Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 05:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Nobody is gonna be outright mean to you, in fact, fake flattery is more likely. People just aren't that rude.
I know that - I already said that. But like I said, their reactions are always very positive and ENTHUSIASTIC. They are very curious as well. And friendly.

I like it. I am just relaying my experiences - which are many and over a period of decades of travel.

I also relayed the experience of my parents - when an entire restaurant erupted in spontaneous applause when they said they were from Texas. Seems a bit over the top for people who simply don't want to be rude.

But hey, maybe people are just responding to other friendly people, who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 05:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Abroad as in overseas? If that is the case, then I don't really think there is a "worst." I doubt that Alabama or Mississippi would even be coming into the minds of those across the world.

Well, isn't THAT a problem if you aren't even in the consciousness of others? Actually, though Alabama I think has some recognition as several foreign automakers and Airbus have plants there.

Last edited by mjlo; 12-09-2019 at 04:11 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Do they dislike Mexicans? Texas' culture is largely Mexican.
Texas culture is largely Mexican is not even CLOSE to accurate! Texas is a majority minority state with above average percentages of Black, Asian, Indian, and even middle eastern residents. Mexico was only a country for under 20 years before Texas won its independence. So its influence never could be that great 180 years ago.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracted85 View Post
Where I'm from most are not really analysing on a state-by-state level and simply wouldn't know enough states. They'd have a general view on America. Average person would probably know New York, Florida, California, Las Vegas(cuz most probably couldn't name the state), Texas and then not much else.

Florida would win hands down as the most known/favourite state as that's where most go for vacation, Las Vegas(ie Nevada) being second.

As for worst reputation I don't know? Possibly Texas as I could see most associate that with guns.

Most associate Texas with guns is an IGNORANT statement. The state has 28 million residents and ranks in the middle of the pack.
http://worldpopulationreview.com/sta...ship-by-state/

https://qz.com/437015/mapped-the-us-...st-gun-deaths/

What states have the most gun owners?
Alabama. ...
New Mexico. ...
Montana. ...
Wyoming. ...
West Virginia. The gun ownership rate in West Virginia is 54.2. ...
Idaho. Idaho's gun ownership rate is 56.9 percent. ...
Arkansas. The gun ownership rate in Arkansas is 57.9 percent. ...
Alaska. Alaska has the highest gun ownership rate in the country at 61.7 percent.

Only California has more Fortune 500 companies than Texas and Texas is second in international trade. You don't get to be as populated and have as much foreign business having a bad rep. Also, the state is in the top five for tourism.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I wonder how foreigners would know much about Chicago's racial history. All of that is pretty much pre 1970s. I think crime is unconnected to race in most peoples minds. New York and LA have just as much crime as far as they know.
NYC is twice as big as Chicago with HALF the murders.
L.A.'s gang violence is barely heard from on national newscast but Chicago's is front and center.

Last edited by mjlo; 12-09-2019 at 04:11 AM..

Old 12-08-2019, 08:07 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
[quote=walker1962;56813079]
Quote:
I wonder how foreigners would know much about Chicago's racial history. All of that is pretty much pre 1970s. I think crime is unconnected to race in most peoples minds. New York and LA have just as much crime as far as they know.[/QUOTE

NYC is twice as big as Chicago with HALF the murders.
L.A.'s gang violence is barely heard from on national newscast but Chicago's is front and center.
I don't hear about it that much. There's sooo much more to Chicago.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:39 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
In my experience the states with bad reputations are the red states - Kansas, Mississippi, Utah, etc. Good reputations are New York, California, Vermont, and so on.

Then again, the non-Americans I talk to are mostly liberal-minded people from liberal countries.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:46 PM

657 posts, read 802,619 times
I think Kathryn is right in a sense, Texas has a sort of cool badass image. It's weird as obviously Texas epitomises everything foreigners generally dislike about America, but with Texas, it just adds to its badass image. Texas has a certain charm that's hard to explain.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:53 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
In my experience the states with bad reputations are the red states - Kansas, Mississippi, Utah, etc. Good reputations are New York, California, Vermont, and so on.

Then again, the non-Americans I talk to are mostly liberal-minded people from liberal countries.
I think non-Americans as a whole are more liberal than we are.

What I don't get is someone thinking foreigners love their state. What would you expect someone's reaction to be? "hey I'm from Omaha?" "Sacre bleu, I hate that place." They're just being polite.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
I think Kathryn is right in a sense, Texas has a sort of cool badass image. It's weird as obviously Texas epitomises everything foreigners generally dislike about America, but with Texas, it just adds to its badass image. Texas has a certain charm that's hard to explain.
I see what you mean! and

And actually, Texas is a pretty moderate state politically. I mean, it leans right but it's a lot more moderate than many other states.

But Texas has a reputation for being very independent (which the people are from what I can tell). I remember when I moved to Texas from the deep south. I was accustomed to a deep south sort of gentility. Oh no, Texas wasn't having any of that. Texans are generally very polite, and very helpful - but you best be doing YOUR best along side them or they will tell you in no uncertain terms how they feel - before they walk off. Once I got used to that undercurrent of independent brusqueness, I embraced it and love it.

Texas is all about hard work and business and being polite to folks - LOL. Except for when driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.