Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

In my experience, Europeans, at least the British at any rate, are familiar with Mississippi as the home of the Blues. This gives it a good reputation.

But there is also the notion that it is very poor and more religious on average than a country that already has a reputation for being religious. That is the bad part.

That's just my experience, though. Having spent a lot of time abroad I have often been the 'American' with the duty of answering to every question and criticism my hosts can muster :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think California and New York have a good reputation overseas.I bet Texas has a bad reputation overseas.
I would think that Texans are, on average, friendlier than New Yorkers and Californians that they'd have a better reputation overseas.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:16 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,912,416 times
Default I know it's difficult to believe but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Please.....I doubt most foreigners know there is an Indiana.
I'm certain they heard of the Indy 500. Where you are willing to believe it or not, it is one of the most popular WORLD sporting event. Open wheel racing is wildly popular around the world and the Indy 500 is the largest and the granddaddy them all. It is also the largest single day sporting event in the world and the largest sporting facility in terms of capacity.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:13 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,409,141 times
My guess is that California probably has the best overall reputation and Texas probably has the most stereotypical reputation (partly true and partly not).

Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I just got back from a trip to Portugal & Spain and did discuss American cities with the locals as well as some folks from France and England.

I mentioned where I lived and the below were the reactions:

NYC - They've all been before and loved it. Some mentioned it's too busy for them. One of them even said it's "very American".
SF - Some have visited and the rest really want to visit. One of them mentioned that SF was always considered "cool" but lately it's become more popular.
Atlanta - Crickets... neither good nor bad.
DC - Some have visited while visiting NYC and others want to visit and then it turned into a Trump discussion. They say all of the visitors from America hate Trump.
Chicago - Not a lot of opinion. One of them visited as a day layover between NYC & SF and said it was nice.

Others they mentioned that they want to visit and see were the Grand Canyon, Miami and basically all of California.
Encourage them to visit Bakersfield.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
I lived in Chicago...for a number of years. In that time, I met plenty of foreigners, who loved the city. You can say what you want, but unless you lived there and experienced the reaction of visitors, you really can't say now, can you. I met people at coffee shops, events, lectures, seminars and dinners. I visited with foreigners on boat tours, and at Navy Pier. I feel I might, perhaps, be a little more qualified to speak on this, just as you might be more qualified to speak on Hawaii.
Exactly. I live near Dallas. The face to face reaction of people visiting Texas from overseas is nothing like the assumptions I'm reading on this thread.

Also, whenever my husband and I travel overseas, and people find out we're from Texas, their faces literally light up and they start barraging us with questions - mostly along the lines of cowboys and the TV show "Dallas" which apparently has been popular in many EU countries for many years. No, we don't ride horses to the store. No, we're not all rich. Yes, Tex Mex food is fabulous and we have plenty of it. Yes, our yards and homes tend to be bigger than average. No, we don't all work in the oil and gas industry. Yes, the cost of living is great. No, not all Hispanics mow yards for a living or are illegal immigrants. That sort of thing.

We have some European friends who love Texas and the south so much that they make it a point to fly into Texas, rent a car, and travel through the south every five years or so. They've been to many other parts of the US, but the region they keep making a point to come back to is Texas and the south. They even looked into moving here but it's difficult to consider leaving adult kids behind, so they decided not to eventually. But they still visit every chance they get.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I would think that Texans are, on average, friendlier than New Yorkers and Californians that they'd have a better reputation overseas.
This Texan has lived and traveled a lot overseas and people tend to be delighted rather than dismayed when they realize we're from Texas. It's a great conversation starter. Maybe they're just being polite but the vast majority of comments have been positive - maybe stereotypically a little ignorant sometimes (for instance, I regularly have gotten questioned about whether or not we ride a horse to the store and whether or not everyone is carrying a gun around) but overall the reaction has been very positive.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,389,839 times
Quote:
Well there's some stereotypes about Texas and some of them are negative but not all of them.I would not know from experience since I have never been out of the US before.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:47 PM

657 posts, read 803,036 times
Quote:
Most people aren't really meeting that many Americans to make or even care about such distinctions. If they meet a friendly American from Texas, that would be applied to all Americans. A rude New Yorker, that would be applied to all Americans. People mostly get the image of people from specific states from US media.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,031 times
I think New York and California get over rated a bit due to NYC, LA and SF. I believe I saw a poll on Europeans and what states they liked the best and they liked Hawaii the best of any state and then Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.