Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:35 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,942,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
I think he's going on a metro basis as opposed to specific cities. For example, Dallas is left of center but Fort Worth and the suburbs are not.
"I also use attitudes towards social issues rather than voting trends specifically"....what social issues keep those locales (Miami, Orlando and Detroit) in the middle ground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2017, 11:39 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Dallas and Atlanta by themselves are left of center on social issues completely. So is Houston but not as far to the left.

Even given social issues, Dallas and Houston are not conservative by metro area but middle of the road. They have lots of conservative and liberal pockets all through the metro. Id throw Phoenix and Atlanta in there too.

If were talking about purely conservative metro areas, the ones that leaps to mind would be OKC, Colorado Springs, and Wichita. Other than that, I cannot think of any one mid-size to large metro area I would consider solidly conservative. Salt Lake City, which was thrown around, is definitely not. I dont know as much about Jacksonville, but the people from there on here say it isnt and Ill take their word for it.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:56 AM

2,134 posts, read 2,118,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Dallas and Atlanta by themselves are left of center on social issues completely. So is Houston but not as far to the left.

Even given social issues, Dallas and Houston are not conservative by metro area but middle of the road. They have lots of conservative and liberal pockets all through the metro. Id throw Phoenix and Atlanta in there too.

If were talking about purely conservative metro areas, the ones that leaps to mind would be OKC, Colorado Springs, and Wichita. Other than that, I cannot think of any one mid-size to large metro area I would consider solidly conservative. Salt Lake City, which was thrown around, is definitely not. I dont know as much about Jacksonville, but the people from there on here say it isnt and Ill take their word for it.
True regarding social issues. The city of Dallas & suburban Plano have anti-discrimination ordinances in places to protect LGBT. The main issue is at the state level, which is very socially conservative.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:59 AM

793 posts, read 1,112,540 times
The OKC metro is conservative, but the central city itself isn't so.

2016 Presidential election:

Last edited by KayneMo; 07-06-2017 at 12:54 PM..

Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If you'd like to answer my question, please make three lists, as follows:

Cities that tilt left (liberal)

Cities that tilt right (conservative)

Middle ground cities

Then place any city you choose in the right category
"Middle ground"? You must mean "moderate".

Too bad we don't have three parties, then we'd see the grey and purple, instead of the black/white, blue/red.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:34 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Dallas is more liberal, Fort Worth is moderate, the rest are conservative.

Old 07-10-2017, 12:46 PM

138 posts, read 151,220 times
Regions are easier to rank than individual cities.

Left: New England, Mid-Atlantic, West Coast
Center: Upper Midwest, Southwest
Right: Great Plains, Lower Midwest, Southeast, Intermountain West

Old 07-10-2017, 01:07 PM

8,631 posts, read 10,152,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City is probably the only truly conservative city in the country with a metro of over 1 million. Most conservative areas are much smaller or are suburbs of major cities (like Tempe, AZ). OKC is an outlier because of how right-wing it is.
What?? Tempe is not a conservative suburb.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
What?? Tempe is not a conservative suburb.
Sorry, I was thinking Mesa but confused it with Tempe because that's where Faithful Word Baptist Church is.

Mesa, AZ is one of the most conservative places in the US.

Old 07-10-2017, 04:57 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,624,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Miami, Orlando and Detroit are all well left of center...
I really don't get how people think Miami & Orlando are middle ground cities. They are one of the most liberal places in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.