Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2020, 03:46 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times

Advertisements

When I posted South Carolina as a state that is considered cool on topic about the coolest states, I got a lot of negative blowback on here.

I guess every city in SC is uncool and I am out of touch.

I would say Florence is the most uncool SC city that has some name recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2020, 04:35 PM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcook1 View Post
I take it you don't have a regular 8 - 5 five day a week kinda job... Because if you do that would be one of the craziest daily commutes ever lol.
Nope. I fly here (to LA) most Monday mornings and go home every Thursday afternoon.

Old 03-03-2020, 04:55 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,411,423 times
Default Cool= White punks on dope

Is that what you mean by cool

Old 03-03-2020, 05:05 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
When I posted South Carolina as a state that is considered cool on topic about the coolest states, I got a lot of negative blowback on here.

I guess every city in SC is uncool and I am out of touch.

I would say Florence is the most uncool SC city that has some name recognition.
It could definitely become cooler in the future as the Research Triangle and Atlanta get more expensive.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:33 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
It has places people admire, but as a state I'd say its reputation is very fundamentalist.

Old 03-03-2020, 08:54 PM

219 posts, read 226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I live in uncool Houston but work in cool LA.

I like being in a city that has little to no tourism. The urban benefits are mostly the same there just isnt any hype to go with it.
What do you do for a living?

Old 03-03-2020, 10:21 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
“Cool” is almost always perception not rooted in reality. Austin does not have a professional sports team either. But it is perceived by some as “cool” whereas Omaha perceived as “uncool”. That is utter nonsense..
Austin is one of the "coolest" cities (by this thread's and C-D's standards) in the U.S., so that's not a good comparison at all. Austin is the capital of Texas, has U-T Austin, SXSW, a bigger urban core..... a lot more going for it than Omaha, so even lacking pro sports, it's able to stay on top of the bunch. Austin's motto is literally "Keep Austin Weird". If Omaha has anything near that to describe it, please let me know.

I wasn't basing my entire post around a city only being cool if it has pro sports. I was just saying pro sports can help to boost a city's "cool" image, particularly with small markets, which Omaha is. I even laid out examples, of Buffalo and OKC.

"Cool" is literally entirely subjective. Cool to one person isn't necessarily cool to the other. But I thought it was pretty clear that this is a generalization of what most people would think. Omaha isn't in the same level of "cool" as Austin, Nashville, etc. This isn't my opinion, it's what I observe from what most people think in both the real world and on this site. To most people I know, Omaha would be considered "uncool". Yes, this is ignorance, so you shouldn't take it seriously. But that's the whole point of this thread.

Quote:
I’ll give you that Omaha is “uncool” in comparison to a “holy grail” City like Austin.. If that’s what you’re asking from me in response to your post.. Also realizing, that opinion is utter nonsense at the same time.
Yes, that is literally the whole point of this thread. It sounds like you just don't like the topic of this thread.

Last edited by CCrest182; 03-03-2020 at 10:31 PM..

Old 03-03-2020, 11:11 PM

561 posts, read 514,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
It sounds like you just don't like the topic of this thread.
Yes! You got this part right..as it’s mostly bathed in utter ignorance (as you stated).

And for the record, I don’t take ignorant nonsense seriously, lol.

Thanks for your response.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:25 AM

8,333 posts, read 5,488,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
What do you do for a living?
I’m a classroom trainer in the airline industry. Our training facility is in downtown LA.

Old 03-04-2020, 08:47 AM

264 posts, read 250,183 times
This is a list of of cities I think are generally perceived as "uncool" but not necessarily so in reality

Omaha
Des Moines
Kansas City (Since I live here, I contest it's not as uncool as people think it is)
Phoenix
Salt Lake City
OKC
Indianapolis
Buffalo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.