Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,885,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daprara View Post
i bet Anchorage has a huge gay scene.
You're probably right considering Alaska is a giant sausage fest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 11:51 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,485,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Atlanta actually sounds perfect for you.
I second the motion.

I think it's Decatur that is really gay friendly, at least from what I've read. Urban area of Atlanta.

Try there and let us know where you decide.

You have as much/many rights as anyone else.

Best of luck to you.

Old 10-01-2017, 07:42 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I second the motion.

I think it's Decatur that is really gay friendly, at least from what I've read. Urban area of Atlanta.

Try there and let us know where you decide.

You have as much/many rights as anyone else.

Best of luck to you.
Decatur itself is okay in terms of LGBT population but it trends more toward the women. Midtown, Virginia-Highlands and Little Five Points are the neighborhoods with a heavy/heavier gay male presence.

Old 10-01-2017, 02:54 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Phoenix? Weather is good from October to later May for outdoor activities. Less congested versus LA. Lots of concrete, but older neighborhood in Central Phoenix might work. Affordable. And, gays are very much accepted.

Old 10-02-2017, 03:32 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
As a gay man in his 20s.. I'd second the Twin Cities. You're talking about 1,500 for a 2 bedroom? I live in a five bedroom two-storey house that's 1,500 a month.

Super gay friendly. Minneapolis is 16% LGBT (in the adult population alone, and as time goes on and people age, that number will increase) with progressive pro-gay laws.

Very outdoorsy. People here love jogging, they love fishing, hiking, boating, swimming, tubing, water skiing, snowshoeing, skiing, ice skating, pond hockey etc. etc. The winters are so cold, that they actually enable you to go outside and enjoy the frozen snowy landscape. Unlike a milder city where winters are still cold, grey, slushy and brown. Winters here are like Christmas cards. Plenty of snow for snowmobiling, sledding, etc. and the lakes freeze over and everyone goes skating and ice fishing. If you're stuck inside all winter long, then you were never truly outdoorsy!

Summers are a cake walk especially compared to Texas where I used to live. I don't even have AC. No central cooling nor window unit. I use a fan when its hot.

It's the Midwest so cost of living is very low especially compared to the coast.

Old 10-03-2017, 11:27 AM

101 posts, read 91,662 times
Houston, might be a good fit depending on how much you like high humidity, and flatness; but on the plus side high humidity keeps the temperatures in the double digits. Plus you are close to the sea and some good forested trails. On a personal note I like flat places because of the ability to see for miles.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 2,379 times
I think the Boston area could be worth considering. It has a very different vibe than California but overall is pretty well-rounded. The weather is not as bad as some people think although there definitely are some bad months in the winter.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Decatur itself is okay in terms of LGBT population but it trends more toward the women. Midtown, Virginia-Highlands and Little Five Points are the neighborhoods with a heavy/heavier gay male presence.
Yeah, Decatur has a pretty large lesbian population. It's jokingly referred to in some circles here as 'Dick-hater.'

You're very informed Kyle, so I'm sure you're also aware that there's a subway station under the Square as well.

It's a very cool little suburb. Cozy, dense, increasingly urban and a thriving Downtown with great restaurants & bars. Unfortunately, it's become very expensive to live there due to it's desirability and location.

There are also large swaths of gay folks in DeKalb County north of Decatur. The North Druid Hills Census tract has one of the highest percentages of gay couples in the Country.

Atlanta is a gay mecca, and has been for decades. It's pretty easy to live very comfortably across large areas of the Metro. There's even an out Korean-American State Legislator from far northern Gwinnett County now, about 30 miles from Downtown.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
To the OP

Your list should include:

Denver- They do have some weather extremes but it's a fair trade with the mountains so close. It is getting pricey unfortunately.

Atlanta- A well rounded city and the northern burbs are gorgeous. Summers are a tad humid and warm but it's not unbearable. and hey more pool parties.

Charlotte and Raleigh NC- These two up and coming cities have all the good things cities offer and not a lot of the bad. Not too much concrete and crime. Especially Raleigh it's hella safe. Mountains and Beach quite close.

Richmond, VA- Not my favorite city just because I don't like Virginia's old fashioned politics. However. This city hits all the nails on the head minus maybe the gay scene?

Sacramento- Near perfect?

San Diego- Near perfect? but pricey.

Minneapolis/St. Paul- Horrid winters but otherwise a great choice.

Pittsburgh- See Minneapolis.
Old fashioned politics? GA, TX, PA and NC politics make VA seem like a utopia.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
There's a sizable gay population in Richmond. There isn't a scene per se but the community is large, political, supports LGBTQ cultural institutions but there isn't much in the way of a scene. ***** Richmond integrated itself into the general bar scene a decade or two ago. There is no gayborhood but you'll see gay people ( PDAs) pretty much everywhere. There is a large trans population and it's pretty common for people your age to identify as *****.

I'm not necessarily recommending the city for you. It is a pretty introverted town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.