Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 AM

92 posts, read 128,191 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are both medical professionals and can move anywhere. We have 2 athletic daughters and another baby on the way. We are done with oppressive heat and humidity in Fl.

We have looked at Minnesota which has everything we want, but we are concerned about length of winter. We still may end up in Mn, but I am looking at other options

We love the west coast, but we want to live in a nice, new house, and cant spend 800k on that in the west....our budget is 500-600k for housing, which seems to be a piece of crap house in boulder or further west.

We would like a newer or master plannned community, in a place with all 4 seasons, lots of parks, trails, and out door opportunities(whatever they may be), and not in Southeast United States

Any suggestions.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 09:37 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,897,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
My wife and I are both medical professionals and can move anywhere. We have 2 athletic daughters and another baby on the way. We are done with oppressive heat and humidity in Fl.

We have looked at Minnesota which has everything we want, but we are concerned about length of winter. We still may end up in Mn, but I am looking at other options

We love the west coast, but we want to live in a nice, new house, and cant spend 800k on that in the west....our budget is 500-600k for housing, which seems to be a piece of crap house in boulder or further west.

We would like a newer or master plannned community, in a place with all 4 seasons, lots of parks, trails, and out door opportunities(whatever they may be), and not in Southeast United States

Any suggestions.....
You do realize Boulder is one of the most expensive cities in the Denver Metro area, right? 500k-600k will get you a nice house in Castle Rock, Parker, Highlands Ranch, or Littleton.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:29 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Look into this community, but keep in mind that it has an HOA and the property taxes can be high in relation to home prices: Radisson Community Association, Inc - Home Page

It is in a good school district in a growing suburban area, with good sports programs(girls volleyball, girls lacrosse, girls soccer and girls basketball are very good to solid). Baldwinsville Central School District

This may be another one to look into: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gananda,_New_York
Its school district: Gananda CSD

Another one: Riverton Community Association - Home
School District: Rush Henrietta Central School District (usually very good girls basketball and indoor and outdoor track teams)

Old 09-26-2017, 02:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,791,444 times
That price point is still above the middle of the market in Hershey, PA, home to Welcome - Penn State Health and less winter than upstate NY or MN.

Here's one development that might be the sort of thing you're interested in: The Point in Hummelstown, PA by Charter Homes & Neighborhoods

Old 09-26-2017, 03:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post

Any suggestions.....
Minnesota winters are harsh compared to most, but they still aren't intolerable (unless you plain can't handle the cold). The winter months are really only December-February that it snows and is cold. If you want four seasons, winter is a season, thus you will have to deal with it anywhere if you truly want 4 seasons.

Minnesota is a great place. Very clean, affordable, etc...

Old 09-26-2017, 04:14 PM

Thank your for all your kind responses. I recieved a PM about Meridian Idaho, which seems to meet much of our criteria. I may need to take a visit.
But Mn is still at top of our list.
Please keep recomendations comming

Old 09-26-2017, 05:14 PM

760 posts, read 883,915 times
Winters in Minnesota are not bad at all.

The nice thing is that the twin cities does a very good job at providing amenities that make the cold easier to handle. Most of downtown is connected by skywalks, transit areas have heated waiting areas, most buildings have heated parking, there are tons of events, sports, and attractions to keep you busy. Snow removal is also very efficient. You are actually able to enjoy the winters in Minnesota. I would rather spend a long winter in MN, than a mild one in say...Missouri.

In every other city I have lived, winters are just dead. No one does anything, events come to a halt, the vibe is always depressing...even in Denver! But in Minnesota, the people keep moving, and the season doesn't feel depressing at all.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:18 PM

707 posts, read 750,953 times
El Paso, Albuquerque, maybe Tucson if you can stand one of those seasons being scorching hot. The latter two are an adventurer's dream.

Old 09-27-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post

The nice thing is that the twin cities does a very good job at providing amenities that make the cold easier to handle. Most of downtown is connected by skywalks, transit areas have heated waiting areas, most buildings have heated parking, there are tons of events, sports, and attractions to keep you busy. Snow removal is also very efficient. You are actually able to enjoy the winters in Minnesota. I would rather spend a long winter in MN, than a mild one in say...Missouri.

In every other city I have lived, winters are just dead. No one does anything, events come to a halt, the vibe is always depressing...even in Denver! But in Minnesota, the people keep moving, and the season doesn't feel depressing at all.
Mn ski

That is profound.
You would rather spend a long winter in Mn than a shorter winter in another city.

That says a lot!!!

I think you have convinced my wife with that line.

Maybe we will cross paths nordic skiing at Elm Creek Park sometime

Old 09-27-2017, 07:29 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,709,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post

Agreed when I lived in Chicago area people just stayed inside and complained. Kids hardly went outside sledding. Very few people seemed to enjoy winter.

Back now in the Twin Cities - we have ice castles and winter festivals and pond hockey tournaments and ice fishing and cross country skiing and all the lakes are used for ice skating etc... sled hills are packed, people bike all winter long. It's just a different vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.