Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 06:54 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,552,972 times

Advertisements

I’m in south Texas today. The heat had been stifling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
You are definitely right about the south having seasons. Before coming all the way to MN, I lived in Texas, having moved from South Florida. South Florida has no seasons, I'll give you that much, but Texas does. Sure they're more subtle, but they're still distinct and exist. Spring is blue bonnets and mild weather, except for storms. Summer is hot as balls. Fall comes a little late but the cool weather is heavenly when it does arrive, plus football season is fun! Foliage is more around Thanksgiving than Halloweenbut at least its before December. Winter is cool, brown but sometimes, albeit rarely, white.

It's funny you brought up football season. It was one year where I finally realized the Texas heat was enough. Texas and Ohio St were set to play in week 2 and both had some patsies scheduled for week 1. I forgot Texas's opponent (could look up, but immaterial). Ohio St was playing UNI I think. Anyway, the temperature for the Texas game was in the mid 90's, the temp in Columbus was 69. I envied how comfortable their temps were and I believe football should not pe played in 100 degree heat.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I told my husband that I would wake him up when I get up (usually about 6:30 am) if the temps were below 70 but I had mercy on him. The morning temp at 7 am this morning was 68. It felt great outside but I let him sleep in anyway.

It still feels fantastic out there to me. In fact, it looks like the whole next week will be comfortable to me, and filled with sunshine. I feel that pool calling!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:16 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's funny you brought up football season. It was one year where I finally realized the Texas heat was enough. Texas and Ohio St were set to play in week 2 and both had some patsies scheduled for week 1. I forgot Texas's opponent (could look up, but immaterial). Ohio St was playing UNI I think. Anyway, the temperature for the Texas game was in the mid 90's, the temp in Columbus was 69. I envied how comfortable their temps were and I believe football should not pe played in 100 degree heat.
I knew it should have been enough when I first moved to Texas. My first year I went to a preseason Dallas Cowboys game in the old Texas Stadium. It was a day game, officially 103 degrees at DFW, hotter in the parking lots, and definitely hotter inside the stadium. It was also my first exposure to the Texas dry laws - no beer was sold or allowed in the stadium. I think my brain got cooked because I remember almost nothing about the game after entering the stadium. The only good part of the experience was that the Cowboys lost.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I knew it should have been enough when I first moved to Texas. My first year I went to a preseason Dallas Cowboys game in the old Texas Stadium. It was a day game, officially 103 degrees at DFW, hotter in the parking lots, and definitely hotter inside the stadium. It was also my first exposure to the Texas dry laws - no beer was sold or allowed in the stadium. I think my brain got cooked because I remember almost nothing about the game after entering the stadium. The only good part of the experience was that the Cowboys lost.
Lived in Texas for 30+ years. When it was hot in late September and October, I kept saying it was an anomaly. Like "it's not normally this hot." But I kept saying it over and over again.

Funny, I spoke to someone from California yesterday and he claimed "it's like 100 degrees out here." I looked up the weather, it was 81. People from the coasts have no idea how hot Texas and the south are.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:05 AM

6,792 posts, read 4,236,377 times
What's funny about that is that I remember watching college games down South, and it'd be late October, early November and people would be walking around in golf shirts and shorts. It made me really jealous of that. Meanwhile you'd see the likes of Lloyd Carr or Barry Alvarez all bundled up wearing coats and gloves...

Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
What's funny about that is that I remember watching college games down South, and it'd be late October, early November and people would be walking around in golf shirts and shorts. It made me really jealous of that. Meanwhile you'd see the likes of Lloyd Carr or Barry Alvarez all bundled up wearing coats and gloves...
For sure. There's not a right answer here. Different strokes. BTW, Barry may not have been bundling, he was just a pudgy guy.

I don't believe late October in the midwest is severe weather though.

Stores are already pushing fall decorations. In Texas, that feels odd.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:34 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
For sure. There's not a right answer here. Different strokes. BTW, Barry may not have been bundling, he was just a pudgy guy.

I don't believe late October in the midwest is severe weather though.

Stores are already pushing fall decorations. In Texas, that feels odd.
Late October into November historically is the start of the snows for the northern Lake Effect belts, Fall is about over and leaves are off the trees.

Old 08-19-2020, 12:45 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
We have fall colors here in NE Texas around Thanksgiving.

I always put out my fall decorations in September, but it's still hot here. October is one of my very favorite months here though. One thing I always love is how deep blue the sky gets in October and November here. I just love it, along with the cool mornings and evenings of October.

Last year we had snow flurries a few days before Thanksgiving - or maybe it was the year before, I don't remember now. And we had a white Christmas here a few years ago, even though it was only an inch or two and was (thankfully) quite gone in a few hours. But another of my favorite months is January, when it usually IS cold enough for a fire in the fireplace, a cup of tea and a book beside it, dogs laying out in front of it, and cloudy, gray, drippy and sometimes icy weather outside. You know why I love it so much? Because it's different - and it only lasts about six weeks! By the time the bluebonnets are blooming and I'm back in jackets or just long sleeved shirts (early spring) I'm tired of it being cold and gray.

Old 08-20-2020, 11:37 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,266,781 times
Quote:
Funny, I spoke to someone from California yesterday and he claimed "it's like 100 degrees out here." I looked up the weather, it was 81. People from the coasts have no idea how hot Texas and the south are.
Maybe he lives inland in California where it actually gets hot, hotter than Texas and the South.

Last edited by kemahkami; 08-20-2020 at 11:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.