Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, that isn't brisk fall weather. That would be temperatures 20F colder than that with wind. However, you live in Texas at a very low latitude with a brutal sun angle. Even 73F would feel exceptionally warm to me at that location.
Well, to each his own! Personally I love it.

Today it was about 40 degrees when I got up. Brrrr! Fire pit season is upon us!

And the really cool thing is that we can sit outside in the evening with the firepit going nearly every night from mid October through April. WOOHOOOOOOO! I need a cord of firewood...hmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I personally wouldn't wear a jacket if it were 73F (unless it were raining and/or windy) but I know many people who would. It's not that complicated.

But, if it were 73F/50F as this Kathryn person suggested, I'd definitely bring a jacket if I were planning to stay more than a few moments outside. 73F is the absolute high, most of the day will be somewhere between 50F and 73F and 60s is quite chilly with no jacket if there is no sun to warm you up.
Right - when I was running around yesterday morning, it was in the 50s and low 60s and I was wishing I had a light jacket on!

Weather opinions are subjective. I will be the first to admit that I don't like some of the heat we have here in Texas in August and September. And occasionally, we have a Christmas with highs in the 60s and I don't much care for that either. But no place has perfect weather to me - weather is capricious. I'm willing to put up with a few negatives for all the positives. I'm a southern girl. I'm used to heat and humidity. In fact, I love what humidity does for my skin and hair! I don't even really start to feel hot till it gets around 95 degrees and that's the truth. Lower than that and I'm generally stepping outside and saying, "Wow, what a beautiful day!" as I look up at that big, blue Texas sky.

My husband and I have the unique gift to be able to truly live anywhere we want, as long as we have an international airport close by, due to his job. So we looked at various regions and many states - and decided we just love living in Texas - and part of what we love is the mild winters (though we did have a white Christmas a few years ago!).

Actually my very favorite state is Virginia, but Texas is a close second. I love the weather in the coastal areas of Virginia - even factoring in hurricanes!

Old 10-17-2017, 01:58 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - when I was running around yesterday morning, it was in the 50s and low 60s and I was wishing I had a light jacket on!

Weather opinions are subjective. I will be the first to admit that I don't like some of the heat we have here in Texas in August and September. And occasionally, we have a Christmas with highs in the 60s and I don't much care for that either. But no place has perfect weather to me - weather is capricious. I'm willing to put up with a few negatives for all the positives. I'm a southern girl. I'm used to heat and humidity. In fact, I love what humidity does for my skin and hair! I don't even really start to feel hot till it gets around 95 degrees and that's the truth. Lower than that and I'm generally stepping outside and saying, "Wow, what a beautiful day!" as I look up at that big, blue Texas sky.

My husband and I have the unique gift to be able to truly live anywhere we want, as long as we have an international airport close by, due to his job. So we looked at various regions and many states - and decided we just love living in Texas - and part of what we love is the mild winters (though we did have a white Christmas a few years ago!).

Actually my very favorite state is Virginia, but Texas is a close second. I love the weather in the coastal areas of Virginia - even factoring in hurricanes!
90s in October are a little much.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
90s in October are a little much.
So don't live here - everybody wins!

Personally -after living in several regions of this country and overseas, so I do speak with some real life experience bolstering my preferences (and I also know there's no place with what I would call perfect weather) - I prefer short winters that aren't snowy. I don't mind a dusting of snow a few times, or one snowfall every few years of several inches, but that's my own personal preference. So this means that usually, the exchange (and there's always an exchange -in any region) is that we have longer periods of warmer weather.

So if 90 degrees in October also means 70 degrees as a high consistently in March, and 218 days of sunny weather a year, I'm good!

Meanwhile, it's mid October in northeast Texas and my forecast for the next ten days is highs in the 70s and 60s and lows in the 40s and 50s. Two days of possible rain with lows in the low 60s those days. But the rest of the time, it's clear skies with abundant sunshine during the day and lots of stars at night. Just filled up the hot tub! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Gotta buy some more wood for the fire pit - we sat out by it last night and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to using it nearly every night for the next 7 months! We use our outdoor living area just about every night for about ten months out of the year (September and June - no fire pit though - LOL). We love it!

I get that you don't like Texas weather and that's fine. I do like it so I guess we're at an impasse.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
Quote:

Personally -after living in several regions of this country and overseas, so I do speak with some real life experience bolstering my preferences (and I also know there's no place with what I would call perfect weather) - I prefer short winters that aren't snowy. I don't mind a dusting of snow a few times, or one snowfall every few years of several inches, but that's my own personal preference. So this means that usually, the exchange (and there's always an exchange -in any region) is that we have longer periods of warmer weather.

So if 90 degrees in October also means 70 degrees as a high consistently in March, and 218 days of sunny weather a year, I'm good!

I get that you don't like Texas weather and that's fine. I do like it so I guess we're at an impasse.
There is one exception... coastal California

Old 10-19-2017, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If you don't like a lot of wind, you're outta luck even there. Plus, a lot of people would consider the cost of living to be too high or have other issues with living in California, so there's that. And then, there are people (like me for instance) who prefer higher average highs in the summer. When it's summer time I want it to average at least 85 degrees - preferably more like 90.

Old 10-19-2017, 05:41 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,303,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If you want to sacrifice plentiful rainfall, sure.

Old 10-19-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Meanwhile, it's mid October in northeast Texas and my forecast for the next ten days is highs in the 70s and 60s and lows in the 40s and 50s. Two days of possible rain with lows in the low 60s those days. But the rest of the time, it's clear skies with abundant sunshine during the day and lots of stars at night. Just filled up the hot tub! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!! Gotta buy some more wood for the fire pit - we sat out by it last night and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to using it nearly every night for the next 7 months! We use our outdoor living area just about every night for about ten months out of the year (September and June - no fire pit though - LOL). We love it!

A comment like that shows how sensitive and thin skinned you are and I love it. "You don't like it? Don't come, we don't want you anyway."

Tyler's high on Saturday is 84, not quite 70s but go ahead and break out the boots and start that fire pit.

218 days of sunshine? I live in Denver. 300 days....

Old 10-20-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
A comment like that shows how sensitive and thin skinned you are and I love it. "You don't like it? Don't come, we don't want you anyway."

Tyler's high on Saturday is 84, not quite 70s but go ahead and break out the boots and start that fire pit.

218 days of sunshine? I live in Denver. 300 days....
I'm glad you love where you live. I love where I live. And that's what I mean by "don't move here - everybody wins." You clearly don't like East Texas weather, and apparently feel there's some sort of competition but I can assure you it's only in your mind, not mine. I just happen to love living here, and I will take the heat in early fall in exchange for not ever, ever, ever having to shovel snow.

There are definitely elements to Colorado's weather and natural terrain that I do not care for but I won't go into all that because overall, Colorado has it's charms, even though I wouldn't want to live there. Nice place to visit, though, I guess. At certain times of year. Kinda like just about any other place in the world.

And 218 days of sunshine is plenty for me - I like the occasional rain - throw in some big storms and rumbling thunder and I'm even happier! I don't like living in dry regions (been there, done that, no thanks).

By the way, and this is just my own opinion, temps on Saturday night will be in the 60s, so if I was going to be here, I probably would light up the fire pit, but I'll be out of state over the weekend. Thanks for caring though! By the time we get back, temps in the evening will be in the 40s with a high of around 70 during the day, and lots of sunshine. Perfect fire pit weather! For about the next 7 straight months. WHOOOHOOOOO!s

I just want to point something out to you in case you've missed it in our conversations before: Due to the nature of his job, my husband and I could choose to live basically anywhere in the world we want to live. After mulling this over, traveling to various regions (and countries), considering all our options we chose northeast Texas. So your attempts to denigrate the weather or region really are not impressing me in any way. I know you prefer not to live here. I prefer to live here. Like I said, everybody wins!

Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you love where you live. I love where I live. And that's what I mean by "don't move here - everybody wins." You clearly don't like East Texas weather, and apparently feel there's some sort of competition but I can assure you it's only in your mind, not mine. I just happen to love living here, and I will take the heat in early fall in exchange for not ever, ever, ever having to shovel snow.

There are definitely elements to Colorado's weather and natural terrain that I do not care for but I won't go into all that because overall, Colorado has it's charms, even though I wouldn't want to live there. Nice place to visit, though, I guess. At certain times of year. Kinda like just about any other place in the world.

And 218 days of sunshine is plenty for me - I like the occasional rain - throw in some big storms and rumbling thunder and I'm even happier! I don't like living in dry regions (been there, done that, no thanks).

By the way, and this is just my own opinion, temps on Saturday night will be in the 60s, so if I was going to be here, I probably would light up the fire pit, but I'll be out of state over the weekend. Thanks for caring though! By the time we get back, temps in the evening will be in the 40s with a high of around 70 during the day, and lots of sunshine. Perfect fire pit weather! For about the next 7 straight months. WHOOOHOOOOO!s

I just want to point something out to you in case you've missed it in our conversations before: Due to the nature of his job, my husband and I could choose to live basically anywhere in the world we want to live. After mulling this over, traveling to various regions (and countries), considering all our options we chose northeast Texas. So your attempts to denigrate the weather or region really are not impressing me in any way. I know you prefer not to live here. I prefer to live here. Like I said, everybody wins!
Oh BS, you are always replying to anything that you deem is negative to Texas. You did it in the other thread as well. I'm stating facts. "hey, it was 94 in Dallas today. Pretty hot in October." Your rebuttal is always full of anger. Saying Texas is hot is not a negative at all. It's a fact. Now the fact that you try to spin things in your favor is on you. You were just as antagonistic in the other weather thread.

I get that you love Texas, hell, I lived there for 30 years, but there's a world outside of Texas, and maybe Texans need to know that at some point.

And if Denver is like any place in the world, what makes Tyler so special?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.