Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2020, 12:29 PM

148 posts, read 176,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
It's not an endearing or redeeming quality of any city.

You want to see what a truly amazing and remarkably clean city looks like? Try Oslo. Or Minneapolis
Not anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 12:33 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,706,247 times
For me there is non. They’re nice to see, I prefer newer cities to live

Old 10-26-2020, 01:41 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am the type of person that likes nice clean cities full of beautiful greenery. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why would you seek filthy, graffiti sprayed crumbling neighborhoods absent of ANY form of green growing things? This may sound snarky, I don't mean it to be, but please explain to me the appeal of grit!

If you want nice clean cities full of beautiful greenery, then you'd love Singapore, my friend.

It is known as the Garden City. Go on Google Streetview and tour around Singapore. Even the freeways there feature manicured landscaping. So much tropical landscaping, such well maintained, well planned neighborhoods, that it feels like you're driving on the roads surrounding Disney world.

Parks, biking trails, green roofs everywhere. Entire skyscrapers are being built with hanging gardens and green walls. Even the Singapore Changi Airport looks like a scene out of Eden.

That is my kind of city, too. I'll take Singapore anyday over the grit of SF. I know SF has parks and is just across the Golden Gate from. National Recreation Area, but it's not like Singapore, which is well planned, clean, and green all throughout the city.

I also love how green and clean the North Atlanta suburbs are. My hometown of Irvine is also a very affluent, well planned suburb with one third of the land area preserved as wilderness, with lots of mountain biking and hiking trails and lots of manicured landacaping, parks, and urban biking trails throughout, but alas, it's in an arid Mediterranean climate where the green season is short lived and happens in late winter and early spring.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsomeBill View Post
In Dallas or Phoenix yes, but places like Boston or Philadelphia, no. That's where the character in suburbs really comes out.
Basically the Boston and Philly burbs are full of character cause they're old. Basically old neighborhoods are good and charming while new neighborhoods are sterile, bland, and soulless. Basically ANY neighborhood was considered soulless when it was new and when it ages it suddenly gets considered as a neighborhood with character.

Kind of like how the Eiffel Tower was considered a giant industrial metal monster and eyesore in its day but today it is classic and charming.

Old 10-26-2020, 02:24 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,892,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
when they redid it they likely lots the grit. This is grit

in an highly urban and functional sense
Lots and lots of grit in Milwaukee...it's often beautiful, though.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0394...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mi...!4d-87.9080683

Old 10-26-2020, 03:16 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Umm...

I feel like there a lot of grit in Milwaukee just based off demographics, crime, economy etc

But you keep showing me places that look VERY clean and gentrified. I’d rather just see regular Milwaukeee neighborhoods. The ones you show me- they have classical architecture but aren’t gritty at all. At least not to someone from the northeast such as myself.

Even in Boston those areas would be consider extremely upscale. Let alone NYC Philly or Bmore. just my opinion though

Old 10-26-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Umm...

I feel like there a lot of grit in Milwaukee just based off demographics, crime, economy etc

But you keep showing me places that look VERY clean and gentrified. I’d rather just see regular Milwaukeee neighborhoods. The ones you show me- they have classical architecture but aren’t gritty at all. At least not to someone from the northeast such as myself.

Even in Boston those areas would be consider extremely upscale. Let alone NYC Philly or Bmore. just my opinion though
Of course there are bad neighborhoods in Milwaukee...as there are in any city of size. The "bad" are not bad, though, compared to a lot of cities. I thought we were talking more "urban" here, than residential.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:29 PM

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0603...7i16384!8i8192

To me, the street in Milwaukee that I most don't like to drive down. There are others, of course, but this one I don't like. There is the museum on the corner, that is quite well known, but otherwise, I avoid this area.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:07 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,522,132 times
Suburbanite here. I love old, repurposed buildings. Historic. Unique architecture. But I hate grime, trash, busted windows, crap on streets/sidewalks, weeds/unkept areas, non-artistic graffiti (ie gang tagging, defacing), etc. I find absolutely no "character" in any of that. I live in suburban Charlotte and love how clean the city is, even its uptown area; especially for a city its size. I've also found Orlando, Tampa, Dallas, Denver, and Salt Lake City to be clean as well. There's a peacefulness and relaxing aura in that to me. But some would find that "boring", and that's fine. I just don't find grit "interesting". This is just my own preference. I'm totally to each his own and respect that.

Old 10-26-2020, 07:11 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
It seems there’s a gradient ....

Old->gritty>-blighted ?

or

High end->modern->traditional/old->gritty->run down->blighted ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.