Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 10:19 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,885,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
Right? There is nothing appealing about an area that looks like it’s on its last leg imo. I can appreciate a city that looks like it cares to look nice much more.
Gritty and slums are different. I posted an example of gritty, and there's nothing that's not appealing about it. Gritty is not boarded up....slums are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:21 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,031,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am the type of person that likes nice clean cities full of beautiful greenery. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why would you seek filthy, graffiti sprayed crumbling neighborhoods absent of ANY form of green growing things? This may sound snarky, I don't mean it to be, but please explain to me the appeal of grit!
It's an authenticity thing to them.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:16 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,218,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The suburbanites are out in attack!
^^^ just gonna leave this here again

Old 11-07-2017, 11:28 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Put me in the "a little grit, please" camp.

Happily moving to Milwaukee on Friday.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:37 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Gritty neighborhoods are the incubators of innovation and small business. Entrepreneurs wishing to open a new restaurant, gallery, boutique, etc. are priced out of the more polished parts of town by corporate giants such as Starbucks, Pottery Barn, PF Chang's, Gap, etc. This means that the small start-ups in the grittier neighborhoods are locally owned, keeping money in the community rather exporting it to LA, NYC and other places far away. In addition, they imbue their neighborhoods with a unique "feel" rather than the United Colors of Benetton encroaching everywhere else we look.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:54 PM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Gritty neighborhoods are the incubators of innovation and small business. Entrepreneurs wishing to open a new restaurant, gallery, boutique, etc. are priced out of the more polished parts of town by corporate giants such as Starbucks, Pottery Barn, PF Chang's, Gap, etc. This means that the small start-ups in the grittier neighborhoods are locally owned, keeping money in the community rather exporting it to LA, NYC and other places far away. In addition, they imbue their neighborhoods with a unique "feel" rather than the United Colors of Benetton encroaching everywhere else we look.
Charleston and Savannah and the Garden District of New Orleans are examples of places that are extremely "polished" yet NOT overrun with national chains and are still dominated by small locally owned businesses and startups. I believe a lot of Austin, Texas is like that too.

Old 11-07-2017, 01:57 PM

10,221 posts, read 15,917,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
That doesn't look gritty to me at all. Just an alley and cleaner than most I've seen.
Yes in a "gritty" city like Baltimore there will be graffiti covering the walls, the windows will be boarded up and there will be trash littering the pavement.......I also understand New York City was quite gritty in the 70s and 80s (before Rudy Giuliani cleaned things up) and not as much today. I wonder who misses the bad old days there.....

Old 11-07-2017, 01:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I am the type of person that likes nice clean cities full of beautiful greenery. I do believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why would you seek filthy, graffiti sprayed crumbling neighborhoods absent of ANY form of green growing things? This may sound snarky, I don't mean it to be, but please explain to me the appeal of grit!
It just seems more natural and real to me... there has to be a middle ground though, not all out piles of trash in the street but no perfectly cut grass and trimmed bushes either.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:06 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes in a "gritty" city like Baltimore there will be graffiti covering the walls, the windows will be boarded up and there will be trash littering the pavement.......I also understand New York City was quite gritty in the 70s and 80s (before Rudy Giuliani cleaned things up) and not as much today. I wonder who misses the bad old days there.....
Actually, David Dinkins was the mayor when NYC was starting to get cleaned up. https://mobile.nytimes.com/2009/10/2....html?referer=

Criticism for Giuliani's 'Broken Windows' Theory - Business Insider

Old 11-07-2017, 02:56 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,254,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Charleston and Savannah and the Garden District of New Orleans are examples of places that are extremely "polished" yet NOT overrun with national chains and are still dominated by small locally owned businesses and startups. I believe a lot of Austin, Texas is like that too.
Well, there’s a Pottery Barn on King Street and 2 Starbucks within a few blocks of one another in Savannah’s historic core. The economy driver of the core of both of those cities is tourism. Businesses that rely on tourists’ dollars can get by with a more inferior quality than those those that rely on the return business of their neighbors. Also, it is much more affordable to open and run a business in a gritty neighborhood than to run that same business in the center of a city’s tourist section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.