Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 08:02 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times

Advertisements

What am I wrong about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 08:06 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
What am I wrong about?

//www.city-data.com/forum/50176863-post12.html

Old 11-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Here is New York Times map of SC's election results by county. Note Hillary won several rural counties, and urban counties that she won like Richland where Columbia is have a ton of poor people. I guarantee you Trump received very few votes in the poor areas of Richland and CHarleston counties.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...south-carolina

Trump won the more affluent and populated counties of Greenville, Lexington (near Columbia), York (near Charlotte), Horry (Mrytle Beach), Aiken, Beaufort (Hilton Head).

Marion County is easily one of the most depressed counties in SC, HIllary received 60 percent of the votes and won by 22 points.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:09 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Here is New York Times map of SC's election results by county. Note Hillary won several rural counties, and urban counties that she won like Richland where Columbia is have a ton of poor people. I guarantee you Trump received very little votes in the poor areas of Richland and CHarleston counties.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...south-carolina
.....that still doesn't negate the fact that MOST wealthy counties in the US are "blue" and MOST poor counties in the US are "red"

That you were trying to claim that there are more poor people that vote for democrats than poor people that vote for Republicans is statistically FALSE.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
.....that still doesn't negate the fact that MOST wealthy counties in the US are "blue" and MOST poor counties in the US are "red"

That you were trying to claim that there are more poor people that vote for democrats than poor people that vote for Republicans is statistically FALSE.
Ok, I had always thought Democrats said they are the party of and for poor people.

It is kind of surprising that REpublicans do better among the poor than Democrats, as you claim, given their respective platforms on government spending, welfare and taxes.

I don't think that I ever restricted my comments to counties. Most of the poor people in number live in the big cites.

I would argue that Democrats like to focus on rural counties to push the notion that Republicans are more poor. But the GOP does better with white people across all income levels, and rural areas especially outside of the south tend to be more white.

The reason big cities tend to vote Democrat is they have larger black populations and in some cases larger Hispanic populations compared to less populated areas. I don't think it is tied to wealth or education.

The fact that Trump won a majority of college educated white people underscores this.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-19-2017 at 08:22 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 08:16 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,649 times
Blue
California
Hawaii
Oregon
Washington
Colorado
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Michigan
Illinois
Ohio
Maine
Vermont
New Hampshire
New York
Maryland
Delaware
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Rhode Island
North Virginia
Pennsylvania

Red
Florida
Georgia
Carolinas
rest of Virginia
West Virginia
Tennessee
Kentucky
Indiana
Alabama
Mississippi
Louisiana
Arkansas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Missouri
Utah
Arizona
Texas
Alaska
Dakotas
Nebraska
Wyoming
Montana
Idaho
Nevada
New Mexico

Old 11-19-2017, 08:25 PM

Here is NY Times map of Mississippi's county election results. The poorest areas in MS tend to be near the Miss River and HIllary dominated there. Trump won Madison country, the affluent suburb near Jackson, the largest metro in MS. He also cleaned up in DeSoto County, outside of Memphis, with 65 percent of the vote.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/mississippi

Trump even won college town Oxford's county by 15 points.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:37 PM

Here is NY TIme's Alabama county election results. https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama

Trump won Madison county, home to Huntsville, which has a lot of good jobs related to NASA and the Department of Defense. A lot of smart educated people live in Huntsville. He won it 55 to 38. It is one of the most populated counties in Alabama, probably in top 4.

He also won easily in the college town counties of Auburn and Tuscaloosa.

These kind of election results are why I get confused when I see liberals on here asserting Democrats are rich and Republicans are poor. Any federal tax revenue flowing to red states from blue states probably isn't going to many Republican voters based on these results.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:43 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,782,856 times
Quote:
Here is NY TIme's Alabama county election results. https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/alabama

Trump won Madison county, home to Huntsville, which has a lot of good jobs related to NASA and the Department of Defense. A lot of smart educated people live in Huntsville. He won it 55 to 38. It is one of the most populated counties in Alabama, probably in top 4.

He also won easily in the college towns of Auburn and Tuscaloosa.
Income and voting patterns seen in the South are not necessarily true for the rest of the country.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Income and voting patterns seen in the South are not necessarily true for the rest of the country.
I think it is similar thoughout the country if you isolate by race. Democrats obviously do better in areas with less white people.

That's why California went from a state that Reagan won to being dominated by Democratic party. The racial demographics changed via immigration. California was just as affluent relative to the rest of the country back in the 80s as it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.