Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 11:18 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This one is merely a flight of fantasy, nothing more. Merely a game of "let's pretend". No right or wrong answers here.....just go wherever your imagination and gut take you.

So let's start pretending:

A decision was made by the American people that with all the acrimony and divide and the fact that we're at each others' throats we were no longer able to function as one nation and decided to split into two. No, it wouldn't be North and South as it was during the Civil War era. This time the split would come based on "tribes".

So in most simplistic terms, those two "tribes" would be Liberals/Left and Conservatives/Right (based on however you conceptualize those two groups). The Liberals/Left would obviously be the new "Bluemerica" and just obviously the Conservatives/Right would be "Redmerica". (sorry...no fudging....there can't and won't be a Purplmerica)

As part of the separation plan, it was instituted that neither nation would have to be made of any contiguous regions (just like in today's US, the lower 48, Alaska, and Hawaii are not attached).

Your job, if you so choose to take it, would be to the hard work of actually dividing the nation in two. What areas would you put in Bluemerica and which in Redmerica. Obviously any state can be divided or kept as one if you so choose. And since you are making a formal proposal here to the Unconstituting the Nation Convention, feel free to give reasons for your choices.

Get as creative as you like. For example, since your new nations with require different states than what are presently constructed, what would be the new states in each nation....their area and what you name them.

And if you actually want to map it and post that here, more's the better.
God if only this could happen I would be ecstatic. Hopefully we are well on are way to this happening as I can't stomach living with this current setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 11:22 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
LOL! Check out Kansas. That worked out reaaal well.
There are Democrats in Kansas's state congress, and many Republicans are actually liberals....they lie to get elected in red states.

I'm talking about true conservatives getting to design their own government without having to compromise with Democrats and fake Republicans at all.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
You can look to the Bahamas as an example of such a government (0% Corporate taxes).
Bahamas is probably a bad example because it no doubts struggles to get employers to locate there due to it being an small island nation. I think the 0 percent tax indicates that.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There are no more segregation policies in the south anymore because the Civil Rights Act made them all illegal.

And the South was ALWAYS conservative. Democrat didn't always mean liberal in all walks of life, it used to just mean pro labor.

And my mother's family is from TN and NC, so I know the south when I say they were always conservative
The south wasn't conservative when it was voting for New Deal FDR type of Democrats. FDR wasn't a conservative.

What liberals like to do is say racism is conservatism, thus the south was racist even when it was owned by the Democratic party.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Here is New York Times map of SC's election results by county. Note Hillary won several rural counties, and urban counties that she won like Richland where Columbia is have a ton of poor people. I guarantee you Trump received very few votes in the poor areas of Richland and CHarleston counties.

https://www.nytimes.com/elections/re...south-carolina

Trump won the more affluent and populated counties of Greenville, Lexington (near Columbia), York (near Charlotte), Horry (Mrytle Beach), Aiken, Beaufort (Hilton Head).

Marion County is easily one of the most depressed counties in SC, HIllary received 60 percent of the votes and won by 22 points.

Stop using your little state to extrapolate to the whole country. I also like how you keep using 2016 and not one other election year. Counties in PA that voted for Trump in 2016 voted for Obama twice in 2008 and 2014. Hillary was disliked hugely, and a decent Dem candidate would have wiped Trump out in PA. Just wait till 2020. We certainly ain't SC.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
There are Democrats in Kansas's state congress, and many Republicans are actually liberals....they lie to get elected in red states.

I'm talking about true conservatives getting to design their own government without having to compromise with Democrats and fake Republicans at all.
Why not just find an island and set up an anarchist colony there?

Sounds like that's what you really want.

Pure, unadulterated free-market and freedom from all regulation. Go for it!

Old 11-22-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Why not just find an island and set up an anarchist colony there?

Sounds like that's what you really want.

Pure, unadulterated free-market and freedom from all regulation. Go for it!
A conservative government would not be anarchy. You don't seem to understand what the word anarchy means.

A government doesn't have to be your preferred big government version.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
You haven't provided any evidence that a significant majority of drug addicts voted for Trump in Tenn or any other state. It looks like speculation. How could you possibily know who drug addicts voted for or if they voted at all? You stated that they don't self identify, yet you know how they voted?

What percentage of the population in a rural county in TN do you estimate is a drug addict?

Here are the county election results for Tenn. https://www.nytimes.com/elections/results/tennessee

It looks like the best he did in a county was around 85, and he was more often in the 70s. So using the county where he got 85 percent, how do you know the majority of the drug addicts are in the 85 percent that he got?

We know that Trump didn't win every white rural vote, and he didn't win every non college educated white person's vote. So it seems like you have to look examine what issues drug addicts care about. Focusing on rural and white doesn't tell you anything.

It seems like a drug addict would be mostly concerned about drug supply and welfare. I don't see how either of those concerns makes a drug addict a natural Trump supporter, given Trump wants to build a wall and stop the drug flow into the country, and the Democratic party supports more government spending.

THe Democratic party in general depicts Republican pols as heartless fat cats who want to screw over the poor so it is hard to see a poor drug addict on welfare being a reliable Trump voter.

You also said something upthread about how Confederate flag wavers are natural Trump supporters. I don't see any evidence of that either. Trump never talked up the Confederate flag while running. He's from NYC. I don't recall the Confederate statues thing becoming an issue until after he won.

There is polling data that indicates Trump won majority of college educated white people but nobody points that out on this forum.
I have no clue what percentage of the population has illegal substance abuse problems. Judging from people I know personally, I'd ballpark 5%-10% of the population are so debilitated by it that they cannot reliably work, have major legal issues, etc. We're not talking about someone who got tagged while going home high or drunk and got a DUI, but major distribution charges, repeat offenders, constantly violating probation, etc.

I don't know how to get through to you. Sure, Trump didn't win every rural white vote in Tennessee, but he won vast majorities of all votes in most rural counties. The more rural the county (places like Hancock, Grainger are very rural...and have very bad drug problems), the whiter you get, the more drug problems you get, the higher the % of Trump support generally.

These things correlate. They're not entirely causal. It's not "my drug abuse caused me to vote for Donald Trump." Billy Bob on the hill in a trailer passed out on opoids isn't going to identify as an opoid user. But the Second Amendment may be very important to him. So may "family values." Many rural people in Tennessee identify with the values Trump said he believed in. Drug problems are more prevalent in rural areas here than urban and suburban ones. Naturally there's going to be some overlap.

I don't see how this is a big leap of faith.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Stop using your little state to extrapolate to the whole country. I also like how you keep using 2016 and not one other election year. Counties in PA that voted for Trump in 2016 voted for Obama twice in 2008 and 2014. Hillary was disliked hugely, and a decent Dem candidate would have wiped Trump out in PA. Just wait till 2020. We certainly ain't SC.
So you are saying in the poor inner city of Philly and Pittsburgh, Republicans do well with voters?

I recall in 2000, there were some wards in inner Philly that did not have a single Republican vote, and some people thought there must have been voter fraud.

I understand that there are countries that switched from Obama to Trump. I think I may have made that point previously. That is why it is confusing when you see people say Trump locked up racist vote, and drug addict vote, given he was able to get some former Obama voters.

Old 11-22-2017, 11:34 AM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
A conservative government would not be anarchy. You don't seem to understand what the word anarchy means.
You don't seem to understand anything. You just claimed that the far-right state of Kansas is actually controlled by "fake Republicans" and insinuated it's actually corrupted by liberals.

You want to live free from regulation. In it's purest form; that's anarchy.

There's no such thing as a "completely liberal" or "completely conservative" government. Just like there is really no such thing as "blueamerica" or "redamerica".

The examples and insinuations you post imply a very childish train of thought and lead me to believe you haven't spent much time as a grown up in the real world yet.

Sometimes its great to think conceptually and abstractly...sometimes it makes people look naive and out of touch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.