Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 06:59 AM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

A related article: https://www.brookings.edu/blog/the-a...sus-data-show/

It does have an interesting definition of Sun Belt though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 AM

525 posts, read 718,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Is Mississippi Alabama Louisiana really bad as media say ? I hear in Arkansas if you late on rent it is crime in that state.
It depends on you. The South is not for everyone. I personally like Little Rock Metro Area in Arkansas better than where I lived in both Louisiana and Mississippi.

I am not aware of that law.. Again, I don't have any problem paying my bills on time.

I'm sure that you will be penalized with late charges and if you don't pay it within certain number of days, you will be evicted just like anywhere.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:13 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Alaska? Wyoming? I want some of whatever this author's on.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Arkansas does have very friendly laws when it comes to landlord rights. Evictions are easier than in many other states.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,303,190 times
Look at NC grow. It's good to see SC cross the 5 Mill mark. I am interested in seeing how the Triangle and Charlotte added to that growth.

Old 01-02-2018, 09:40 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Meanwhile Idaho was #1 in growth percentage wise and it really doesn't have a big city. Boise is barely a top 100 metro. It will keep growing. Then you have Illinois with a huge city and it's in decline.
I agree. I think it's not necessarily the states with the "biggest" cities/metros that will succeed in the future, but the states with the fastest/healthiest growing cities/metros.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,893,604 times
I feel many are missing the fact that even though Idaho is growing fast, not that many people are actually moving there the state has less than 2 million residents, adding a few thousands makes a difference. When you look at a state such as Illinois adding a few thousand when your population is already over 12 million isn't going to make that big of a difference year over year. People were saying the same thing about North Dakota a couple of years ago, and now look at it. Never even made it to a million. lol

Old 01-02-2018, 11:04 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,088,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Yeah, not many people I know consider any of the Mountain states north of Colorado Sunbelt. Out of the six "Sunbelt states" that registered decline four are decidedly not part of the Sunbelt, Wyoming, West Virginia, Alaska, and Hawaii, while Louisiana and Mississippi have never really been part of the Sunbelt to begin with when it came to rapid population and economic growth. In contrast, of the ten (twelve but ten are named) "Sunbelt states" that saw increased growth, four are indisputably part of the region, Nevada, Tennessee, North Carolina, and Georgia, two are geographically part of the region, Arkansas and Alabama, and another two are debatable, Virginia and Kentucky.

Old 01-03-2018, 07:03 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I feel many are missing the fact that even though Idaho is growing fast, not that many people are actually moving there the state has less than 2 million residents, adding a few thousands makes a difference. When you look at a state such as Illinois adding a few thousand when your population is already over 12 million isn't going to make that big of a difference year over year. People were saying the same thing about North Dakota a couple of years ago, and now look at it. Never even made it to a million. lol
While I see the point you are trying to make, North Dakota and Idaho are a false equivalency, the reason and type of growth is totally different. People went to North Dakota for the oil for the most part, I even had friends who did that. Idaho isn't the "man camp and booked hotel" type of growth, people are moving in and putting down roots.

I've only ever lived in high growth areas, Boise and Dallas both have been staggering. Boise's suburb of Meridian went from under 10k in the 90s to about 100k today. Some Dallas suburbs have made similar leaps, but in the 4th largest metro, that is alot less impressive than a barely top 100 metro.

Boise itself has almost doubled since the early 90s.

Keep in mind that while some people move for work, the vast majority move to Idaho because they choose to. Californians and Oregonians looking for lower COL could move to Texas or even Nevada for higher wages and no income tax, but a significant number pick Idaho instead. This is without Idaho having any really "Large" cities, a large number of great schools, or an oil jobs boom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.