Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 05:57 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Ahh, right right! Good point. Well, in that case, Puerto Rico's numbers will drop even more drastically in the upcoming years, I bet.

The island of Puerto Rico cannot sustain 3 million plus people technically, anyhow. So as sad as it is with all the people being forced out, it will probably ultimately be better for the 2 million + people who remain in the upcoming decades.
Puerto Rico lost around 320,000 residents between 2010 to 2016. Since the hurricanes it has lost over 200,000 residents who have arrived in Florida.

Link: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...-maria-n825111

Puerto Rico's loss appears to be Florida's gain for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 05:59 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Connecticut grew for once? I don't believe this. It's only estimates but there's no way that it grew. We have been declining every year for the past 4 years. If it didn't end up growing, it must be because of Puerto Rican's moving up here.
IIRC, every state in the Northeast except for Delaware (and DC, though it's not a state) has a net outflow of residents. It's just international immigration that keeps some of them in the black.

The same is largely true for the Midwest as well.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
There are over 1.1 million people living in Central Illinois between the metros of Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington, Decatur, and Champaign. The farthest distance between two of the cities(Peoria to Champaign) is still less than 100 miles, and all 5 are connected via expressways 1-74, I-55, and I-72. I feel as though there would have something like Upstate NY if these metros were to merge, or at least have Bloomington-Normal metro merge with the larger Peoria to boost it to almost 600,000. Peoria should have been developed to a somewhat major city akin to Buffalo if not bigger, but the population had stagnated at 100k+ for nearly a century in its city limits and was eventually surpassed by Phoenix.
Not sure I get your point. During the past century Buffalo had a population of over 500,000 with another 100,000 in Niagara Falls just 15 miles up the river for several censuses in the mid 20th century. And that was just the city, while the counties which make up today's MSA were almost exclusively rural.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:13 AM

2,694 posts, read 3,188,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Chicago has always been the primate city of not just Illinois, but the entire Great Lakes region. "Downstate" has stayed rural farmland and small towns. New York State was lucky to have sizable cities in their Upstate region to balance out the City.
Illinois is odd in the sense that the second largest urban area in the state outside of Chicagoland are the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis (the Metro East). Like the rest of Illinois, however, they are struggling in addition to slowing metropolitan St. Louis' growth as a whole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyCarcetti View Post
That does make me feel better, thank you. BTW I completely agree about the level of dysfunction in Illinois.
Illinois needs to cut a severe number of its local governments. There's no reason why we should have more than any other state in the country.

As for our dysfunction though, expect next year to only highlight it more. We're about to have the most expensive gubernatorial election in United States history.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:24 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Puerto Rico lost around 320,000 residents between 2010 to 2016. Since the hurricanes it has lost over 200,000 residents who have arrived in Florida.

Link: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...-maria-n825111

Puerto Rico's loss appears to be Florida's gain for now.
I wonder how many more people Puerto Rico will lose in the next couple of years? This kind of population drain can't be good on either side--flooding in of people from PR to FL and PR losing so many at once...hmm, I hope they all can land on their feet.

Old 12-22-2017, 01:58 PM

984 posts, read 1,314,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not sure I get your point. During the past century Buffalo had a population of over 500,000 with another 100,000 in Niagara Falls just 15 miles up the river for several censuses in the mid 20th century. And that was just the city, while the counties which make up today's MSA were almost exclusively rural.
In 1950 greater Buffalo was bigger than greater Toronto. That was when "Boronto" ,as Montrealers called it, was a horrid conservative little backwater and Torontonians use to go to Buffalo for a good time.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:12 PM

821 posts, read 760,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
In 1950 greater Buffalo was bigger than greater Toronto. That was when "Boronto" ,as Montrealers called it, was a horrid conservative little backwater and Torontonians use to go to Buffalo for a good time.
Those were the days
Really hoping with New York's numbers revised up, there was a lesser loss upstate.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:59 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Growth is slowing drastically in Texas. I hope it is not the beginning of the end.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:31 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I wonder how many more people Puerto Rico will lose in the next couple of years? This kind of population drain can't be good on either side--flooding in of people from PR to FL and PR losing so many at once...hmm, I hope they all can land on their feet.
Not to mention the political implications for Florida as well.
Most Puerto Ricans vote Democrat.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:11 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Not only that but Buffalo was genuinely important between 1825-1955 as a port town connecting the Great Lakes to The East coast.

Peoria was never that significant. There is no good reason that peoria should have been as big as Buffalo historically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.