Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:38 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Good data in your post, but the gap widens if you look at state-level, not metro-level data. AZ was up 20% 2000-2006, Georgia just 14%. NC just 10%.

Part of it is a slightly bigger base, but the SW doesn't have declining or flat rural areas like the SE. Atlanta and Charlotte are growing rapidly, but Macon and Goldsboro aren't. Also, 80% of AZ lives in the Phoenix or Tucson metro area, and almost 90% of NV lives in the Vegas or Reno areas.

With its older industrial and rural towns too insignificant to pull down its growth rate, SW is likely to continue to increase pop. at a faster rate than the SE.
Numbers always make for convincing arguments, but let's look deeper into them. While I have no source (currently) to back me up I would imagine the vast majority of this growth in AZ and NV are either people fleeing the great beast of LA or they are immigrants. I'd say most of the growth in the SE is from all over the nation, not just an adjacent hell-hole (Ok, maybe Im being too extreme )

I think the South's small rural towns give it a depth and culture not seen in much of the Southwest. Those that see past the moronic hollywood stereotypes of the South will see that its not such a bad place. The Southeast is second only to the Northeast in terms of importance, and that includes D.C. being in the NE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.