Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 AM

6,724 posts, read 6,711,443 times

Advertisements

Domestic Net Migration to Metro Atlanta slowed in the 2000s from 58k annually to 31k, while it increased in Metro Phoenix from 42k to 48k annually.

State-wide much higher domestic net migration to NV and AZ than NC and GA. With AZ having 66k a year, NV 51k, GA 41K, NC 39K, even though GA and NC are bigger, so much faster rate of migration into AZ and NV. TX is bigger than all of them, but with just 36k domestic net migrants, most of its growth is coming from immigrants.

FL is the big winner with 190k net domestics, but because it's larger it's rate per 100 pop. is smaller than NV and AZ.

Clearly, trend is heavily in favor of SW, not the SE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So how many "gateways to the west" are there? I know of three others: Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Omaha. FWIW.
Good case can be made that Kansas City is, or at least was, truly the gateway, because it was the primary transfer point from river to land for many western settlers, and with the Oregon, Cali, Santa Fe, and Lewis & Clark running through town, only point with four major trails.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:40 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
OK, here's the justification for all of the above;

Pittsburgh: mouth of the Ohio River, the route to the midwest (joins the Mississippi River at Cairo, IL, from whence one can go to New Orleans).

St. Louis: Junction of Mississppi and Missouri Rivers, starting off point for many journeys west in pioneer times.

Omaha: Starting point of the Mormon trail. Also major location on the transcontinental railroad, last "city" on the way west for both.

There are probably many, many others.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:59 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Domestic Net Migration to Metro Atlanta slowed in the 2000s from 58k annually to 31k, while it increased in Metro Phoenix from 42k to 48k annually.

State-wide much higher domestic net migration to NV and AZ than NC and GA. With AZ having 66k a year, NV 51k, GA 41K, NC 39K, even though GA and NC are bigger, so much faster rate of migration into AZ and NV. TX is bigger than all of them, but with just 36k domestic net migrants, most of its growth is coming from immigrants.

FL is the big winner with 190k net domestics, but because it's larger it's rate per 100 pop. is smaller than NV and AZ.

Clearly, trend is heavily in favor of SW, not the SE.
I'd actually say that percentages matter just as much as the raw numbers, in terms of showing a whole story.

I took official census data to get these approximate numbers:

Growth from 2000 to 2006 in sample cities:
Phoenix Metro: 24%
Las Vegas Metro: 29%
Atlanta Metro: 21%
Raleigh Metro: 25%
Austin Metro: 21%

Growth from 2005 to 2006 in sample cities:
Phoenix Metro: 4.2%
Las Vegas Metro: 4.0%
Atlanta Metro: 3.1%
Raleigh Metro: 4.9%
Austin Metro: 3.9%

I wouldn't say that the south is far behind the southwest at all. They're actually very close in growth rates.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:22 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
No matter how big the SE gets, it will always suck.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:52 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
No matter how big the SE gets, it will always suck.
Glad you feel that way...stay where you are.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,389,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So how many "gateways to the west" are there? I know of three others: Pittsburgh, St. Louis and Omaha. FWIW.

Most of the southwest and mountain west are fairly conservative as well.
The gateway to the real west in my opinion is Denver. Everything to the East of that is the "midwest" but should be called just the mid. St. Louis is so far from anywhere I consider the west its a joke. Pittsburgh? That's the East. Omaha is garbage.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Pittsburgh may be the east (though they don't think so in NYC), but it calls itself the gateway to the West, not the west. Just west of Pittsburgh is Ohio, which was once part of the "Western Reserve". Omaha is not garbage. DH is from there, also Gayle Sayers (sp?), Warren Buffet, Henry Fonda, Marlon Brando, and many more.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
I wouldn't say that the south is far behind the southwest at all. They're actually very close in growth rates.
Good data in your post, but the gap widens if you look at state-level, not metro-level data. AZ was up 20% 2000-2006, Georgia just 14%. NC just 10%.

Part of it is a slightly bigger base, but the SW doesn't have declining or flat rural areas like the SE. Atlanta and Charlotte are growing rapidly, but Macon and Goldsboro aren't. Also, 80% of AZ lives in the Phoenix or Tucson metro area, and almost 90% of NV lives in the Vegas or Reno areas.

With its older industrial and rural towns too insignificant to pull down its growth rate, SW is likely to continue to increase pop. at a faster rate than the SE.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:32 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,514,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
The gateway to the real west in my opinion is Denver. Everything to the East of that is the "midwest" but should be called just the mid. St. Louis is so far from anywhere I consider the west its a joke. Pittsburgh? That's the East. Omaha is garbage.
I t is this kind of attitude that is the reason the Southeast will overtake the Southwest. You know uninformed and insecure! Who would want to be around someone with this kind of attitude about everywhere that is not California. Hate to break it to you, but California will always suck because of the people no matter how majestic the mtns are there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.