Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 11:02 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This is quite literally the most asinine post I’ve seen on this forum.

Some cities have demonstrably higher levels of upward mobility than others. This is not an accident. The poor people in those cities aren’t more talented or driven. They have better resources.

I grew up poor in NYC, and frankly, there’s no better place to do so. Thanks to rent control/stabilization, gentrification isn’t as stark in NY as it is in some other cities. Any kid can apply to any high school, so being poor doesn’t doom you to poor schools. Mass transit is extensive and affordable, so poor people have physical access to all the city’s resources. Then there’s CUNY. Lots of cities have city colleges, but none has as many high-quality four-year colleges with low tuition, and relatively low admissions standards. If your HS failed you, CUNY will remediate you until you’re prepared for a high-quality college education.

Conservative talk about wanting people to pull themselves up by their bootstraps, but typically don’t believe in creating a framework in which such as social mobility is possible.
That's another conversation. I noticed this when I was in Harlem. Better than what the middle class get in smaller cities. Person needs to have that mindset though. I'm not so sure that everyone does. But it is an interesting point you've made.

But you're right a lot of those socially conservative cities, like where I'm at now, aren't doing all that they can to help the poor. Like a Libertarian anti government mindset around here, but you need some government in order to keep it from going back to the 1930s. Leave it to these people around here there would be no philanthropy whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 05:35 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Good to know. That West side is something else in Dayton. You're on your own over there.
In terms of the Dayton area, I’m also wondering if the eastern end of Xenia into Wilberforce would be an area of interest in regards to the thread topic. I say that because it is a predominantly Black mixed income, generally working/middle class area that has 2 HBCU’s in that general area. http://wilberforce.edu

Central State University

http://www.usa.com/OH057240600.html

Old 02-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Who and what is it that you disagree with?
I just caught this, but yeah I was wondering the same thing. I was bringing out good attributes within the Black population in Columbus.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:35 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
That's another conversation. I noticed this when I was in Harlem. Better than what the middle class get in smaller cities. Person needs to have that mindset though. I'm not so sure that everyone does. But it is an interesting point you've made.

But you're right a lot of those socially conservative cities, like where I'm at now, aren't doing all that they can to help the poor. Like a Libertarian anti government mindset around here, but you need some government in order to keep it from going back to the 1930s. Leave it to these people around here there would be no philanthropy whatsoever.
In regards to his post sometimes I like to call Black folks in NYC a priveledged group of people because they actually do not realize how much resources they have. A lot fall into the trap that someone is out to get them until they see what true lack of opportunity is in other locations in the country.

Old 02-21-2018, 09:52 AM

Perhaps parts of the Harrisburg area could work, as its metro Black median household income is/was on par with that of areas such as Charlotte, Nashville, Durham, Miami, Philadelphia, Chicago, Columbus, Columbia SC and Las Vegas according to 2010-2014 information. Susquehanna Township comes to mind as an area that is about 26-27% Black and its Black MHHI was t the national figure during that period. Parts of the Central Dauphin SD also has areas with a substantial to above average Black percentage and are middle class.

Progress and Penbrook in those school districts offer some walkability just outside of Harrisburg.

What is also interesting is that the same source shows that the Black MHHI for the adjacent York area is higher than that of all of those areas named above, but has a smaller Black percentage(about 5-6% for the metro).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-21-2018 at 10:14 AM..

Old 02-21-2018, 10:27 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
In regards to his post sometimes I like to call Black folks in NYC a priveledged group of people because they actually do not realize how much resources they have. A lot fall into the trap that someone is out to get them until they see what true lack of opportunity is in other locations in the country.
If we were truly interested we would know.

Speaking about that, I realized a few things myself having moved to where I'm at that I took for granted. You can get so caught up in the rat race and just assume that everything is the way it is where you're at.

I wouldn't call it privileged though; a lot of city people make those same assumptions about a lot of things. Then they move to a different city; not necessarily a smaller area just a different one, and realize that things aren't as bad as they thought they had it.

Sometimes it is good for us to get outside of our little bubbles and see how the rest of the world lives.

With New Yorkers, one may have to adjust their communications with people to fit wherever it is they're at, at that time. A lot of Northerners take a lot of things for granted, then realize the way they talk to each other doesn't fly somewhere else. It is a typical Midwestern/Northeastern/Northwestern problem. What is perfectly fine in one place is rude somewhere else.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:14 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Chicago is a terrible place for blacks. Since they tend to be middle or lower class, they are limited to the lower income areas of the city. These areas are often bad places to live.

People with lower incomes are better off in cities with a lower cost of living.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Chicago is a terrible place for blacks. Since they tend to be middle or lower class, they are limited to the lower income areas of the city. These areas are often bad places to live.

People with lower incomes are better off in cities with a lower cost of living.
There are areas like the outer SW portion of the city(Beverly, Morgan Park, Ashburn, etc.) and South Side neighborhoods like Kenwood and Hyde Park that have high to predominant Black percentages and are generally middle class.

That’s not counting areas outside of the city as well. So, it would depend on the location in the city/area.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:39 AM

48 posts, read 34,704 times
African Americans do very poorly up North (Midwest, Northeast). There's a reason why they're flocking to the South and Western states in droves. Unemployment and gang violence is very high among African Americans in the Midwest and Northeast, so many of them are moving back down South where they can get work, or heading out west to places like Nevada, Washington, Colorado, and Arizona to raise their families in a better environment. It also doesn't help that racism and segregation persists in the Midwest and Northeast, this is why "black communities" and "white communities" exist in these places. But out West, there is no racial tensions, racial segregation is non existent, racism is EXTREMELY less than in the eastern half of the US.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip91 View Post
African Americans do very poorly up North (Midwest, Northeast). There's a reason why they're flocking to the South and Western states in droves. Unemployment and gang violence is very high among African Americans in the Midwest and Northeast, so many of them are moving back down South where they can get work, or heading out west to places like Nevada, Washington, Colorado, and Arizona to raise their families in a better environment. It also doesn't help that racism and segregation persists in the Midwest and Northeast, this is why "black communities" and "white communities" exist in these places. But out West, there is no racial tensions, racial segregation is non existent, racism is EXTREMELY less than in the eastern half of the US.
Not completely true and those issues are in all regions/areas.

Like I mentioned in another thread, many are just relocating within the same region as well. Many folks realize that you don’t necessarily have to leave the region or even state to find a lower COL. Some many also bring skills needed for positions available in other parts of the state or region as well.

There’s also the aspect of some people wanting walkability, which tends to be more common in those 2 Northern regions as well. This comes into play I think with people just moving to say a smaller city in the same region and in turn, while not perfect, they may be pleasantly surprised to find some community based infrastructure in place in their new city/area.

You may have what the OP is stating with some moving to another region, but the new place may not be as good of a fit as they hoped.

So, all of this is more complex than it generally gets presented via the media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.