Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 07:05 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,423,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip91 View Post
African Americans do very poorly up North (Midwest, Northeast). There's a reason why they're flocking to the South and Western states in droves. Unemployment and gang violence is very high among African Americans in the Midwest and Northeast, so many of them are moving back down South where they can get work, or heading out west to places like Nevada, Washington, Colorado, and Arizona to raise their families in a better environment. It also doesn't help that racism and segregation persists in the Midwest and Northeast, this is why "black communities" and "white communities" exist in these places. But out West, there is no racial tensions, racial segregation is non existent, racism is EXTREMELY less than in the eastern half of the US.
this is one of the most false statements I've ever read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 07:56 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip91 View Post
African Americans do very poorly up North (Midwest, Northeast). There's a reason why they're flocking to the South and Western states in droves. Unemployment and gang violence is very high among African Americans in the Midwest and Northeast, so many of them are moving back down South where they can get work, or heading out west to places like Nevada, Washington, Colorado, and Arizona to raise their families in a better environment. It also doesn't help that racism and segregation persists in the Midwest and Northeast, this is why "black communities" and "white communities" exist in these places. But out West, there is no racial tensions, racial segregation is non existent, racism is EXTREMELY less than in the eastern half of the US.
That’s not true at all. The Northeast is filled with Black folks from the Caribbean and Africa who excel. African anericans with southern roots are also privileged with more opportunities to work with as well.

If anything the cost of living is what’s messing with black folks in the Northeast. Not opportunities and since we are talking about opportunities, world class cities tend to have more jobs and higher paying salaries than southern cities. The employment rate in the south is not that great and working at Walmart technically counts as being “employed”.

The Northeast and Midwest are not similar at all when it comes to African americans since the Midwest doesn’t have as much opportunities and also has seen many jobs leave the region created a lot of poverty in the African american communities (Flint, Detroit etc)

And your last comment about the west coast is a flat out lie. It’s a well known fact that Black communities in Southern California have had tensions with Mexican communities which involved many murders.

Meanwhile in the Northeast the Hispanic and black communities are all pretty much unified. The west coast also has its fare share of conservative whites as well. Didn’t the white nationalist people hold several rallies and protest in Cali? Never seen that in Northeast.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
this is one of the most false statements I've ever read.
It is very false and I’m also wondering why people keep havig this notion that Blacks do poorly in the Northeast. That Right there is a flat out lie as well. As usual these folks never have the numbers to prove it!

Old 03-01-2018, 06:23 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
It is very false and I’m also wondering why people keep havig this notion that Blacks do poorly in the Northeast. That Right there is a flat out lie as well. As usual these folks never have the numbers to prove it!
I think a lot of it has to do with the criteria used to create such lists.

However, in many of the states in the video, you can find some middle class predominantly Black areas. Such places have been mentioned on C-D forums many times, with data to back it up. So, it is never as cut and dry in terms of opportunity or the best places.

In fact, the Blackest places in NY State(Lakeview CDP on Long Island) and CT(Bloomfield just outside of Hartford) are actually middle class. Lakeview’s overall and Black median household income is 6 figures, if I’m not mistaken. Not too many other states can say that.

Old 03-02-2018, 06:45 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
That’s not true at all. The Northeast is filled with Black folks from the Caribbean and Africa who excel. African anericans with southern roots are also privileged with more opportunities to work with as well.

If anything the cost of living is what’s messing with black folks in the Northeast. Not opportunities and since we are talking about opportunities, world class cities tend to have more jobs and higher paying salaries than southern cities. The employment rate in the south is not that great and working at Walmart technically counts as being “employed”.

The Northeast and Midwest are not similar at all when it comes to African americans since the Midwest doesn’t have as much opportunities and also has seen many jobs leave the region created a lot of poverty in the African american communities (Flint, Detroit etc)

And your last comment about the west coast is a flat out lie. It’s a well known fact that Black communities in Southern California have had tensions with Mexican communities which involved many murders.

Meanwhile in the Northeast the Hispanic and black communities are all pretty much unified. The west coast also has its fare share of conservative whites as well. Didn’t the white nationalist people hold several rallies and protest in Cali? Never seen that in Northeast.
So a city can't be both "world class" (which is a very overused term to begin with) and Southern?

Old 03-02-2018, 10:38 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,492,111 times
OP, I admit to not reading all posts, as I noticed early on, and suspected there was to be some slamming going on, to races, to cities, to migration reasons, etc.

Talks a look at Binghamton N.Y. area. Population of blacks in 2010 census was 12% for AA. Thst number has,surely risen as,many AA s are moving here to get out 9f the city ( yes NYC).

The 2016 median rent estimates are $686/ month. Average HH salary estimate is around $30-38k/ yr.
Average house costs to buy was around $80-90k.

There is low discrimination against anyone for race, color, sexual orientation or religion. ALL are accepted.

Crime is low, much of it perpetrated by NYC guys of any color coming up to binghamton to cause,trouble.

Binghamton has Binghamton university, and a 2 year college growing to be a regular live on campus and heading towards 4 year growth.

There are 3 hospitals and ancillary heath care facilities. Doctors of all specialties. If you can't find it in Binghamton, Syracuse is only 75 miles north, and the city is 3 hours away to Manhattan.

Public transport system is,very good, covers most of the area, known as the Greater Binghamton Area, or once known as the Triple Cities area.

There is Binghamton, Jonhson City, Enwell and Endicott, Vestal, Kirkwood and Conklin. We are at the heart of 3 interstate road systems. Tgere is a very high speed transit system being considered by 2025 that will get you for Binghamton to NYC in 56 minutes. If it comes to fruition, it will be great.

Taxes are Not as,high as NYC by any means. Property taxes are higher than most areas across the country, as,noted. But I think they are reasonable. Of course if you buy a 5-8k sqft mansion on Riverside drive, your property taxes will be about $15-20 k a year, but I doubt you'll be buying thise mansions.

CITY DATA does have a blurb on Binghamton, look it up.

Good luck where ever you settle.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:56 AM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with the criteria used to create such lists.

However, in many of the states in the video, you can find some middle class predominantly Black areas. Such places have been mentioned on C-D forums many times, with data to back it up. So, it is never as cut and dry in terms of opportunity or the best places.

In fact, the Blackest places in NY State(Lakeview CDP on Long Island) and CT(Bloomfield just outside of Hartford) are actually middle class. Lakeview’s overall and Black median household income is 6 figures, if I’m not mistaken. Not too many other states can say that.
Besides Lakeview, Wheatley Heights is another predominantly Black community on Long Island with a 6 figure median household income. I believe that Maryland is the only other state with said communities.

Old 03-03-2018, 10:35 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,637,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
OP, I admit to not reading all posts, as I noticed early on, and suspected there was to be some slamming going on, to races, to cities, to migration reasons, etc.

Talks a look at Binghamton N.Y. area. Population of blacks in 2010 census was 12% for AA. Thst number has,surely risen as,many AA s are moving here to get out 9f the city ( yes NYC).

The 2016 median rent estimates are $686/ month. Average HH salary estimate is around $30-38k/ yr.
Average house costs to buy was around $80-90k.

There is low discrimination against anyone for race, color, sexual orientation or religion. ALL are accepted.

Crime is low, much of it perpetrated by NYC guys of any color coming up to binghamton to cause,trouble.

Binghamton has Binghamton university, and a 2 year college growing to be a regular live on campus and heading towards 4 year growth.

There are 3 hospitals and ancillary heath care facilities. Doctors of all specialties. If you can't find it in Binghamton, Syracuse is only 75 miles north, and the city is 3 hours away to Manhattan.

Public transport system is,very good, covers most of the area, known as the Greater Binghamton Area, or once known as the Triple Cities area.

There is Binghamton, Jonhson City, Enwell and Endicott, Vestal, Kirkwood and Conklin. We are at the heart of 3 interstate road systems. Tgere is a very high speed transit system being considered by 2025 that will get you for Binghamton to NYC in 56 minutes. If it comes to fruition, it will be great.

Taxes are Not as,high as NYC by any means. Property taxes are higher than most areas across the country, as,noted. But I think they are reasonable. Of course if you buy a 5-8k sqft mansion on Riverside drive, your property taxes will be about $15-20 k a year, but I doubt you'll be buying thise mansions.

CITY DATA does have a blurb on Binghamton, look it up.

Good luck where ever you settle.
There is absolutely racial discrimination in Binghamton. Its not the worst I've seen, or even the worst in New York, but I don't know where you're getting this no discrimination thing from. And I love Binghamton...

Old 03-03-2018, 02:22 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s not rocket science. Our most liberal cities tend to be small, geographically speaking, and desirable. This drives up housing costs. Black peoples are disproportionately poor. I’m sure you were trying to make some sly point about liberals being “the real racists”, though.
A lot of blacks are socially conservative and religious. This could also play a factor.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So a city can't be both "world class" (which is a very overused term to begin with) and Southern?
yes It can. It’s just the majority of world class global elite cities in America aren’t located down there. But there are many cities down there looking to head towards that direction!

The term might be overused but at a term that makes sense. And it seems that the southern posters seem to have the biggest issue with the term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.