Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HQ2 location?
Atlanta, GA 109 18.47%
Austin, TX 44 7.46%
Boston, MA 52 8.81%
Chicago, IL 85 14.41%
Columbus, OH 27 4.58%
Dallas, TX 71 12.03%
Denver, CO 29 4.92%
Indianapolis, IN 33 5.59%
Los Angeles, CA 12 2.03%
Miami, FL 16 2.71%
Montgomery County, MD 27 4.58%
Nashville, TN 26 4.41%
Newark, NJ 22 3.73%
New York, NY 23 3.90%
Northern Virginia 65 11.02%
Philadelphia, PA 51 8.64%
Pittsburgh, PA 47 7.97%
Raleigh, N.C. 43 7.29%
Toronto, ON 31 5.25%
Washington, D.C. 72 12.20%
Other (Specify) 13 2.20%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 590. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:33 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
But we went off the RFP, which contained none of that. Sooo many articles ranked NY dead last, it wasn’t just on here.
The RFP was absolutely clear from the start that site readiness and talent were the absolute "paramount" considerations. After the short list was unveiled, they were resolutely clear that Detroit (and pretty much every non-shortlist city) was ruled out due to talent, reiterating that the absolute #1 top priority above all else was access to talent.

They chose two move-in-ready sites (empty, existing buildings!), in the #2 and #3 regions for tech talent, which have almost *2X* the talent base of Chicago or Atlanta. (The #1 region is the Bay Area, which doesn't have any sites of that magnitude. Short-short listed Dallas is #5.) I'm not sure why everyone's crying about rigging, moved goalposts, incentive race to the bottom, etc.

As I said before on this thread, cost of living doesn't equal cost of doing business, and besides it was a very low priority in the RFP -- relegated to "also provide information on."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 01:37 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,859,567 times
It's not clear how much they valued existing talent vs. the ability to recruit talent from elsewhere. I think it's more the latter.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
It's not clear how much they valued existing talent vs. the ability to recruit talent from elsewhere. I think it's more the latter.
It was both. There needed to be enough talent already existing to poach from and also the city itself needed to be able to attract top talent on it's own. It was noted that one of Chicago's opportunities was the fact that while the city was a magnet for the big 10 schools it didn't have enough of a draw from the ivy leagues which I assume is the same story for a lot of the cities that made it to the finals minus LA/SF. Folks on CD always overvalue COL when it clearly isn't a defining factor for a lot of the big companies and especially Tech companies at that. They tend to go for the "cool" or up and coming "cool" cities that usually come with a higher price tag. Its also worth nothing that both of the locations selected are within 15 minutes to an airport that have direct flights to the cities they noted on the RFP.

Last edited by Ebck120; 11-19-2018 at 03:14 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
It was both. There needed to be enough talent already existing to poach from and also the city itself needed to be able to attract top talent on it's own.
And generate its own talent. A major selling point for both Queens and Arlington were pledges to expand both undergrad & graduate CS education at nearby campuses... and the fact that both metros graduate several thousand CS grads every year.

They're running out of people to hire who will move to Seattle. Setting up in the east, in big cities that are proven national draws, is a way to draw people who either live in these giant markets, or might relocate but not across the country.
https://twitter.com/paytonchung/stat...96116052037632

If this was totally about bringing in relocatees, then why not set up a brand new city at the edges of cheapo Indianapolis? Or Toronto, with its much more open-door immigration laws (and much lower wages)? As for why the smaller cities were included: my bet was to broaden the number of state incentive offers, or to scout for the "Center for Excellence" that ended up in Nashville.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:23 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
It was both. There needed to be enough talent already existing to poach from and also the city itself needed to be able to attract top talent on it's own. It was noted that one of Chicago's opportunities was the fact that while the city was a magnet for the big 10 schools it didn't have enough of a draw from the ivy leagues which I assume is the same story for a lot of the cities that made it to the finals minus LA/SF. Folks on CD always overvalue COL when it clearly isn't a defining factor for a lot of the big companies and especially Tech companies at that. They tend to go for the "cool" or up and coming "cool" cities that usually come with a higher price tag. Its also worth nothing that both of the locations selected are within 15 minutes to an airport that have direct flights to the cities they noted on the RFP.
Chicago has Northwestern University and the University of Chicago...not far off from Ivy League. Also, the U of IL is one of the very top schools in the US for computer science. I don't think your theory holds up.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Chicago has Northwestern University and the University of Chicago...not far off from Ivy League. Also, the U of IL is one of the very top schools in the US for computer science. I don't think your theory holds up.
Those schools are fantastic of course but I read this in a few articles.. I didnt just make it up. I'll post something when I come across it again.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:48 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Those schools are fantastic of course but I read this in a few articles.. I didnt just make it up. I'll post something when I come across it again.
I believe you, but these schools are the top, next to Ivy League...sometimes ranked higher, depending on the major.

Old 11-19-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I believe you, but these schools are the top, next to Ivy League...sometimes ranked higher, depending on the major.
Agreed. I love Chicago as a city and lived there previously. The city offers alot that few cities can match. No doubt those universities are well respected but if I recall Chicago attracts relatively few from ivy's across the country and its speculated this played a part in their decision as NYC and DC are the top two destinations for these graduates even today without HQ2 having moved in.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
My undergrad is from the University of Chicago, and I stayed in Chicago for a decade afterwards. My experience there, and then moving east, and the WSJ article that I posted bears this out based on LinkedIn research, is that it's much more likely that UChi grads head east/west than vice versa.

A lot of my classmates were there because they didn't get into Columbia or Penn (e.g., the big-city Ivies that aren't quite as competitive as Hahvahd), so I'll use them as comparisons.
61.6% of UChicago grads live outside metro Chicago. 10.2% live in NYC.
63.6% of Northwestern grads live outside metro Chicago. 7.9% live in NYC.
47.7% of Columbia grads live outside metro New York. <4% live in Chicago.
48.2% of Penn grads live outside NYC/Philly/DC.

Last edited by paytonc; 11-19-2018 at 10:41 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 11:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Yes, particularly for NOVA. I mean, what college/university are we talking about there? Even in DC, Georgetown isn't particularly "techie", nor is American U or any of the other schools there that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.