Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,398,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Tysons doesn't have the caliber of luxury Hotels that Buckhead does, and Lenox & Phipps combined is equal to Tysons and the Galleria. Buckheads estate neighborhoods totally blow anything in NoVa out of the water, especially the bland suburban homes surrounding Tysons.

You're being the big homer here, not me. Buckhead is our premiere district, but of course you have to find a way to dismiss it as 'nothing special.'

It sounds as if you are only familiar withe the areas around the malls. If so, then your opinion means nothing as you are not even qualified to have one.
um
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 07:45 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,694,974 times
Quote:
Tysons doesn't have the caliber of luxury Hotels that Buckhead does, and Lenox & Phipps combined is equal to Tysons and the Galleria. Buckheads estate neighborhoods totally blow anything in NoVa out of the water, especially the bland suburban homes surrounding Tysons.

You're being the big homer here, not me. Buckhead is our premiere district, but of course you have to find a way to dismiss it as 'nothing special.'

It sounds as if you are only familiar withe the areas around the malls. If so, then your opinion means nothing as you are not even qualified to have one.
So you said that Tysons Corner can't meet Buckhead on any metric and I just proved you wrong and your comeback is just some opinion nonsense..

Tysons Corner alone is the 12th largest business district in the country clearly you know nothing about Tysons Corner. Should we take a closer look? Crime rate Buckhead 6.94 Tysons 2.39. How about average salary? Buckhead 43K Tysons 72K....... shall we go further?

This is just another attempt by you to make everything Atlanta amazing and relevant... go sit down. Your "premier" district compares to our edge city. I wasn't even giving Tysons any praise, I was saying it's a sprawly mess of skyscrapers next to strip malls next to large homes which is comparable to Buckhead.

Last edited by Ebck120; 01-29-2018 at 07:58 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 09:15 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I was saying it's a sprawly mess of skyscrapers next to strip malls next to large homes which is comparable to Buckhead.
Oh, well, why would anyone take umbrage to that? What a mystery, Mr. Diplomacy.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Oh, well, why would anyone take umbrage to that? What a mystery, Mr. Diplomacy.
Is it an inaccurate description? Plus I said Tysons Corner is similar and its around here so.....

Old 01-29-2018, 09:26 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
So you said that Tysons Corner can't meet Buckhead on any metric and I just proved you wrong and your comeback is just some opinion nonsense..

Tysons Corner alone is the 12th largest business district in the country clearly you know nothing about Tysons Corner. Should we take a closer look? Crime rate Buckhead 6.94 Tysons 2.39. How about average salary? Buckhead 43K Tysons 72K....... shall we go further?

This is just another attempt by you to make everything Atlanta amazing and relevant... go sit down. Your "premier" district compares to our edge city. I wasn't even giving Tysons any praise, I was saying it's a sprawly mess of skyscrapers next to strip malls next to large homes which is comparable to Buckhead.

Hahaha! Please provide proof of this ridiculous claim that Tysons is the 12th largest business district in the country. That's delusional, and I know Tysons very well. And you clearly know nothing about Buckhead at all. Get back to me when Tysons can support hotels like the Mandarin Oriental and the St. Regis.

This is just another attempt by you in your continuous agenda to trash anything and everything about Atlanta.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Hahaha! Please provide proof of this ridiculous claim that Tysons is the 12th largest business district in the country. That's delusional, and I know Tysons very well. And you clearly know nothing about Buckhead at all. Get back to me when Tysons can support hotels like the Mandarin Oriental and the St. Regis.

This is just another attempt by you in your continuous agenda to trash anything and everything about Atlanta.
There's a few articles below mentioning it. So let's go back to where you said Tysons can't meet any metric against Buckhead? Are you ignoring that now that you've been proven wrong, that you're only claim now for Buckhead being better is two luxury hotels? sorry but we tend to keep our best hotels "in" the city and Hilton is headquartered in Tysons. Oh and by the way, I see that there is no mention from you regarding anything else I posted such as crime rate and salaries......... willfull ignorance?

http://www.jll.com/washington-dc/en-us/tysons
Our Community
https://www.washingtonian.com/2015/0...to-a-big-city/

Have you looked up average household income? Or education attainment? Below is a comparison between the two. Eat it.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Like I said before, both are sprawly messes with skyscrapers next to strip malls next to large homes. Also they are both quasi urban suburbs with both having a rail line that goes through, prominent shopping centers, and are important business centers for their respective cities.

How you think Buckhead is light years better then Tysons is beyond me.... it's pure homerism, at least I said they were comparable.

Last edited by Yac; 02-14-2018 at 06:02 AM..

Old 01-29-2018, 10:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:

There is a Ritz Carlton in Tysons, has been for some years now. Also most of your points about Tysons vs Buckhead have been subjective, while your opponent's have been fact base. Tysons is an "edge suburb" surrounding DC. Buckhead is an upper class neighborhood in the city of Atlanta. Yet Tysons while younger has probably equal office space to Downtown Atlanta and has 4 Metro stations, more headquarters than Buckhead, and yes a higher grossing mall than Lenox and Phipps. If your not aware Tysons alone is about the same size as Uptown (Downtown) Charlotte, and growing.

Not sure where your getting this sense of one place having clout from hotels, but this following development if approved will feature a 615 ft tower and major luxury hotel in Tysons also:

https://www.bisnow.com/washington-dc...n-tysons-77336

Not to mention the Capital One headquarters redevelopment under construction with another planned major hotel there also.

I personally would actually live in Buckhead over Tysons however if I had to choose between the two.

Last edited by the resident09; 01-29-2018 at 10:45 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 01:06 AM

998 posts, read 1,249,178 times
Quote:

wow....

Old 01-30-2018, 01:56 AM

306 posts, read 479,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
I mean, it's all opinion based. But there are a lot of suburbs, and certainly the ones I'll cast a vote for, that don't have cookie cutter neighborhoods. And if they do, they're a one-off exception. BUT there are advantages to neighborhoods like those, so I'll concede on preference.

But in your opinion, is Naperville nicer than Wilmette? Winnetka? La Grange? Northfield? Park Ridge? Barrington? For me, I prefer a good number of Illinois suburbs before I'd even think of Naperville, let alone suburbs around the US.
First of all Hinsdale is just vomit to me. No character, new money tear downs left and right.

Naperville cannot be included in the quaint extremely wealthy suburbs of the North Shore. Reason being there are over 150,000 and a lot of land in Naperville compared to those burbs. North Shore is old money and of course real estate prices are more pricy

Hinsdale, Clarendon Hills, Western Springs are kind of "we cannot afford the North shore, but want the tear down."

Naperville experiences this as well to a smaller level.

That all said, there is no downtown in Chicagoland that rivals downtown Naperville in 2018. From restaurants, to entertainment, to riverwalk, festivals, etc. there is nothing like it.

Old 01-30-2018, 02:18 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
New York City Metro(Long Island, Westchester County, Fairfield County and Southern portion New Haven County CT, Lower Hudson Valley, Central NJ and Northeast NJ)

Boston Metro area (North Shore, Metrowest, Areas South of Boston, Southern New Hampshire, areas near Providence RI)

Washington DC (Northern Virginia and North of D.C area within 25 mins from D.C)

San Francisco East Bay and The Peinsula

Philly not really sure but Main Line and Jersey shore areas

Los Angeles (Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes Estates, San Marino, Irvine, South Pasadena, Newport Beach etc

Miami (Bal Harbour, Coral Gables, Miami Lakes, Weston, Parkland, Key Biscayne, Doral, Palmetto Bay, Surfside etc.

Chicago (Naperville, Buffalo Grove, Clarendon Hills, Hinsdale, Winnetka, Vernon Hills)

Minneapolis (Deep Haven, Chanhassen, Victoria, Eden Prairie, Shorewood)

Seattle (Sammamish, Redmond, Clyde Hill, Redmond, Bellevue etc

Portland (Bethany, Lake Oswego, West Linn, Oak Hills etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.