Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 01:51 PM

805 posts, read 2,000,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Well, the Mojave Desert contains such things as the Joshua Tree National Park and Joshua Trees don't grow in Arizona.

Also, rain does fall in the California deserts but it happens in the winter, which means that around this time of year after the rains have subsided, you get fabulous spring flowers. In AZ at this time of year everything is wilted. In summer you'll get a few cactus blooming in the monsoon season and some perennial grass that'll green up for a few weeks. Then it's back to brown. Nothing like the CA wildflowers in the spring after the rainy season.

There's nothing equivalent to this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/42573158947349629/
https://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm
Theres most definitely joshua trees in AZ, NV, and UT.

And just because we have the summer monsoons I wouldn't be so quick to neglect that our ACTUAL rainy season is mid winter as well...We have spring wild flowers popping up as we speak. not simply "wilting"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2018, 05:09 PM

36 posts, read 30,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Maybe, in your dreams. People are people, and just because they live in a western state, doesn't mean they go along with the "anything goes" mentality. Utah, for example, where does that fit into your comments. Just because I might live in a state that is blue or red, doesn't mean I am. Your logic is flawed.

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. In general, the west is open minded, accepting, and has a anything goes mentality. Of course there are exceptions, but we're talking about as a whole. It's less socially conservative, more libertarian and very liberal. There's a reason why many young people end up "heading west". Utah is a Mormon state, but Mormons are pretty liberal considering their positions on immigration. They even have politicians like Misty Snow representing their state.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Liberal?! In what fantasy world or alternate universe is this?

Yes, the West is liberal. As evidenced by the lack of social conservatism in the region compared to the South or Midwest.

If you take the most conservative western states of Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming, you'll see that Mormon type conservatism and libertarian type conservatism is what's prevalent, they would be considered liberals by Southern and Midwestern conservatives. That's how different it is. The West is a mix of very far left people, Mormons, and libertarians.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Kind of. Like I think LV and Phoenix are basically a part of California.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
Yes, the West is liberal. As evidenced by the lack of social conservatism in the region compared to the South or Midwest.

If you take the most conservative western states of Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming, you'll see that Mormon type conservatism and libertarian type conservatism is what's prevalent, they would be considered liberals by Southern and Midwestern conservatives. That's how different it is. The West is a mix of very far left people, Mormons, and libertarians.
Have you lived out West? You are so off base. The conservatism in the West is often of the extremist 1800s variety that is in your face with a few VERY small pockets of liberal people. Mormon conservatism is the closest thing to a theocracy you will get in the USA. Live and let live is hardly the case with a lot of people.

Old 04-22-2018, 02:35 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Have you lived out West? You are so off base. The conservatism in the West is often of the extremist 1800s variety that is in your face with a few VERY small pockets of liberal people. Mormon conservatism is the closest thing to a theocracy you will get in the USA. Live and let live is hardly the case with a lot of people.
You are off base. Way off.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:46 PM

461 posts, read 545,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
..Colorado is incredibly friendly! People passing you on the sidewalk say "hello" and are neighborly, like the Bay Area used to be, and still is in pockets. IDK about Denver, but in the small towns, and even the resort towns, people are friendly, in my experience. It's a breath of fresh air!
Umm, no. More than 82% of Colorado's population lives along the front range and I'd characterize them as self absorbed upper middle class white people without fear of being overly harsh. You hit one or two isolated pockets.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:36 PM

Quote:

Then explain why racist incidents occur less out West? explain why the West has the highest rates of interracial dating and marriage in the country? explain why the West has a HUGE population that is mixed race. Yeah, sounds like such an extremist, intolerant place, not live and let live at all.

Get real.

The conservatism out West is lite. There's a reason why there's a divide among the GOP, you essentially have the McCain, Flake, Romney, anti Trump "true conservatives" wing out West, and the Steve King, alt right "nationalist" pro Trump wing in the Midwest and South. The vast majority of the anti Trump Republicans all come from Western states. That is pretty telling.

Last edited by jupiter9; 04-25-2018 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: Add more

Old 04-25-2018, 10:10 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter9 View Post
Then explain why racist incidents occur less out West? explain why the West has the highest rates of interracial dating and marriage in the country? explain why the West has a HUGE population that is mixed race. Yeah, sounds like such an extremist, intolerant place, not live and let live at all.

Get real.

The conservatism out West is lite. There's a reason why there's a divide among the GOP, you essentially have the McCain, Flake, Romney, anti Trump "true conservatives" wing out West, and the Steve King, alt right "nationalist" pro Trump wing in the Midwest and South. The vast majority of the anti Trump Republicans all come from Western states. That is pretty telling.
In my personal experience I've run into a lot more bat**** insane in your face conservatives out west than in the Midwest I can tell you that much. And I certainly didn't go looking for them.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:24 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Quote:
In my personal experience I've run into a lot more bat**** insane in your face conservatives out west than in the Midwest I can tell you that much. And I certainly didn't go looking for them.
Your so called personal experience involves meeting a few dozen people in Montana or Wyoming? The West is a huge area of the USA, it is silly to label nearly half of the country based on your assumptions.

Last edited by Syringaloid; 04-26-2018 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.