Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 03:03 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,330,095 times

Advertisements

Possibly planning a little getaway and an idea was to go visit the Great Lakes and maybe do some kayaking, paddle boarding, etc...but I’ve never been to the lakes around this time.

Not sure which lake/area as far as Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, etc...but would like some recommendations for a nice cute town, with some good local restaurants, shops, etc...and obviously good water access. I hear the dunes in Indiana are neat, any input for that? Also, we will have a rental vehicle, so transportation isn’t an issue. Would prefer to either stay in a nice hotel, or VRBO type rental.

Also, how is the weather typically around Mid-September? Any and all suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,423,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Possibly planning a little getaway and an idea was to go visit the Great Lakes and maybe do some kayaking, paddle boarding, etc...but I’ve never been to the lakes around this time.

Not sure which lake/area as far as Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana, etc...but would like some recommendations for a nice cute town, with some good local restaurants, shops, etc...and obviously good water access. I hear the dunes in Indiana are neat, any input for that? Also, we will have a rental vehicle, so transportation isn’t an issue. Would prefer to either stay in a nice hotel, or VRBO type rental.

Also, how is the weather typically around Mid-September? Any and all suggestions appreciated!
I would suggest Lake Michigan on the Michigan side. There are a lot of charming towns on the coast. St. Joseph's, New Buffalo, Holland will be nice and you can do those water activities too. Sleeping Bear is awesome as well, but a little further north.

I would skip the Indiana Dunes, while they are cool, it's kind eh because of the views. The park is surrounded by industrial buildings, so a lot of smokestacks and what not, that kind of kill the experience IMO.

Are you flying into a specific city? Where are you coming from?

Mid-September weather is good, but can be either hot, cool, or just prefect. But either way September is a solid month.

If I were you I would do Holland, New Buffalo, St. Joseph's, and if you have time make it up to Sleeping Bear and Traverse City.

Old 03-19-2018, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
I would suggest Lake Michigan on the Michigan side. There are a lot of charming towns on the coast. St. Joseph's, New Buffalo, Holland will be nice and you can do those water activities too. Sleeping Bear is awesome as well, but a little further north.

I would skip the Indiana Dunes, while they are cool, it's kind eh because of the views. The park is surrounded by industrial buildings, so a lot of smokestacks and what not, that kind of kill the experience IMO.

Are you flying into a specific city? Where are you coming from?

Mid-September weather is good, but can be either hot, cool, or just prefect. But either way September is a solid month.

If I were you I would do Holland, New Buffalo, St. Joseph's, and if you have time make it up to Sleeping Bear and Traverse City.
We will by flying out of St Louis into whatever city with the closest major airport, and then driving from there.

Thanks for the info

Old 03-19-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
We will by flying out of St Louis into whatever city with the closest major airport, and then driving from there.

Thanks for the info
Fly into Chicago I would say and then do the west coast of Michigan. Or Grand Rapids if there is a flight from St. Louis (which I highly doubt).

Old 03-19-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
Fly into Chicago I would say and then do the west coast of Michigan. Or Grand Rapids if there is a flight from St. Louis (which I highly doubt).
There are actually many flights from STL to Grand Rapids. Delta, United and American all have flights.

Old 03-19-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
There are actually many flights from STL to Grand Rapids. Delta, United and American all have flights.
Oh then fly there! Will save you time. Driving from Chicago to those parts of Michigan can be cumbersome due to traffic, especially through Indiana. You'll save more time. Plus GR is a great city too!

Old 03-19-2018, 07:32 PM

93,591 posts, read 124,293,378 times
If you are open to Lake Ontario, I’d say to consider Sackets Harbor for small, quaint and historical or Fair Haven, which has a beach and Chimney Bluffs nearby. Oswego may be an option if you want a small city on the lake.

Sackets Harbor, Jefferson County, New York
A nearby beach: https://parks.ny.gov/parks/90/details.aspx
Is a short drive to this area: https://visit1000islands.com/first-time-visitors/

Fair Haven Area Chamber of Commerce. Discover Lake Ontario's Best Kept Secret.
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/12/hunting.aspx
http://fairpointmarina.com/fair-haven-ny/
https://parks.ny.gov/parks/43/hunting.aspx

Explore Oswego | Oswego New York

Syracuse’s Hancock International or Rochester International would be the best options in terms of airports. Maybe Watertown International if you go with Sackets Harbor, but it is very small. Syracuse is 45 minutes SE of Oswego, an hour and 15 from Sackets Harbor and Rochester is about an hour west of Fair Haven. Fair Haven is about the same from Syracuse.

If you want to go to both, Oswego may be a happy medium. It is closer to Fair Haven, but is still a reasonable drive to Sackets Harbor as well. You can take Route 104 west to Fair Haven and take 104 east to either I-81 north to Route 3 west to Sackets Harbor or take a scenic route by taking Route 3 off of Route 104. You be interested in this too: Seaway Trail

Eastern Lake Ontario: Region Overview
St. Lawrence River / Thousand Islands: Region Overview

Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,308,165 times
The UP of Michigan.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:41 PM

12,860 posts, read 9,604,439 times
Would love to visit.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,188,276 times
Fly into either Grand Rapids or better yet, Traverse City. Everything around Traverse City is wonderful in September. We rented a house on a little lake in Interlochen, MI a few Septembers ago. The weather was perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.