Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
When people living outside Kansas City tell their friends they ”need to drive into the city tomorrow,” do you really think they are planning to slip into Manahattan for the day?
Maybe Manhattan, Kansas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 08:20 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe Manhattan, Kansas!

Old 03-25-2018, 11:32 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
So how about the residents that actually live in Chicago? If they are going downtown do they call it downtown or do they call it the city?
Actual Chicago residents refer to the loop and within a 2 mile radius as "downtown"

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Please don't even get into the concept of "what is downtown"

There are some suburbanites who refer the virtually the whole city as downtown (they would consider areas of the mid-North Side, like Wrigleyville and Wrigley Field to be "downtown".

but I'm going to plead a degree of ignorance here, Brooklyn, as referring to "the city" is what I hear in suburbia; not absolutely sure if Chicagoans do the same.
Mid-Northside or Wrigleyville nowhere near equates to being virtually the whole city though. And to be fair, neighborhoods on the north side such as Lincoln Park and Lakeview do not represent the average Chicago residential area as far as density and sheer amount of amenities within a few square miles. In fact,those two communities have the same amount of density as what actually classify as "downtown", minus high rises.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
  • Actual Chicago residents refer to the loop and within a 2 mile radius as "downtown"

Mid-Northside or Wrigleyville nowhere near equates to being virtually the whole city though. And to be fair, neighborhoods on the north side such as Lincoln Park and Lakeview do not represent the average Chicago residential area as far as density and sheer amount of amenities within a few square miles. In fact,those two communities have the same amount of density as what actually classify as "downtown", minus high rises.
Pretty much the same in Denver, too.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:48 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,513,617 times
Quote:
Oooooops. Metroplex

Metroplex was a marketing term created in the 70s to refer to any metro area with two or more anchors of nearly equal importance. It was made to help sell Dallas/Fort Worth as more modern and exciting, I suppose. In any case, while the word metroplex could refer to any such metro area, it is nearly synonymous for DFW.

The region is often called North Texas or The Metroplex. When people want to refer to the city proper, they'll say Dallas or Fort Worth, or simply "downtown" depending on what side of the metroplex you're on. I can't think offhand of many people saying "the city" to refer to either Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Exactly. Nobody refers to the outer boroughs as "the city" unless they're Archie Bunker types.

And apparently, people in the outer boroughs referring to Manhattan as "the city" used to be less prevalent. My aunt who is in her late 40s has lived in Brooklyn her whole life and views that as a suburbanite thing.
Nah, I doubt it was less prevalent years ago, it was probably more prevalent in the past because it is a tradition that comes from hundreds of years ago when just Manhattan was the city and the outer boroughs were not.

Traditions get handed down like that. And it is not just Manhattan. To this day, the boundary between Brooklyn and the southern part of Queens is called "City Line". That is because Brooklyn became a city in the 1800s (before joining New York) and the "City Line" was the boundary between the City of Brooklyn and the then independent Town of Jamaica in Queens.

Another well known example of tradition - the "the" often used for The Bronx. That is a tradition that goes way back, probably to the 1600s.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:53 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,400,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Nah, I doubt it was less prevalent years ago, it was probably more prevalent in the past because it is a tradition that comes from hundreds of years ago when just Manhattan was the city and the outer boroughs were not.

Traditions get handed down like that. And it is not just Manhattan. To this day, the boundary between Brooklyn and the southern part of Queens is called "City Line". That is because Brooklyn became a city in the 1800s (before joining New York) and the "City Line" was the boundary between the City of Brooklyn and the then independent Town of Jamaica in Queens.

Another well known example of tradition - the "the" often used for The Bronx. That is a tradition that goes way back, probably to the 1600s.
It’s crazy how obviousl City Line sounds yet here I am thinking it was just a neighborhood with no meaning. Well then again what about NYC isn’t historic? Lol

Old 03-27-2018, 07:42 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,918,842 times
"I'm heading down the city" or "I'm headed into the city" is commonplace for anyone in Greater Boston.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:25 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
oh, yea, I remember hearing that. But that doesn't work in the M/SP metro area, right? What does a person in Bloomington say to refer to Mpls or StP?
Minneapolis or St. Paul. As pointed out earlier, some people from Minneapolis refer to it as "The City" (probably because they have a superiority complex), but virtually no one outside if it does.

Old 03-27-2018, 03:16 PM

453 posts, read 317,730 times
Nyc is the more complex i think

If you are in an outer boro you could say: i am going to Manhattan, that would include Harlem.
but if you say I am going to the city, Harlem is excluded. Harlem is in Manhattan but is not the city.
if you are in Harlem and you are going to the city, you never say "i am going to the city", you say: "going downtown."

if you are in Brooklyn and you are going to Manhattan you say "going to the city."
but if you are in the Bronx you say "downtown." The Bronx is kinda part of the city as the street count continues into he Bronx. making Manhattan the de facto downtown of the Bronx. but the bronx is not the city. lol

if you are in Brooklyn and you say going "downtown" you are going to downtown Brooklyn, not Manhattan.

if you are in the city and you say "i am going to Staten island" people would say "eww'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.