Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 08:38 PM

340 posts, read 175,667 times

Advertisements

NY is NOT known for surfing, it is more known for Timberland boots than surfing or beach activities.... Huntington beach is known as the center of surfing, they even have surfer riots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2022, 08:43 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
NY is NOT known for surfing, it is more known for Timberland boots than surfing or beach activities.... Huntington beach is known as the center of surfing, they even have surfer riots.
Fire Island, Montauk, Long Beach, Jones Beach, Coney Island … are some of the most iconic beaches

And NJ, lets not forget the Jersey Shore.

This part of the country IS known for beaches … & amazing ones @ that!

The ONLY thing better about CA beaches are that they’re free but with that comes all sorts of riff raff. We pay for beaches here but it keeps it mainly locals so its ppl who live in the area & take care of the beach bc it’s their home.

Im glad the beaches here are not free for alls for everyone to go.

Old 05-11-2022, 08:47 PM

340 posts, read 175,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Fire Island, Montauk, Long Beach, Jones Beach, Coney Island … are some of the most iconic beaches

And NJ, lets not forget the Jersey Shore.

This part of the country IS known for beaches … & amazing ones @ that!

The ONLY thing better about CA beaches are that they’re free but with that comes all sorts of riff raff. We pay for beaches here but it keeps it mainly locals so its ppl who live in the area & take care of the beach bc it’s their home.

I'll give you Jersey shore for Jersey but the real Long Beach is the one and only LBC... oh and Coney Island is like the peir in Santa Monica.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:28 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
I’ll never quite get the idea of paying for beach access.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:32 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,846,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdawg8181 View Post
but since when does surfing & skateboarding define ‘cool’ anyway?

Old 05-12-2022, 04:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I’ll never quite get the idea of paying for beach access.
We own a share at a private beach a mile from the house. The annual fee is $300-something plus $150 for a bath house. Stickers for the town beach are $40. If you don’t live in the town or own property, you can’t access the beach. The gated summer communities have private beaches. One town over, there is a big state beach out of towners use with a private beach next to it and the town beach beyond that. The state beach is $40 for out of staters. $15 in-state.

I’ve never understood the attraction of a beach jammed with 100,000 tourists. Other than the state beach 20 minutes away, we don’t have that here.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Modern skateboard technology showed up in the mid-1970s. Polyurethane wheels. Sealed bearings. Better trucks/axles. Fiberglass decks. Surfing launched as cool in the late 1950s. The movie Gidget was 1959. Elvis did Blue Hawaii in 1961. Beach Boys surfer music. That’s also when foam core fiberglass surfboards showed up.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We own a share at a private beach a mile from the house. The annual fee is $300-something plus $150 for a bath house. Stickers for the town beach are $40. If you don’t live in the town or own property, you can’t access the beach. The gated summer communities have private beaches. One town over, there is a big state beach out of towners use with a private beach next to it and the town beach beyond that. The state beach is $40 for out of staters. $15 in-state.

I’ve never understood the attraction of a beach jammed with 100,000 tourists. Other than the state beach 20 minutes away, we don’t have that here.
Exactly why i said what I said above. I personally love having paid beach access bc it keeps numbers down & keeps it mainly local ppl.

I love CA beaches but they get so packed & I drove around for 2 hours to find parking - we dont have that here. Pay, park, spread out … it’s wonderful

Old 05-12-2022, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
I'll give you Jersey shore for Jersey but the real Long Beach is the one and only LBC... oh and Coney Island is like the peir in Santa Monica.
Coney Island is kinda trashy TBH. As are many places like it.

Long Beach NY is mostly residential along the boardwalk so it is quiet, classy, well-maintained bc ppl take care of it. Places like Santa Monica, Atlantic City, Coney island u get loiterers, drunk people, loud music, litter … Long Beach NY is not like that. Ppl live there & wont stand for it or allow it

Old 05-12-2022, 08:13 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Right, but I think when you look at this from a "state" level, NY kind of gets eliminated because all of the state (outside of NYC), isn't thought of as "cool." When you say "NY State," it's not thought of as "cool." Same with Nevada. Las Vegas, maybe, but not "Nevada." I think Arizona and Colorado probably has a cooler reputation at a state level than Las Vegas or New York.

This is all a stretch and based on personal opinions/interpretation of the question, but I think it's California....big gap......Florida at a "state level." Then maybe Arizona and Colorado, I could see a potential honorable mention.
Colorado is way cooler than Denver. So if you just break it down to city level, Denver is not top 10.

State level, Colorado is definitely up there. Many people live in Denver because of close proximity to outdoors, not the city itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.