Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2022, 07:14 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
People could easily move to other parts of Colorado in that case (especially now with remote work) but they don’t. What’s the reason?
Denver proper actually lost population in the past year. So the shift has already started. But probably more due to COL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 07:33 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
Denver proper actually lost population in the past year. So the shift has already started. But probably more due to COL.
A former colleague of mine moved from Denver to Fort Collins recently. I first met him when he worked for AT&T Broadband (now part of Comcast) in 2001. He had been living in the “cool” part of Denver around University. The relentless congestion got to him and he’s 95% remote. It won’t kill him to drive to Denver once in a while and airport access on the toll road is good. He’s right in the epicenter of Fort Collins so he’s not giving up the high walk score.

Old 05-13-2022, 07:55 AM

2,377 posts, read 1,060,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Maybe it's just me but I think New Mexico is cool...even the license plate is cool...
not to mention the state flag ...I have it up in my rec room ...
just Santa Fe alone...I'm mean that's cool right there...

Also Montana and Idaho are states where people are thinking of moving to
or dreaming they could move to ...nobody dreams of moving to Iowa or Kansas...
Boise in particular is a very hot market...

Also Bozeman, MT....Kalispel, MT....are hot with real estate prices increasing rapidly.

Old 05-13-2022, 08:19 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,898,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB365 View Post
Maybe it's just me but I think New Mexico is cool...even the license plate is cool...

Also Bozeman, MT....Kalispel, MT....are hot with real estate prices increasing rapidly.
Idaho and Boise are growing fast, among the fastest growth percentage in the nation.
It is a beautiful state, beautiful cities, some of the finest mountain scenery in the nation.

Old 05-13-2022, 09:52 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,732,306 times
Quote:

NM does have awesome plate and flag. I think ABQ brings it down a bit. Shame since that is mostly what people know about NM.

I've driven through ABQ and not the best place.

Santa Fe and Taos bring up the coolness factor though.

Quick tidbit: NM wanted "Sunshine State" for their slogan but FL had already taken it or something to that effect. So they chose "Land of Enchantment", which to me is a lot better.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:19 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Colorado is way cooler than Denver. So if you just break it down to city level, Denver is not top 10.

State level, Colorado is definitely up there. Many people live in Denver because of close proximity to outdoors, not the city itself.
Someone clearly has some Denver issues. Colorado more or less is defined by Denver given its the capital, the largest city in the state by far, one of the few major cities with every pro sports franchise and has a young fairly well-educated population.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:06 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Someone clearly has some Denver issues. Colorado more or less is defined by Denver given its the capital, the largest city in the state by far, one of the few major cities with every pro sports franchise and has a young fairly well-educated population.
I think the belief that far-flung mountain towns like Salida, Buena Vista, Gunnison, etc, are suddenly going to become burgeoning mini-cities due to remote work is highly unlikely for several reasons.

The cost of building new homes is prohibitively expensive across the board. Mountain towns typically don't have large parcels of flattish land that are easy to build on, and the land itself is expensive. There are no guarantees you'll be able to have your property connected to water and/or sewer, and if you have to dig a well the building costs can skyrocket. The smaller towns also usually have P&Z departments that aren't exactly fast and efficient. The labor force required for rapidly building large-scale developments does not exist.

Medical care in the mountains is not good. If you need critical care you could be a couple hours by air ambulance away from the nearest capable trauma center.

High speed internet is not guaranteed. You could be stuck using something cost-prohibitive like point-to-point internet, satellite internet, or old, slow DSL.

Mountain towns lack amenities of the bigger cities. Reliable airports with inexpensive year-round commercial service to more than a handful of destinations could be several hours away.

Denver's growth may be slackening due to prices and interest rate increases, but growth in the Denver suburbs is still high. Next door neighbor put his house on the market and received a full-price offer in less than a week.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:40 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Quote:
You can’t just erase history because of an off year that isn’t even exclusive to one place. Large American cities in general lost population over the last year. Only a handful in the sunbelt escaped the pattern. The “shift” is most likely temporary like everywhere else…
Quote:
NM does have awesome plate and flag. I think ABQ brings it down a bit. Shame since that is mostly what people know about NM.

I've driven through ABQ and not the best place.

Santa Fe and Taos bring up the coolness factor though.

Quick tidbit: NM wanted "Sunshine State" for their slogan but FL had already taken it or something to that effect. So they chose "Land of Enchantment", which to me is a lot better.
ABQ’s balloon fiesta alone raises the states cool factor by a lot. That along with the history, food, scenery, architecture and growing film industry make it a pretty cool city imo. It could use a little work promoting itself as a place to settle down. The offerings are there though.

Last edited by Mezter; 05-13-2022 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-13-2022, 06:17 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:

I changed mine to the chile license plate when it was issued 5 years ago. It won in a landslide a poll of best looking license plates in 2018. Our aqua license plate alternative is similarly cool, and of course the old original yellow with red lettter and numbering is pretty cool as well. But the chile license plate to me is the coolest looking license plate in the country.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:26 PM

340 posts, read 175,667 times
I been to Denver and CO plenty times... Ill say the mountains you see on the beer can? Thats the rockies, jusr an hour west of Denver. I also like the view coming down I-70 into Denver at night, it reminds me of socal when you come down the hill pass the mountains.. Denver is a place where people get high and enjoy the outdoors so thats a def plus.. Ill put in SLC Utah and Utah in general, real nice place, very scenic state period. I like all those states up there, they have nice topogrophy. I say Oregon and Wash state is up there too for the scenic trees and mountains along with northern Cali but you have to be mindful of the right wingers that live in approximate areas with the Liberals because they have tensions in the community. Like Hines, Oregon.

Last edited by number 4 mvp; 05-13-2022 at 06:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.