Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 11:18 AM

16,077 posts, read 10,738,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
Just a thread for fun. Imagine you're sitting at a bar and you pull out your state ID/drivers license to the bartender, or someone asks you what state you're from (and you reply).
I can only reference how I would react...knee jerk wise, and impressions gained over seven decades.
Here are a few fascinating positives on my list. I won't bore you with the negatives.
New Mexico -- Where I live and there are only a few of us. We are a rare breed in the wild.
Maryland -- I am fascinated by the Chesapeake Bay region. I like Baltimore.
Louisiana -- Food: Creole and Cajun and French and all that in a gumbo. And then there is music, too.
Oregon -- Never been there but want to go.
New York -- Contrasts of cultural urban mix and upstate sense of apartness. Hudson valley.
Wyoming -- had some very good experiences there long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
For me personally, NM is the most fascinating state I've ever been to.
Yeah -- I fell in love with the place at ten on my first visit but couldn't convince my parents to move there. It took me six decades to finally settle in permanently. Life gets in the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 04:27 PM

914 posts, read 560,866 times
Hawaii
Alaska
Louisiana
Maine

Old 12-01-2021, 06:00 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad_hotline View Post
Alaska fascinates me in that I don't understand how people can bear to live up there. It is easily one of the most picturesque states, but it seems so cold and cut-off. Guess I'm not that rugged.
I agree. I lived there (Anchorage) for two years in the 90’s. A somewhat big urban city surrounded by wilderness. Someone once said it is like someone planted Santa Ana, California in the middle of nowhere. Loved the beauty, the cool summer weather. Hated the early and late winters (October through early April). I was pleased to move back to the lower 48, but I only speak for myself as I know many love the climate.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 12-01-2021 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-01-2021, 06:54 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Florida
California
Arizona
Pennsylvania
Texas

Old 12-01-2021, 06:55 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga;51888675[B
]I was always joked if Arizona and Colorado had a kid, it would be called Utah! [/b]Southern Utah (topography-wise) reminds me of parts of Arizona and the mountains in Utah reminds me of some of the ones in Colorado.
That is pretty funny!! Thanks.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:56 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,042,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga;51888675[B
]I was always joked if Arizona and Colorado had a kid, it would be called Utah! [/b]Southern Utah (topography-wise) reminds me of parts of Arizona and the mountains in Utah reminds me of some of the ones in Colorado.
That is pretty funny!! Thanks.

Wyoming is remote?? The next door neighbor is Nebraska.

Old 12-01-2021, 07:36 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Florida
California
Arizona
Pennsylvania
Texas
Not sure what's so exciting about PA, or for that matter CA or TX. Usually these big states originate a lot of car and tourist volume across the country. Rental cars also often have those plates.

It's more exciting for me to see an Idaho or Alaska plate and have someone tell me they are from there TBH.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:27 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
If you drive a lomg time on an Interstate, it seems like the plates you see least frequently are Louisiana and New Hampshire. You see a lot more Vermonts than New Hampsshires. Oh, Delawares are very rare, too.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:50 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,961,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Not sure what's so exciting about PA, or for that matter CA or TX. Usually these big states originate a lot of car and tourist volume across the country. Rental cars also often have those plates.

It's more exciting for me to see an Idaho or Alaska plate and have someone tell me they are from there TBH.
Central PA is interesting to me with small factory towns, mountains, rural areas. I like it

CA is geographically the prettiest state that I've been to, then you add in LA... Impossible to beat.

I only comment on states that I've been to.

Old 12-02-2021, 12:07 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,355,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutknight View Post
Hawaii does the same thing to me I'm so fascinated by the people who chose to live in such an isolated place.
'm fascinated by the fact anyone ever found the Island chain before big ships or air travel was possible. Its 2000 miles from the US Mainland. Its 5 hours to Bora Bora, so also bout 2,000 miles away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.