Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 08:41 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,154,770 times

Advertisements

I am curious which cities have the best views of mountains? Are there any residential highrises in walkable areas that also offer nice, somewhat close-up mountain views? Just want to get a handle on this, I have never lived anywhere like that.

I would assume places like Seattle, LA, Portland, SLC, Phoenix, Asheville, Pittsburgh might offer that to some degree, but nothing obvious or grandiose. The breathtaking views I assume are mostly gonna be in less populated areas. Please enlighten me!! TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 09:32 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Vancouver would be the closest to actual mountains.

All Western US and Canadian cities have mountains in the background. But most are distant from the urban highrise areas. Unless you mean hills...LA, SD, SF, Sea, PDX...all have hills outside your window.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:44 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

AllWestern US and Canadian cities have mountains in the background. But most are distant from the urban highrise areas. Unless you mean hills...LA, SD, SF, Sea, PDX...all have hills outside your window.
Toronto is flat

Old 06-02-2018, 10:04 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,868,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

All Western US and Canadian cities have mountains in the background. But most are distant from the urban highrise areas. Unless you mean hills...LA, SD, SF, Sea, PDX...all have hills outside your window.
Seattle has no mountains views? Not exactly.

The Cascades to the east, the Olympics to the west.

Mount Baker to the NE, Mount Rainier to the SE. Hills yes, but actual mountains...also a yes.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:08 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,628,273 times
Denver

Old 06-02-2018, 10:33 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,268,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Toronto is flat
All “western” US and Canadian cities....

Toronto is not located in western Canada.

Toronto is pretty flat but is intersected by deep ravines and
also has the Scarborough Bluffs along the edge of Lake Ontario.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:10 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I am curious which cities have the best views of mountains? Are there any residential highrises in walkable areas that also offer nice, somewhat close-up mountain views? Just want to get a handle on this, I have never lived anywhere like that.

I would assume places like Seattle, LA, Portland, SLC, Phoenix, Asheville, Pittsburgh might offer that to some degree, but nothing obvious or grandiose. The breathtaking views I assume are mostly gonna be in less populated areas. Please enlighten me!! TIA!
Salt Lake City has the most reliable views of mountains of the cities you've mentioned. Seattle and Portland them but they're often hidden behind clouds.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:52 AM

1,631 posts, read 2,385,526 times
Honolulu - amazing views.

Los Angeles - the nearest tall mountains 3000-5000 ft range above Pasadena/Altadena are about 20 miles from Downtown where high rises are located. Pasadena is walkable but no highrises except for some office buildings/hotels I think. The closer you are the less dramatic they become because the taller peaks are towards the back. But up close you cant see it because of the lower peaks block the view. Downtown offers great panoramas especially on clear days but still the tallest one are about 50+ away.

Old 06-03-2018, 07:17 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Anywhere in downtown Denver gives you mountain views. Boulder if you want to be far closer.

Honorable mention: Santiago, Chile

Old 06-03-2018, 10:59 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Seattle has no mountains views? Not exactly.

The Cascades to the east, the Olympics to the west.

Mount Baker to the NE, Mount Rainier to the SE. Hills yes, but actual mountains...also a yes.
I don't know why you're quoting me. I said:

"All Western US and Canadian cities have mountains in the background. But most are distant from the urban highrise areas."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.