Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post

Most other cities mentioned so far, while having nice attributes about them, or close to amazing scenery, are too landlocked or one dimensional. Weather is a factor for most too. It’s just my opinion, but if you have crummy weather where you can’t enjoy being comfortable outside on a daily basis what good is it.
No city spends 365 days a year in abject misery. There are personalities on here who pedal this hyperbole about weather. I get it. If you don't like winter you don't like winter. People who are not strong enough to handle cold, are no different than people who are not strong enough to handle heat. They all consider their opinion the most valid.

I for one cannot stand the weather west of the Mississipi. I like to be surrounded by water and life, not brown hills and weeds. I need rain, I need epic thunderstorms, I need clouds. Living in Phoenix and Southern California for 6 years I'd started going batty after about the 40th day of unrelenting sun. I have never found mountains to be breath taking(especially the arid rockies), or necessary for beauty.

I'd add all Michigan metro's and their access to the stunning north country to this list, even if you have to wear a coat for part of the year.

Last edited by mjlo; 08-23-2018 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 06:27 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth88 View Post
Title is relatively straightforward...which cities have the most beautiful outdoors areas within a 1-2 hour drive? For the purposes of this thread, let’s define a city as anywhere with >200k MSA.
As usual there's a west coast bias given most of the responses. However for those familiar, one to two hour drives from cities like Washington DC, Boston and NYC offer up stunning landscapes in places like the Shenandoah Valley/Blue Ridge Mountains (DC), Cape Cod/White Mountains/NH Lakes Region (Boston) or Hudson Valley/Long Island (NYC).

Old 08-23-2018, 06:36 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Portland, Oregon is hard to beat. Within 2 hours you can be skiing on Mt Hood, fishing the Columbia river for salmon, or white sturgeon, playing in the surf at Astoria, hiking on numerous trails in the area, enjoying professional soccer (Timbers), professional basketball (Trailblazers), watching college football and basketball (Oregon State Beavers). Loads of opportunities.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:11 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,938,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
No city spends 365 days a year in abject misery. There are personalities on here who pedal this hyperbole about weather. I get it. If you don't like winter you don't like winter. People who are not strong enough to handle cold, are no different than people who are not strong enough to handle heat. They all consider their opinion the most valid.

I for one cannot stand the weather west of the Mississipi. I like to be surrounded by water and life, not brown hills and weeds. I need rain, I need epic thunderstorms, I need clouds. Living in Phoenix and Southern California for 6 years I'd started going batty after about the 40th day of unrelenting sun. I have never found mountains to be breath taking(especially the arid rockies), or necessary for beauty.

I'd add all Michigan metro's and their access to the stunning north country to this list, even if you have to wear a coat for part of the year.
I'd agree that many, many locations around the country have excellent outdoor opportunities, with a wide variety of landscapes and weather- and that places like Michigan are highly underrated in this type of thread. I do think you're generalizing a lot about the west, though. Not all places look remotely like Phoenix or Southern Cal, not by a longshot.

Like everyone else in this conversation, I'm biased. So I'll just say that I think there are very few places as gorgeous and well-positioned for accessible recreation on this planet as this corner of the United States.

Bellingham, WA is the only place in the Cascades where the mountains meet the sea in the NW, and within 2 hours you can be in the San Juan Islands, exploring temperate rain forests, mountaineering on jagged mountains, skiing in some of the snowiest places in the planet, climbing on massive rock faces, or hanging out in great cities like Vancouver, BC or Seattle. Expand it to 3 hours and you can add deserts, the Pacific Coast and the Olympic mountains.

Above Bellingham
[vimeo]195260295[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/195260295

Old 08-23-2018, 07:16 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
Define Beautiful.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:22 AM

93,338 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
There's really countless options for this criteria.
This and is pretty subjective too.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:49 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
I'd agree that many, many locations around the country have excellent outdoor opportunities, with a wide variety of landscapes and weather- and that places like Michigan are highly underrated in this type of thread. I do think you're generalizing a lot about the west, though. Not all places look remotely like Phoenix or Southern Cal, not by a longshot.
You are correct it's a pretty overt generalization. I was more using hyperbole to showcase hyperbole. I get a bit worn down by the posters that write off large swaths of the country based on their personal preferences, but present their opinion as if it's simply known fact.

I know the difference between the lush PacNW and the arid Southwest very well. Even the front range and plains are different. Overall my preferences are still for the weather, and topographical style of the eastern US vs. the West.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:53 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I strongly agree and would add humidity to the "abject misery" index....i.e. the east coast is humid year round nonsense.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:54 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Define Beautiful.
Great point. Looking at DownSouth88's post history, I think he meant a mountainous area where he can hike/mountain bike.

For some "natural beauty" and "beautiful outdoors" could mean the endless beaches of Florida, but I don't think the OP was referring to that!

Old 08-23-2018, 08:20 AM

11,101 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownSouth88 View Post
Title is relatively straightforward...which cities have the most beautiful outdoors areas within a 1-2 hour drive? For the purposes of this thread, let’s define a city as anywhere with >200k MSA.
It depends on your idea of "most beautiful outdoors". Some like the beach/coast, some like hiking in wooded areas, some like boating on lakes, some like dry and rocky mountains, etc.

Without clarification, we'll each give our own unique idea of what we want, rather than what the OP wants.

Even above, someone went on about humidity, and it being awful. I've found super dry regions to be the true awful areas, with humidity a plus and benefit. There's a big difference between dry mountainous regions and watered mountainous regions, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.