Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 01:03 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times

Advertisements

Because living in a large city is awful. That's why.

The Internet makes it possible to have almost everything you get in a large city with zero of the BS.
If I want to purchase goods, it can be done online. If I want to meet a date, it can be done online. If I want to just communicate and express my ideas or opinions like I'm doing right now, it can be done online. Even getting a college education or a decent career can all be done online now.

Cities are becoming more obsolete by the day because of the Internet. Just wait until drone technology really takes off and one can travel 30 miles in a straight line to their destination in 15 minutes instead of spending over an hour driving there. Cities are going to become geographically larger with more burbs and less dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 01:04 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Honestly I think most American cities are suburban in layout anyway.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post

The Internet makes it possible to have almost everything you get in a large city with zero of the BS.
If I want to purchase goods, it can be done online. If I want to meet a date, it can be done online. If I want to just communicate and express my ideas or opinions like I'm doing right now, it can be done online. Even getting a college education or a decent career can all be done online now.

Cities are becoming more obsolete by the day because of the Internet. Just wait until drone technology really takes off and one can travel 30 miles in a straight line to their destination in 15 minutes instead of spending over an hour driving there. Cities are going to become geographically larger with more burbs and less dense.
Many people disagree with that, myself included.

I grew up in the suburbs and I prefer hanging out in urban areas

Old 09-02-2018, 02:22 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,973,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post

Not everyone aspires to be a couch potato! J/k

Old 09-02-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Why would I want to live in a concrete/brick box, force myself into a bus/subway, drag groceries and 40 pound cat litter boxes on the bus, have no personal outside space?
City living is not for cat people.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
True. I live in the second most populated city in the country and most of the area, if not population, is for detached, single family housing.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
True. I live in the second most populated city in the country and most of the area, if not population, is for detached, single family housing.
And Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, and Austin are even more suburban!

Old 09-02-2018, 03:14 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Maybe cities in Texas but not in places like NYC, Boston, DC, etc.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:25 PM

482 posts, read 242,082 times
Quote:
Many people disagree with that, myself included.

I grew up in the suburbs and I prefer hanging out in urban areas
Hanging out and living are two different things. There is a big difference between having coffee or drinks with your friends and buying a house in a large city. This is the biggest reason why so many young people eventually retreat to the burbs.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:09 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
America grew up differently than Europe. The American Dream from post World War 2 was to own a suburban house with a yard and a fence. America became more car centric than European cities, and wealthier than Central and South American cities so suburbs were achievable for the middle class. Sure cities are gentrifying now, but a lot of the people gentrifying grew up in the suburbs and move back when they have kids because the schools are better and they don't care about nightlife as much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.