Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,858,212 times

Advertisements

In the Sunny Isles area of Miami-Dade, New York, New Jersey and Quebec.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 11:05 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,414,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
In the Sunny Isles area of Miami-Dade, New York, New Jersey and Quebec.
why is Quebec more noticeable in Miami more then the other new England states, or east coast states?

does it have something to do with Haitians?

Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,956,558 times
Something I increasingly pay attention to is not simply the state, but where in the state they come from, given how most cars these days have the dealership and city around them. For example, it is harder to find something from far Western Maryland here in Central MD than it is finding York or Hanover, PA since that is the edge of the commuting zone for the DC/Baltimore region along with the population density difference.

Another thing is to see what plates are found based on the hiearchy of roads, from interstates to side streets. For example, I feel more impressed seeing a Virginia plate at my local church in Central Maryland than I do seeing a Florida plate on I-95. Here is a rough guide on how likely you will find out of state plates:

TIER ONE (Most likely)
-Military bases
-Large Airports
-Large tourist destinations

TIER TWO
-Interstate highways
-Smaller airports
-Smaller tourist destinations

TIER THREE
-Regional shopping malls
-US highways and limited acess state highways
-Stadiums and arenas
-Large office complexes

TIER FOUR
-Local shopping malls and strip centers
-Full access state highways and primary neighborhood arteries
-Cathedrals and Synagogues
-Small office complexes

TIER FIVE (Least likely)
-Side streets and neighborhood streets
-Agricultural development
-Mom and pop businesses
-Places of worship, except for cathedrals and synagogues

Old 08-14-2012, 11:48 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
why is Quebec more noticeable in Miami more then the other new England states, or east coast states?

does it have something to do with Haitians?
Not in any significant way.

It is mostly related to this:

29ieme tempete de neige, quebec, 08/03/2008 - YouTube

Old 08-14-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Not in any significant way.

It is mostly related to this:

29ieme tempete de neige, quebec, 08/03/2008 - YouTube
yea but snow and cold winters reflect the whole northeast as well even though the weather up their is more harsh.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:50 AM

looking at the video of canadian winters. Cars that are not all wheel drive should be illegal in canada, and parts of russia, and alaska as well.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
yea but snow and cold winters reflect the whole northeast as well even though the weather up their is more harsh.
And even then it depends. Some parts of northern New England actually have harsher winters than Montreal and much of southwestern Quebec.

I'll try to think of something to add to the explanation.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
looking at the video of canadian winters. Cars that are not all wheel drive should be illegal in canada, and parts of russia, and alaska as well.
Well, to be quite honest that video was made in an exceptional, record winter. It's not always like that.

Note that snow tires are mandatory in Quebec from Dec. 15- Mar. 15, but AWD is not.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:29 PM

Default Quebec Plates in SE FL

Here is a theory as to why there seem to be more than plates from New England.

Quebec has more than 8 million people, which is more than any New England state (even Mass.).

Quebec has roughly the same population as Virginia or New Jersey.

Also, people from Quebec tend to all go to one specific area of Florida (except Disney), which is roughly the area between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

People from the NE US as well as from Ontario, tend to spread out more across the state I think.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
NY, NJ, PA, & FL are by far the most common, followed by CT, DE, MD, VA, NC, & VT. ON is the most common Canadian plate.

None of the Lower 48 license plates are that rare, I even see Hawaii's from time to time. I think the only license plates I haven't seen yet in NYC are Nunavut, Northwest Territories, Yukon, & British Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.