Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2022, 07:26 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times

Advertisements

I live in the south (Tennessee) so I am biased. I am politically aligned with where I am at, I am a Christian and am happy with the way things are where I live. I enjoy the warm humid weather and lush green surroundings. I am at home here.

I could never live in the Pacific Northwest. The place represents the polar opposite of everything I am and believe in. I’ve heard it is beautiful but it’s just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 06:49 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in the south (Tennessee) so I am biased. I am politically aligned with where I am at, I am a Christian and am happy with the way things are where I live. I enjoy the warm humid weather and lush green surroundings. I am at home here.

I could never live in the Pacific Northwest. The place represents the polar opposite of everything I am and believe in. I’ve heard it is beautiful but it’s just not for me.
The Pacific Northwest has infinitely nicer weather than anywhere in Tennessee. It has more microclimates within 10 miles than anywhere in the eastern US. You can find drier climates, wetter climates, forested areas, and semi-arid areas all on the Olympic Peninsula. Also the rural areas of the Olympic Peninsula are not the same as the Seattle metro area politically as a whole.

Old 09-27-2022, 10:17 AM

1,376 posts, read 927,370 times
I'll take living in Atlanta over Seattle but if it's rural southeast vs rural NW, I'll probably choose NW.

Old 09-27-2022, 02:16 PM

6,378 posts, read 5,000,641 times
In descending order, PNW marked in bold

Seattle
Portland
Atlanta
DFW
Houston
Austin
New Orleans
Charlotte/Research Triangle
Nashville
Birmingham
Orlando
Tulsa
OKC
Spokane
Miami
Mid-sized PNW cities (Eugene, Bellingham, Tri-Cities etc.)
Mid-sized Southern cities (Amarillo, Lubbock, Tallahassee, Macon, etc.)
Small PNW towns
Small Southern towns (Appalachia e.g. WV)
Small Southern towns (TX + OK)
Small Southern towns (Deep South)

Old 09-28-2022, 12:53 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd rather be culturally expected to recycle than culturally expected to be religious.
Hold this L

Old 09-28-2022, 01:05 PM

1,350 posts, read 882,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Hold this L
I laughed lol

Old 09-28-2022, 01:30 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,291,482 times
To answer the question seroiusly... It depends. I guess I'll do what I saw someone else do with PNW cities in bold of places where I would rather live.

Seattle
Vancouver B.C
Atlanta
Charleston
Nashville
Portland
Victoria B.C
Savannah
Charlotte
Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro/Winston-Salem NC
Asheville N.C
Greenville SC
Boise
Bend OR
Salem OR
Columbia SC
Rural PNW
Rural South East

I think the PNW is better from a rural stand point. The south has better mid-size cities of comparable size to the PNW. I do prefer the more moderate climate of the PNW so that plays a factor.

Last edited by Turnerbro; 09-28-2022 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-28-2022, 05:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Most of you will think this is frivolous but it's important to me...more so than common factors such as "good schools". One reason I might prefer the south is I prefer women who wear a lot of makeup. My impression is Southern women wear the most makeup and Northwestern women wear the least...usually none and it looks awful to me. Thankfully I live in a NW city that is 50% Hispanic and the latinas wear a ton of makeup. If it wasnt for the Hispanic population I would relocate because of this.
Oh man, REALLY.

Woman without makeup are enough to make you move!! I suspect armpit hair on woman sends you totally over the top.

As a Latino of European origin I really like armpit hair on my women. Natural and all that.

As a forester, I like my women without make up. It doesn't look good in the woods as it melt and runs. Gets pretty ugly at that point.

As a man....do you really believe GOD put women on this earth for YOUR needs??

Old 09-28-2022, 06:03 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,341,464 times
I'll take the PNW over the Southeast any day, homelessness, COL and all. Better paying jobs, better weather(extensive drizzle and cooler temps>>>tornado threats and high heat lasting into October), better urban environments, islands off the Washington coast.

Miami is the only place that can compete with anything in the PNW. The rest of the SE just flat out sucks.

Old 09-28-2022, 06:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I mean before my move to Atlanta I did heavily consider Seattle so I did this very recently. There were a few reasons for my choices.

1. Atlanta is closer to my family out East (Florida, New Orleans, and Baltimore) so even though none were in Atlanta they were at least close-ish to some degree. Seattle is not horrible via plane to my hometown of Phoenix, but Seattle like all the Western cities are heavily isolated and it would’ve made it difficult to see my family that now has begun moving to the South or east coast.
2. Seattle winters I was unsure of to be frank, freezing cold rain? I’d rather have snow. Atlanta’s weather is not perfect but it’s definitely a lot closer to my ideals.
3. Atlanta and Seattle are both very large cities with strong economies but Atlanta has more specialization in my industry (blue collar work in factories or logistics). Atlanta is also the state capital and the county seat so all city state and county jobs are located there as well and there’s lots of public sector work in my industry. Then Atlanta being the “NYC of the South” as the SE hub for Fed jobs is only another bonus. Atlanta also has a couple of unique niches like the CDC HQ and the growing film industry that has work for me. Now Seattle is definitely still a strong city in my industry there’s no doubt about that, but Seattle is stronger in white collar work isolated from the “essential jobs” that are my specialty whereas this doesn’t ring true for Atlanta at least once again, to the same degree.
4. Atlanta’s COL isn’t a literal death wish, rents and housing costs in the Pacific Northwest are out of control I was worried about my growth potential there.
5. Honestly the “Seattle freeze” was something I was concerned about I was worried about making friends in the city since I’d be knowing zero people if I moved there. Atlantans don’t have a reputation of being cold shouldered.

However one thing I will say is Seattle’s biggest pros are what I would say are potentially Atlanta’s biggest cons. I’m a progressive and I wish Atlanta had Seattle’s politics. While I do like the green trees and rolling hills of Atlanta it would’ve been cool to have more striking natural features and water like Seattle, but this is just a desire for visuals not something I need. Seattle is also big on urbanism and is working hard to improve bike and public transit infrastructure and this is where Atlanta, for a city of its stature, is possibly the worst in the country because Atlanta is barely doing anything.

In sum, Seattle mostly matches with a city of what I want: a progressive urban city with beautiful landscapes, lots of people my age (mid to late 20s), good job market and values education, transit, good airport, etc. However Atlanta matches with a city of what I need: a liberal (at a minimum) city with tolerable if not desirable weather, lots of people my age, fantastic job market, close to my support system with opportunities for personal stability (re: COL), with good bones for urbanism and transit that can be utilized, a good airport and still has access to beautiful natural areas. I went with the city that better matches my needs and I don’t regret my decision but if I could take Seattle and transplant it in the SE I’d be very very happy. But, it’s easier to make Atlanta more progressive than it is to move Seattle to a different geographic region.

I’ve never been to the Pacific Northwest but I’ve been to Vancouver BC and I’ve been to SE Alaska and I know just how striking that part of the world is. I do hope I get to go back and see it one day. However I live in the South and I’m happy to be here too thinking that while not as striking, how pretty the Appalachians and the east coast beaches can be too

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 09-28-2022 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.