Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 08:20 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I'd rather be culturally expected to recycle than culturally expected to be religious.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Hold this L
One (in theory) is focused on how we treat each other and being better humans, while the other is more concerned about how we treat the planet.
I like the planet and all, but first things first. I'll take religion.

I'll take the southeast because I could stomach the culture and politics better even though I much prefer the cooler weather and big mountains of the PNW.

Up until a couple days ago I was on a Florida kick and was talking myself into that possibility at some point in the future even though me and heat and humidity are like oil and water.
With the pictures coming in tonight, man, I feel for those people but I can't join them.
For the southeast, there might be an extremely long-shot scenario in which I'd go back to Arkansas but that's probably about it.
Does the PNW include Idaho? Then maybe there's a tossup.

Last edited by sub; 09-28-2022 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 07:44 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
One (in theory) is focused on how we treat each other and being better humans, while the other is more concerned about how we treat the planet.

I'll take the southeast because I could stomach the culture and politics better even though I much prefer the cooler weather and big mountains of the PNW.

That's the thing. I've met many atheists and believe it or not, they treat me well. I admire those that are religious as long as they respect those that aren't.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:12 AM
sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
That's the thing. I've met many atheists and believe it or not, they treat me well. I admire those that are religious as long as they respect those that aren't.
No disagreement here.
I’ve had the same experience.
I was just responding to a post.
When choosing, I’ll take the southeast for culture over the PNW. The religious aspect does seem to play a role in my equation.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
No disagreement here.
I’ve had the same experience.
I was just responding to a post.
When choosing, I’ll take the southeast for culture over the PNW. The religious aspect does seem to play a role in my equation.
Got it. Thanks

Old 09-29-2022, 02:04 PM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
Quote:
One side is SOMETIMES focused on being better humans, but their moral system seems to be external and based on being punished by their god.

I'll take a culture based on personal/cultural moral codes over one based on religion.

Guess where the murders are: The South! The PNW does well by US standards (though not as well as godless Europe of course).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._homicide_rate

Old 09-29-2022, 03:24 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,853,038 times
Quote:
One side is SOMETIMES focused on being better humans, but their moral system seems to be external and based on being punished by their god.

I'll take a culture based on personal/cultural moral codes over one based on religion.

Guess where the murders are: The South! The PNW does well by US standards (though not as well as godless Europe of course).

There is a relationship with poverty, crime, suffering and religion. Not just in US but think of the countries most religious in the world? Somalia, Yemen, Afghanistan are going to be in the top 10 for sure. In the western hemisphere place like Haiti, Bolivia, Brazil, and Guatemala are much more religious than someplace like Canada (those countires are 80-90% religiously active compared to Canada 22%).

I think the relationship is backwards though. Religion thrives there because it helps to get through a challenging life and makes it bearable at the hardest times. Of course there are exceptions, and religious communities tend to produce pockets of safety and prosperity in turbulent regions. Sometimes those pockets expand to the point of the entire area being both safe and religious (Utah). Economic prosperity tends to not be a goal in most religions, so it makes sense that there are places that are highly religious and safe by US/global standards, but not swimming in cash either (Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Morocco). Of course other factors at play in the econimic situations of entire countries.

Anyway I think people tend to reach a certain level of comfort you see i the Anglosphere, Japan, Western Europe and then don't see the need for a faith-based community anymore so it dies away.

I like the South. The Southwest is cooler than the PNW to me by far and on par with the SEUS.

Old 09-29-2022, 04:21 PM
sub

Quote:

"Personal/moral" codes are just as external as religion or as internal as religion, it just depends on the person making the claims.
I'm originally from the south and can assure you that most of the homicides and violent crimes aren't being committed by people who attend church every Sunday and take food baskets to the needy.
Having also lived in a few places outside the south and it's Bible Belt, I can't say that irreligious people have it all figured out either.

In the south, there's the expectation to get to know people who are new in town even if it's just to get them to join their church. It can be annoying if you don't want to go to their church, sure, but it also happens to create an atmosphere among the general public of welcoming new people and making them feel at home regardless.

That welcoming atmosphere is one thing I miss about the south, if nothing else. Sometimes it can be a bit fake, but at least it's something and actual friends are often made anyway.
Seems better than the Seattle Freeze.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:52 AM

8,857 posts, read 6,856,075 times
To my PNW ears, a new acquaintance asking about my religion would be way too invasive. Some would say offensive.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:05 PM

Quote:
To my PNW ears, a new acquaintance asking about my religion would be way too invasive. Some would say offensive.
To my SoCal ears that’s a bit much as well. Just doesn’t come up

Old 10-02-2022, 09:58 PM
sub

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
To my SoCal ears that’s a bit much as well. Just doesn’t come up
Honestly I think it's overblown a good bit and religion doesn't come up as much as people seem to think.
No doubt one can find themselves in just the right situation to experience it but I didn't come across it much at work, nor did I have neighbors that sat around asking about or discussing religion to any great degree, if at all.
Among family members or people who knew each other, sure.

It's anecdotal, but where I work now in Wisconsin I've overheard some very in-depth theological conversations on 3-4 occasions just in the last month or so among different groups of people.
This was heavy stuff I never recall coming across down south in a workplace.
I was under the impression they were supposed to be middle-of-the-pack in terms of religiosity here, if not slightly non-religious, but that doesn't mean you won't encounter religious fervor at all.
I imagine the same could be said about the west coast.
I've been to southern California on occasion and have seen a decent number of mega-churches out there so it's not like they're completely averse to evangelical religion. I've only really been to the PNW once years ago, but see no reason to think that religion has been totally wiped out there either.

All that aside, talking about politics is equally as invasive and offensive.
I'm sure there are people out there on the west coast canvassing neighborhoods, knocking on doors, trying to get others to think like them so that they will be saved from impending doom, all in the name of politics.
No doubt if someone put certain yard signs out in the PNW, some of that "mind your own business" attitude would get thrown out the window rather quickly.
It all looks very similar, from where I'm sitting.

Last edited by sub; 10-02-2022 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.