Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 10:20 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,041,831 times

Advertisements

Southeast. Great economies in several cities, lower COL, great people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 11:09 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,848,510 times
Politics doesn't come up at work either, in my experience. I've worked many years with people and generally had no idea of their politics.

Old 10-10-2022, 04:46 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Southeast. Better prospects for long term rather than that damp dog weather of the PNW.

Besides I can live near beaches that I would actually want to go to like Charleston, or the mountains of Asheville.

I would miss the beautiful nature areas of the PNW. Problem is that the only nice areas are on the coasts while the SE has the coasts to the mountains as getting better. Particularly in the cities which is where I would move to anyway.

The PNW has Portland and Seattle for its realistic contenders for where I would live. The southeast has

Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Charleston, Savannah, Wilmington, Asheville, Greenville.

Sure I wouldn't live in all of them right now, but I can see them all getting better and their proximity only makes it a better location overall.
You shoulda included Huntsville in your post

I've always told people you have to THINK about what it would mean to live in the PNW. If you like gray skies, great. Research what living at "the 45th Parallel" is like. People tried to warn me but I didn't listen. The PNW is beautiful, but it isn't for everyone. Just like the South. It isn't for everyone either. Having lived in both places I'd choose the South (and I'm from California, born in Portland Oregon, visited Oregon many times in my youth and lived there for 7 years as an adult).

Old 10-10-2022, 06:42 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,418,154 times
PNW all the way. The outdoor nature is vastly better, less buggy, less muggy and way more varied. Lots of snow activities in the winter too. If you’re an outdoorsy person, PNW is hard to beat.

People in the Southeast look at you like an alien if you tell them you don’t go to church when they nosily ask you what church you go to. Cost of living is much lower though but if you’re not white or a member of a church, prepare to be ostracized socially. It’s not worth the money savings. Plus salaries in Seattle are substantially higher, no income taxes and more densely located job opportunities making job switches much easier.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:58 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,750,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
PNW all the way. The outdoor nature is vastly better, less buggy, less muggy and way more varied. Lots of snow activities in the winter too. If you’re an outdoorsy person, PNW is hard to beat.

People in the Southeast look at you like an alien if you tell them you don’t go to church when they nosily ask you what church you go to. Cost of living is much lower though but if you’re not white or a member of a church, prepare to be ostracized socially. It’s not worth the money savings. Plus salaries in Seattle are substantially higher, no income taxes and more densely located job opportunities making job switches much easier.
No, they don’t look at you like you’re an alien, and again, the whole church thing is being overblown by people who apparently don’t even live in the south.
Also, the south isn’t any more racist than any other part of the country. Race relations in the south were improving around the same time the PNW started to lose its reputation as a white-supremacist hotbed.
No need to make stuff up.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:02 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,279,227 times
Quote:

Where are you referring to exactly?

Old 10-10-2022, 08:11 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:

When I briefly worked in a grocery store recently, I saw tons of interracial couples, childless and with kids. I didn't see them being ostracized. It depends upon where you live. I don't live in what is considered the Deep South. It's a more cosmopolitan city and metro.

My city of Huntsville is growing like a weed, with a ton of transplants. There are lots of career and job opportunities here.

My main reason for not wanting to live in the PNW is the 45th Parallel and the gray skies. I had a bad case of seasonal affective disorder after few years of living there.

Old 10-11-2022, 07:13 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
Quote:

Do you really believe this? And how much of the South have you actually experienced? This all runs very counter to my observation on a recent visit to the Atlanta area in the city and the suburbs. Also having spent lots of time on multiple visits to the Raleigh area where my sister raised her kids, it feels as progressive as many other metro areas in the north or out west. I think what you may be implying is more of an urban/rural divide, which certainly isn't exclusive to the south. Except, I feel that they walk the walk in the south more than they do in the PNW with the narratives that are often pontificated from the PNW.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-11-2022 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-11-2022, 03:54 PM

3,149 posts, read 2,205,379 times
Quote:
People in the Southeast look at you like an alien if you tell them you don’t go to church when they nosily ask you what church you go to. Cost of living is much lower though but if you’re not white or a member of a church, prepare to be ostracized socially. It’s not worth the money savings.
There have been numerous threads on this forum discussing the best places for Blacks and other non-white populations, and Southern metros including Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond and others are mentioned frequently for a variety of legitimate reasons. Judging from the number of people out shopping or exercising on Sunday mornings in this area and elsewhere, there is no shortage of folks who don't spend the traditional timeframe in church - and they often have active social lives as well. The reality of the Southeast in the 21st century is much more "normal" than many West Coast people would imagine.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:17 PM

817 posts, read 626,597 times
Not a fan of the conservative culture in the southeast but I would live there over the PNW a thousand times over. The southeast has great weather and the people there are more normal. Lower COL is another huge advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.