Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times

Advertisements

NYC
LA
Chicago
Dallas
Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 04:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Boston
Atlanta
Kansas City (or St Louis)
Phoenix
Seattle

NYC and LA may be fun to visit, but I don’t think they would paint an accurate picture of how average Americans live.

Last edited by southernnaturelover; 11-25-2018 at 05:07 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 04:47 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
I've always thought at least 1 or 2 smaller cities would be a good addition. Most Americans live in urban areas, but many of those urban areas are small and medium sized cities. Cities like Des Moines, Grand Rapids, Bloomington, Chapel Hill/Raleigh, Boise, Birmingham, Chattanooga etc are good representation of smaller city living.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Good topic and good question

I'll say these 5--tough choice though:

1) Denver, CO: Wide open western views, rocky mountain views, dynamic growing city with a strong history of the cowboy and gateway to the west.

2) Indianapolis, IN: Great midwestern, middle sized yet bigger city. Not too rough, not too safe, not too diverse, not too cultured, not uncultured, good middle of the road experience.

3) Birmingham, AL: Southern style on display in a mid-sized city.

4) Pittsburgh, PA: Northeastern historical manufacturing/steel city that helped build the US. Dynamic, digital city that is becoming diverse. Good lower key city.

5) San Diego, CA: California style right by the dynamic and beautiful Pacific Ocean. Big city, but not LA or San Fran proportions. Good city to see that is less bustling yet growing. Good Cali culture.

Also, I'd say they should add in 5 national parks on this trip--and it should be a road trip between the cities for like 2 weeks-3 weeks if they could.

I'd add in Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Hot Springs.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:23 AM

587 posts, read 423,957 times
Chicago
NYC
Atlanta
SF
Denver

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Detroit - The best example of a fallen U.S. city that more or less tells the story of the American Midwest and provides an understanding of the factors that produced a President Donald Trump
What! The Midwest has around 67,000,000 people in it and the city of Detroit is on the far extreme of places people in the Midwest live. Most live in normal suburbia or smaller towns and cities which are fairly replicated all over the country.

Old 11-26-2018, 11:34 AM

915 posts, read 1,505,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
What! The Midwest has around 67,000,000 people in it and the city of Detroit is on the far extreme of places people in the Midwest live. Most live in normal suburbia or smaller towns and cities which are fairly replicated all over the country.

It's not like Detroiters live in the Arctic Circle. I get that we can brag that we live "north" of Canada, but we live close to Windsor, not the Yukon or the Northwest Territory. (Geography is odd sometimes!)

Yes, I'll grant that we are extremely north of a lot of Midwesterners, but 94 goes right into Detroit, just like it goes right into Chicago. 94 also does a nice job of linking up Milwaukee and Minneapolis. So, does that make Chicago kind of fringe too?

Detroit is 4 hours away from Toronto. 5 hours away from Chicago. 4 hours away from Cincinnati. It takes about an hour to get to I-80, depending where you start out from.

Now, if you wanted to make the same argument, you could use maybe Green Bay or Minneapolis or even the UP.......but Detroit and Southern lower Michigan, still very suburban and populated with small towns that are "easily replicated across the rest of America."

There's really not much of a difference in that culture until you get up towards Mt. Pleasant or other areas of Northern Michigan - when it really starts turning into "Up North" or "the boonies" or "hicksville USA" or "damn - where'd my cell phone signal go?".

That culture is more in line with areas of Minnesota or Wisconsin which also are on the fringes of for being Midwestern States. Once you get out of Milwaukee, there's just a whole lot of nothing unless you are heading back south to Chicago. Minneapolis/St. Paul is kind of the same way. There's the city, but once you are out of it, then you are definitely in the country and there's nothing but trees.

So,no need to pick on just Detroit in this instance.

Old 11-26-2018, 12:43 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I didn't mean to say there aren't parts of the Midwest that are thriving. My point was that if you're coming to this country from abroad, and you want to understand the current social and political climate of the United States, you'd do well to visit the foremost example of the decline of the American middle class and global manufacturing dominance. That's the Midwest generally and Detroit specifically, though you could substitute it for Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland, Gary, Flint, or any number of Midwestern cities.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:42 PM

839 posts, read 735,278 times
Phoenix, AZ for its urban sprawl and car dependency

St. Louis, MO and Baltimore, MD for its crime rate

Birmingham, AL for its racial tension

Detroit, MI for its urban decay

Old 11-26-2018, 02:00 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,280,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovelondon View Post
Phoenix, AZ for its urban sprawl and car dependency

St. Louis, MO and Baltimore, MD for its crime rate

Birmingham, AL for its racial tension

Detroit, MI for its urban decay

LOL Somebody does not like the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.