Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2018, 10:21 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times

Advertisements

I can only pick from the cities I have actually stayed at least overnight in, so this is probably not a great list at all, but I would pick:

Los Angeles
Green Bay, WI
Lincoln, Nebraska
Montgomery, AL
Portland, Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 12:29 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Boston, MA (East Coast rep)

Charlotte, NC (South rep)

Columbia, MO (Midwest rep)

Colorado Springs, CO (Mountain West rep)

Bakersfield, CA (West Coast rep)

Old 11-30-2018, 12:41 PM

3,733 posts, read 2,884,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Boston, MA (East Coast rep)

Charlotte, NC (South rep)

Columbia, MO (Midwest rep)

Colorado Springs, CO (Mountain West rep)

Bakersfield, CA (West Coast rep)
Yes, I'm sure visiting these cities would give them the best trip ever! I mean, Bakersfield...fun. What a great impression they'd have of California!!

Old 11-30-2018, 01:13 PM

235 posts, read 330,869 times
Charlotte
Boston
Milwaukee
Denver
Phoenix or LA

Old 11-30-2018, 02:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,859,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Yes, I'm sure visiting these cities would give them the best trip ever! I mean, Bakersfield...fun. What a great impression they'd have of California!!
I think the OP asked to list cities that provided an "authentic understanding" and "accurate representation" of life in the USA as unexciting as that might seem by some of the cities on the list.

Old 11-30-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
I think the OP asked to list cities that provided an "authentic understanding" and "accurate representation" of life in the USA as unexciting as that might seem by some of the cities on the list.
Really, Bakersfield should represent the west coast?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:30 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
How I would divide the US is
Northeast
Southeast
Midwest
Mountain West
West Coast

Old 11-30-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
How I would divide the US is
Northeast
Southeast
Midwest
Mountain West
West Coast
Well, that leaves out Texas and Oklahoma.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:29 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
Well, that leaves out Texas and Oklahoma.
And Southwest to throw a bone for OK, TX, NM and AZ. I know Texas and especially Oklahoma doesn't really identify with the Southwest but they do have a lot of western traits despite being apart of the bible-belt.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:53 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Any list, IMO, should have more of a eastern-southern bias since 60% of the country's population lives east of the Mississippi and roughly 33% in the Southern U.S. I chose Ft. Worth because it straddles southern/western cultural lines and also has a large Hispanic population. I chose KC because it straddles the South, the Midwest and the Great Plains. Wilkes-Barre captures the post-industrial Northeast while sharing some cultural similarities to the Coast and Mid-Atlantic. Lansing, I thought, would be run of the mill Upper Midwestern suburbia.

It's extremely difficult to say what is "typical" America because it's such a big country. I thought about including a city from the West Coast or PNW, but many are so demographically different from the rest of the country. Maybe Denver would be a better choice over KC since you'd be picking up more western influence but also the Plains.

What are your 5?
Oh, you had to ask! I don't know how to "best" represent the US. Most of us live in urban areas as defined by the census bureau, that is, cities and their suburbs. I think suburban is more representative than the cities in that most people in an urban area live in the burbs.

So, maybe . . .
Suburban DC, e.g. this Crystal City where Amazon is going in
Suburban Chicago-Naperville which is often named on of American's "best places".
Suburban Denver-of course, my suburb, Louisville, Colorado. (Has also been ranked #1 several times by "Money" magazine)
Some Texas city/suburb
Suburban LA. I'm not real familiar with its burbs except for Pasadena, and that's pretty upscale.

Five isn't very many for the whole US. Ten would probably be easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.