Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Phoenix, Albuquerque, El Paso, and Santa Fe are southwestern. Dallas is not. Not even close.
I came up with my list with the perspective of a foreigner who's never been in the US in mind. So I intentionally picked cities big/influential that people internationally are somewhat familiar with them.

While those cities may be more quintessentially southwestern, they're not as prominent as Dallas (which is the only 1 of 2 major cities that comes closest to having ties with the cattle ranching culture in that region)

I thought about selecting Phoenix since it's pretty big population-wise, but from a socio-economic standpoint, it's still a level below Dallas.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-01-2019 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 07:17 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Phoenix, Albuquerque, El Paso, and Santa Fe are southwestern. Dallas is not. Not even close.
Agreed.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I came up with my list with the perspective of a foreigner who's never been in the US in mind. So I intentionally picked cities big/influential that people internationally are somewhat familiar with them that

While those cities may be more quintessentially southwestern, they're not as prominent as Dallas (which is the only 1 of 2 major cities that comes closest to having ties with the cattle ranching culture in that region)

I thought about selecting Phoenix since it's pretty big population-wise, but from a socio-economic standpoint, it's still a level below Dallas.
Dallas is southern. You've got Atlanta on your list. No, they're not exactly the same, but they're not all that different, either.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:40 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Dallas is southern. You've got Atlanta on your list. No, they're not exactly the same, but they're not all that different, either.
We'll agree to disagree.

I stand by the list I posted and my explanation behind it.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:19 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
We'll agree to disagree.

I stand by the list I posted and my explanation behind it.
You can stand by it all you want, but your assertion that Dallas has a "southwestern lifestyle and culture" (your words) is absolutely and unequivocally wrong. Have you ever been to Dallas and ANY of the cities I mentioned? My guess is no because if you had you'd immediately realize how far off you are.

Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 PM

52 posts, read 36,062 times
#1 Washington D.C of course,it's the nation's capital
#2 New York City of course
#3 Los Angeles of course
#4 Chicago
#5 San Francisco

[ And the South as a whole is worth visiting as well ]

Old 01-01-2019, 09:35 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,883,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
If we could name 10 cities, or maybe even 8, I'd go for Boston and NYC. Since we can only do 5, take out one of them. Ditto Miami/New Orleans. Add a mountain states city-Boise, Salt Lake, Denver.
NYC doesn't have the historical displays that Boston or Philly has.

New Orleans doesn't have the Latino influence that Miami has and Miami is not southern in character or accent.

I think a city like Boise is well represented by LA or SF.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
NYC doesn't have the historical displays that Boston or Philly has.

New Orleans doesn't have the Latino influence that Miami has and Miami is not southern in character or accent.

I think a city like Boise is well represented by LA or SF.
So take NYC out.

I would guess you've been to none of them.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
I came up with my list with the perspective of a foreigner who's never been in the US in mind. So I intentionally picked cities big/influential that people internationally are somewhat familiar with them.

If you're going to say "Dallas" because of the area's ties with cattle ranching, at least say Fort Worth. Which is a really cool city.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:59 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyguitar View Post
Atlanta does not represent the US at all, lived here for a while and even went to high school here. High gay and feminist population, high black population (only 13% of America is black), a lot of strictly religious folks in the suburbs and a lot of suburbs meant for each immigrant group.

I'd say the best cities that represent the US are midwestern cities because they represent a lot of people from flyover country.
All of those groups in Atlanta have had substantial impacts on the cultural and physical landscape of America, particularly within the context of the American South. I'm not saying that Atlanta has to be included in the five cities, but that's certainly enough reason to include it. Furthermore, major cities will generally have higher populations of minority groups compared to the nation as a whole; that's not unique to Atlanta.

Selecting five cities from the same region of the country wouldn't be representative of America as a whole at all.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 01-02-2019 at 07:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.