Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,244 times

Advertisements

I always shake my head at people who take those red double decker bus’s here in San Francisco. Unless you’re injuried or very elderly then I don’t see why people don’t just explore on their own. There’s a certain enjoyment about it.

I’m posting this thread because my east coast family in law is visiting and I see them on the red tourist bus to get around and only that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
I think they're great if:

-You're new to a city and need an overview to get your bearings.
-You have a limited amount of time in the city.

I especially like the Hop On-Hop Off buses where you get a day pass and can jump off and on the bus as desired. It combines a tour with transportation around the city.

https://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/

Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
Never in my life.

But I don't mind them. Seattle isn't so overrun that they're annoying yet. I'm still at the stage of being flattered that people want to come here.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
I love them. I don't like trying to coordinate a group of friends to go do sight seeing, etc. It's like herding cats. But, I do like having company when I go sight seeing.

For me, the perfect answer is to sign up for a bus tour or day trip. I don't have to organize anyone, or coordinate anyone else's schedules. I just sign up. I show up on time, and someone else does the driving and figures out parking, someone else figures out lunch, I get a tour guide, and there are like-minded people to chat with, and I feel safe and have company.

I really enjoy this type of experience. Hanging out with new people, and I don't have to deal with organizing any of it. I just check the box for which lunch I want, show up at the bus, find my seat and have a great time.

I usually sign up for a day trip that leaves locally (the San Jose area), where I can easily park for free, and then get on a bus that goes to SF or wherever, even if we end up getting on another tour bus in the city. I just love the convenience of it and I'm happy spending the day with stranger tourists. Sometimes they're easier to spend the day with than friends, when you just want to be a tourist, and not have to negotiate every little minute detail. :-)

Old 12-20-2018, 10:13 PM

16,091 posts, read 10,757,764 times
I will take a hop on/off bus on the first day I'm in a large strange city if I'll be there a few days. I get some idea of places and sights and neighborhoods. I can go back if I want when I see something that really interests me. I don't know why someone would be annoyed...those folks bring money and spend it.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:46 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,244,554 times
Not big into that stuff generally but took the "Sound of Music" bus tour in Salzburg a few months ago and it was great fun.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:00 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Never in my life.

But I don't mind them. Seattle isn't so overrun that they're annoying yet. I'm still at the stage of being flattered that people want to come here.
When in Seattle, the Duck is the way to go!

https://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
Not big into that stuff generally but took the "Sound of Music" bus tour in Salzburg a few months ago and it was great fun.
I thought that was a blast, too!

Old 12-21-2018, 08:30 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
There are many different types of people and there are many different ways of seeing a city. Some people simply aren't adventurous enough, or don't want the hassle, of trying to figure out what's worth seeing and how to get there. They'd rather relax and let someone else handle the logistics. Tour buses are ideal for people like that.

In general, I'm not afraid to figure my way around a new city. But there have been times, especially when I'm shepherding my kids, that the ease and convenience of a tour bus outweighs the limitations of its fixed schedule (less of a concern with a hop-on hop-off service) and fixed itinerary. This is especially true if I don't have a specific attraction in mind, and just want to see some of the city's highlights. So yes, I've used tour buses sometimes. And much more often than not, I've had good experiences with them.

Old 12-21-2018, 08:59 AM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
When in Seattle, the Duck is the way to go!

https://www.ridetheducksofseattle.com/

My mother loved the duck boat ride in Philadelphia. Well, my son and I did, too. She lived in England during WWII and found it quite interesting that the old DUKWs were being used for tours.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:27 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,696,594 times
No, they don't annoy me. I love seeing them in my home town. I have taken them in European cities when our kids were smaller. It can be a pain in the butt getting kids around. Now that they are older we don't use them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.