Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:22 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times

Advertisements

Michigan: Geography (natural borders)
Florida: Geography (natural borders)

New Mexico: Distinct and unique

Texas: Size

California: Size and distinct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 11:12 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,522,377 times
Pennsylvania. It borders the South and the Midwest, and because of this, feels distinct from the rest of the Northeast.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:40 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Michigan: Geography (natural borders)
Florida: Geography (natural borders)

New Mexico: Distinct and unique

Texas: Size

California: Size and distinct
Texas is distinct too.

Old 05-10-2019, 02:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Within the 13 colonies, Maryland, Virginia and NC have a lot of in-state divisions and differences. Virginia outside the DC area is actually very similar to NC. Pennsylvania also has clear divides between southeast PA and the rest of the state.

But despite in-state differences, West Virginia definitely has a cohesive identity and geographically the entire state looks quite similar, in the Appalachian Mountains. Of all the states WV has less geographical diversity within the state though its beautiful throughout.

Louisiana has many distinct cultural areas, and not the entire state was even part of the Louisiana Purchase and different parts were initially settled by different groups.

Old 05-10-2019, 05:36 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,829,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Virginia
Texas
Pennsylvania
Maine
California
Ohio
Maybe Florida and Arizona
Interesting how each of us have our own perceptions. Mine places Ohio in the other end of the spectrum, right up there with Missouri....

Cleveland is the most eastern like of midwestern cities and the one that most seems like a transition from midwest to northeast. A product of the northeast in the form of CT's western reserve

South West Ohio: Appalachia, far more like most of Pennsylvania that metro Philly is

Ohio River: border land between North and South, heavily settled by the first wave of immigration after the Revolutionary War where the Ohio was used as the route largely by Virginians to reach the west. The far southern ends of Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois definitely are caught between two regions. Downtown Cincinnati is less than a mile from a former slave state.

Lake Erie: Industrial Ohio, rust belt (obviously Cleveland is in this category, too)

Northwest Ohio: the most midwestern part of the state, fits in nicely with neighboring Michigan (don't tell that to a Buckeye) and Indiana. Farm country.

Mid-Ohio: Focus here in Columbus: middle America, statistical America, part of the post WWII America in the sense of how it came of age than any midwestern city short of Indy with an economy probably more akin to Charlotte or Dallas than it is to Cleveland or Detroit.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
This seems inclusive of states with the best brands.

I'm gonna throw TN in the bunch. Even Memphis/west Tennessee, which seems the 'odd man out' to a degree, fits in with the overall culture and ethos of the state.

I think MS also qualifies with so much of the state being Delta/Delta-adjacent.
I literally simply forgot to mention Louisiana, but I agree with another poster on that. I almost, almost mentioned Tennessee as a unique state with "it's own vibe."

Just my perspective - and I have never lived in Mississippi (it's one of the few southern states I haven't lived in) - Mississippi seems like Alabama and vice versa to me.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:34 AM

964 posts, read 723,785 times
Interesting topic. I would respectfully disagree that places like Texas and California would fit here, as they are simply much too large to share a distinct culture. For example, Redding, CA likely shares much more in common with Oregon than LA or San Diego. The Central Valley feels worlds away from the Bay Area (even though geographically it's not.) After living 10 years in Dallas, I marveled at how different parts of the state felt. El Paso is gepgraphically closer to LA than Texarkana. The southeastern part of the state feels like the deep south, while west Texas is ranchlands and desert scrub and feels more southwestern to me.

I think Vermont fits this description pretty well (uniformly mountainous, with more live-and-let-live yankee values & liberalism), as does NJ which is mostly suburban (with half the lower half of the state associating with Philly & northern half NYC.) You could probably make an argument for other NE states, but feels a bit like cheating since they are obviously smaller and therefore higher likelihood to share a culture.

Utah probably fits here as it is loosely affiliated with the Mormon church (and the more restrictive laws like lower ABV beer, etc.) I think Louisiana as well with the franco-cajun culture there.

But hard to think of too many other large states where this would be the case.

Vermont
New Jersey
Utah
Louisiana

Old 05-10-2019, 08:24 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,888,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I don't think Wisconsin and Illinois are distinct enough to qualify (if I were to add another Midwest state it'd be Michigan because of the UP). But it's true that the south/east and north/west Wisconsin accents are different and people often don't realize this - the former is more like the rest of the Great Lakes area and the latter is more like Minnesota.
LOL, I've lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and I couldn't begin to see why you would choose Minnesota (except that you post on Minnesota, often). Wisconsin has a MUCH more distinct identity than does Minnesota.

Old 05-10-2019, 08:54 AM

6,792 posts, read 4,236,377 times
Either all of them are or none of them are. America overall has a very homogenized culture and most Americans live in some form of the same generic sprawltopia (just look at how generic and cookie cutter all the walkable, urbanist developments with apartments or condos look, looks the same in Seattle or Atlanta or Chicago).

Old 05-10-2019, 09:42 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
LOL, I've lived in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and I couldn't begin to see why you would choose Minnesota (except that you post on Minnesota, often). Wisconsin has a MUCH more distinct identity than does Minnesota.

Southern Minnesota, sure. Northern Minnesota does stand out as there's less farmland, and more mining, logging, and tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.