Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 AM

1,825 posts, read 1,420,699 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of cities in the US that have a lot of trendy suburbs or bordering cities. By that I mean suburbs where people go to hang out for nightlife, that have cool art scenes, are that are a destination for citizens and visitors. For example some cities that DO have them:

LA - Santa Monica, West Hollywood.

Miami - Miami Beach

San Francisco - Oakland

Phoenix - Scottsdale

However, when you look at a city like Chicago, it really has no trendy or hip suburbs or neighboring cities. The closest would be Evanston or Oak Park, and they are very nice suburbs with things to do, but most people would not consider them hip, trendy or cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 AM

3,733 posts, read 2,891,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frimpter928 View Post
There are a lot of cities in the US that have a lot of trendy suburbs or bordering cities. By that I mean suburbs where people go to hang out for nightlife, that have cool art scenes, are that are a destination for citizens and visitors. For example some cities that DO have them:

LA - Santa Monica, West Hollywood.

Miami - Miami Beach

San Francisco - Oakland

Phoenix - Scottsdale

However, when you look at a city like Chicago, it really has no trendy or hip suburbs or neighboring cities. The closest would be Evanston or Oak Park, and they are very nice suburbs with things to do, but most people would not consider them hip, trendy or cool.
But Oakland is trendy and cool? LOL If you don't think Chicago has some cool suburbs, you don't know Chicago very well.

Last edited by Enean; 05-13-2019 at 09:59 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 09:55 AM

142 posts, read 93,548 times
I think Arlington for DC and Hoboken for NYC would count.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:21 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enean View Post
But Oakland is trendy and cool? LOL If you don't think Chicago has some cool suburbs, you don't know Chicago very well.
Oakland is trendy and cool. Is that even a question?.

Baltimore has no cool or trendy suburbs bordering it

Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,771,334 times
For Boston you'd have to consider Cambridge.
For Detroit, you could look at Royal Oak.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:22 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Cambridge, Somerville and Brookline for Boston.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:31 AM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
As for Chicago, Evanston actually has a lot going on. I'm not an expert to say if it's "trendy," but it has a large university, it's very urban, it has direct L access, and it has its own beaches. My one time there it seemed pretty cool and Northwestern's prestige and size gave a lot of youth and international vibes to the sizable downtown area.

For NYC, it's definitely Hoboken and Jersey City.
For LA, I'd also add Pasadena, Culver City, Long Beach, Manhattan Beach, and Hermosa Beach.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:34 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Wait someone help me out here. Are we doing cities WITH adjacent trendy suburbs, or cities WITHOUT them? The thread title/OP seem to suggest one thing, the thread responses another. I am also open to the idea that it is Monday and I am not reading things correctly after a Chardonnay heavy weekend.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:48 AM

967 posts, read 725,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Wait someone help me out here. Are we doing cities WITH adjacent trendy suburbs, or cities WITHOUT them? The thread title/OP seem to suggest one thing, the thread responses another. I am also open to the idea that it is Monday and I am not reading things correctly after a Chardonnay heavy weekend.
In that case, the other major city that I have lived in, Dallas, does not have any trendy suburbs. I don't consider Highland Park trendy (just extremely wealthy to the point of stuffiness) and Addison is definitely not trendy despite the numerous bars.

All trendy areas are contained within the city-limits of Dallas, which are admittedly quite expansive.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:50 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Oklahoma City. But OKC doesn't really have anywhere cool, hip, or trendy in the "city" either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.