Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:14 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Mine would involve a lot of travel rather than a specific place to live.
That is my answer too. If money were no object, then I would travel and stay in many different places.

But, of course, money is always an object.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:24 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Spring / The Southern Appalachians, from Alabama to Virginia

Summer / Oregon or the San Juan Islands

Fall / New England

Winter / Virgin Islands

Old 06-03-2019, 08:24 AM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
A house in a village on the Channel coast in south England "within a walk of the sea," to quote Belloc. Preferably within cycling distance of a train station with a direct train to London, and a flat in Piccadilly.

That, or Hilton Head Island or Jekyll Island. With an apartment within a morning's drive inland for hurricane season.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:23 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
A farm west of Minneapolis. Honestly, I don't really care for "retirement." My SO can retire early (military) but me... for my career field there's not really a retirement age. As long as I can still write. My great grandfather died at age 89, feeding his hogs. He was a farmer til the day he died. Only weak part of that man's body was his heart, and that was in terms of heart failure, because otherwise he was a loving man who worked hard and loved his family. That's how I wanna spend the last few decades of my life. Out on the land.

Last edited by Pincho-toot; 06-03-2019 at 10:02 AM..

Old 06-04-2019, 07:43 PM

446 posts, read 396,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
A farm west of Minneapolis. Honestly, I don't really care for "retirement." My SO can retire early (military) but me... for my career field there's not really a retirement age. As long as I can still write. My great grandfather died at age 89, feeding his hogs. He was a farmer til the day he died. Only weak part of that man's body was his heart, and that was in terms of heart failure, because otherwise he was a loving man who worked hard and loved his family. That's how I wanna spend the last few decades of my life. Out on the land.
You just put into words exactly what I have been feeling about a prospective move I have been indecisive about. It's nice when someone can clearly express something someone else is just feeling but hasn't been able to say it forthrightly -- even to themselves. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:49 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,519,579 times
I have money, but wouldn't want to live anywhere where I'm unnecessarily handing out dough in some high named place when I can get the same or better lifestyle in a less expensive area. Too, I wouldn't want to be be far from our children and grandchildren. Fortunately, my wife and I love where we live (Charlotte area), our 4 young adult children and 2 grandchildren are in the area as well, and we plan on never leaving.

Now, if family wasn't an issue and we didn't like where we live now, we would probably choose somewhere in the Charleston, SC area or the Tampa Bay area

Old 06-07-2019, 01:42 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,250,585 times
San Diego, hands down. Warm year round, without the super-hot humidity of most of the country in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.