Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:53 PM

9 posts, read 8,713 times

Advertisements

Hello, all!

I've lived in California all my life and love it, but as many others have found, the affordability is not great here. So I'm playing around with other places to move to in the future. What cities would you suggest for me?

-28-year-old male
-Unmarried, no kids, but definitely want to have a family within the next 5 years
-Independent school teacher (elementary currently but have also taught middle school English), cities with a decent number of high-quality independent schools would be great
-Republican
-Love old, historic architecture (Gothic, Victorian, Tudor Revival...)
-Coffee shop addict
-Love spending time outdoors, fishing, hiking, camping
-Theater buff
-Enjoys living by water of some kind
-Big or medium city OR small town is fine, as long as it fits most of my criteria
-Weather: I like a distinct autumn and spring for sure. Autumn is my favorite season, and a city that boasts a colorful autumn is definitely a plus. Light snow is fine; dry heat is fine; rainy weather is fine. But I would like to avoid extremes of cold and humidity. (However, if it's only humid during the summer months, that's fine.)

Any cities you would recommend? So far, I'm considering Portland, Eugene, Seattle, Savannah (too humid?), Asheville, and Annapolis, but my list is growing every day, so I'd love suggestions! Thank you.

Last edited by Flambeau; 06-14-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 12:57 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
If you're a republican you probably wouldn't like the major cities in the PNW that you mention but they fit all the other points you bring up. I was stationed an hour from Savannah, GA for a couple years and yeah it's VERY hot and humid...uncomfortably so at least for me.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:03 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
In addition to what you have mentioned, I would recommend suburban north DFW.

Professionally I would recommend anything outside of Chicago like Naperville and Oak Park. But the weather...

Raleigh or Cary North Carolina should be a good choice as well.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:41 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,035,429 times
I an assuming your career is locationally flexible, which opens up a lot of small towns. Astoria comes to mind given how your like water and outdoors. It does rain A LOT. I could probably do it, but I am nuts. How much is too much rain for you?

Old 06-14-2019, 02:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,737,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I an assuming your career is locationally flexible, which opens up a lot of small towns. Astoria comes to mind given how your like water and outdoors. It does rain A LOT. I could probably do it, but I am nuts. How much is too much rain for you?
To put it into perspective, Astoria rains on average ~191 days a year
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astoria,_Oregon#Climate

Old 06-15-2019, 11:52 PM

585 posts, read 362,423 times
May I suggest:

Providence, RI
Portsmouth, NH
Portland, ME
(Fall foliage, large body of water)

Hampton Roads area (Norfolk/Newport News, Virginia Beach), VA
(A bit warmer)

Boise, ID
Salt Lake City, UT
(Closer to your region of choice)

Last edited by DFWAg; 06-16-2019 at 12:06 AM..

Old 06-16-2019, 01:09 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeau View Post
Hello, all!

I've lived in California all my life and love it, but as many others have found, the affordability is not great here. So I'm playing around with other places to move to in the future. What cities would you suggest for me?

-28-year-old male
-Unmarried, no kids, but definitely want to have a family within the next 5 years
-Independent school teacher (elementary currently but have also taught middle school English), cities with a decent number of high-quality independent schools would be great
-Republican
-Coffee shop addict
-Theater buff
-Big or medium city OR small town is fine, as long as it fits most of my criteria
-Weather: I like a distinct autumn and spring for sure. Autumn is my favorite season, and a city that boasts a colorful autumn is definitely a plus. Light snow is fine; dry heat is fine; rainy weather is fine. But I would like to avoid extremes of cold and humidity. (However, if it's only humid during the summer months, that's fine.)

Any cities you would recommend? So far, I'm considering Portland, Eugene, Seattle, Savannah (too humid?), Asheville, and Annapolis, but my list is growing every day, so I'd love suggestions! Thank you.
It sounds like NC, eastern TN, VA, and northern GA is right up your alley. Fall is gorgeous in that part of the country (inland mid-Atlantic), weather isn't too extreme hot or cold any which way, and you say you're Republican, which is perfect because overall, this is a fairly Republican region of the southeast.

TN specifically here might be the winner, especially in terms of affordability. Nashville or Chattanooga might be the way to go.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,011 times
You could throw Louisville in the mix as well.

It boasts the largest Victorian neighborhood in the US (with nearby New Albany also having a lot of these homes). It fits most your other criteria as well. Plus being super affordable for all the amenities is a nice addition. Plenty of museums, some theaters, great parks, lakes, hiking, camping spots, etc... And you're within an easy drive to a lot of other great cities like Nashville, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Chicago, and many more.

The only negatives is the heat/humidity in the summer, but Spring/Fall are great and Winters are mild. So.Indiana right on the other side of the river is great as well, and a little cheaper if that's of interest. Jeffersonville & New Albany would have the homes, coffee shops, etc...you're looking for while still being less than 10 minutes to downtown Louisville.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
If you can handle the winter (and I believe you can) you should look into Grand Rapids, MI.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:26 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambeau View Post
Hello, all!

-28-year-old male
-Republican
-Coffee shop addict
-Theater buff

Is cost of living a consideration? Charlotte, Atlanta, and Nashville are good, but would be pushing the limits of the humidity. It's not super high, but might be too high for you.

I really try to stay away from the political aspects of choosing an area, because I think most people will do ok in any place as long as they're not jerks. BUT, for someone who is Republican or Conservative, I wouldn't suggest Portland, OR. I use to love visiting Portland for decades. But I've gone twice over the last year and plan on not going back. There's a level of unprovoked hostility there towards non-liberals that I've never seen any place. It was unreal. My wife and I lived in the Boston area for a year and a half and, as Conservatives, had no issues. The people were great. But Antifa has a big, open presence in Portland unabated and if they know you're Conservative, they will attack you verbally and possibly physically. I saw it with my own eyes. I nearly experienced it when one who saw my Carolina Tarheels shirt started calling me a racist/nazi/etc., until a manager at that restaurant made them leave (a man and woman). We didn't feel safe and will not be going back. Too, they have some of the same homelessness/tent city, human poop/urine problems that the Bay Area has. I know I'll catch some flack from some C-Ders, but I would hate for you to end up in Portland and be like, Oh my God, what did I get myself into?"

I'd suggest Albuquerque. It's a great all round area with many of the things you mentioned. Good luck wherever you land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.