Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 08:35 AM

1,726 posts, read 1,723,995 times

Advertisements

I think most Americans would be surprised at the high degree of similarity between the culture and people of Northern Pennsylvania/Upstate New York/Western New England and Northern Ohio/Michigan/Northern Illinois/Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2019, 09:15 AM

1,250 posts, read 826,870 times
Bear in mind that the Eastern seaboard (north of the Outer Banks) and the Applachian Mountains both run more NE-SW than N-S. So geographically, the Northeast both starts and ends to the east of the South.

Bangor, Maine: 68.7712° W
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: 79.9959° W
Wilmington, North Carolina: 77.8868° W
Little Rock, Arkansas: 92.2896° W

Old 08-03-2019, 10:13 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,605,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I think most Americans would be surprised at the high degree of similarity between the culture and people of Northern Pennsylvania/Upstate New York/Western New England and Northern Ohio/Michigan/Northern Illinois/Wisconsin.
What's funny about that is that the accent changes once you cross the NY/PA border (in my experience)

Old 08-03-2019, 10:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Slavery is probably a major reason. I don't think the Southern states thought of themselves as all that similar until after the Civil War when they all suffered the same economic blow and national humiliation.
I think you are confusing the issue a bit. “Southern pride” probably coalesced strongest after the Civil War whereas before it was largely state pride, but the bond was already there. The states didn’t just accidentally secede all in a few months’ period. They had grown together over the previous 2 centuries and were very much working in coordination on the federal level in the decades before the war.

Beyond slavery and the economy, the divergence was fairly deep and wide. As early as the 1796 election, the country was split by two political movements whose fault line was roughly the Mason-Dixon Line. There was also a demographic difference as new immigrants found more plentiful jobs in the North, therefore keeping the South Scotch-Irish heritage stronger and longer than northern cousins. Similar food staples also were part of a shared bonding experience that wasn’t replicable from Boston to Philadelphia let alone to Columbus or Chicago.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:56 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,970,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The southeast would be the southern Atlantic coastal states. Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia...not to be confused with the traditional "South", of which it is a part. Since these states must conform to the southwest trend of the Atlantic coast, Atlanta is west of Detroit. Florida extends further westward along the Gulf (Panhandle) because it generally conforms to the boundaries of Spanish (and British) colonial East and West Florida and did not become a state until 1845. Alabama was already established as a state since 1819. The northeast mostly bumps into Canada.
This.

People who don’t know any better use south and southeast interchangeably. Arkansas and South Carolina are VERY different. They don’t share culture, architecture or history.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:25 PM

17,810 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This.

Arkansas and South Carolina are VERY different. They don’t share culture, architecture or history.
I'd disagree with this relative to their shared "plantation" culture and I'd say that upstate South Carolina has some similarities to western Arkansas.

Old 08-03-2019, 12:59 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I think a combination of population density and culture. To me, IL is less similar to NY than MS is to FL. Also, it should be noted that the northest extends further east than the southeast does, in other words, you are comparing different starting points, so judging how far west they go in not a fair comparison.

Lastly, for purposes of covering a certain general area, you want you population sizes to be as similar as possible. So if the US gov't needs to have a social security office in each region (just as an example), you want to have somewhat equal population service areas. Given the lower density of the Southeast, they needed to go further west.

Interesting... How so?

Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,224,030 times
I haven't watched it in while but several years ago I loved the documentary series "How the States Got their Shapes" which seems pertinents here. Link: https://www.history.com/shows/how-th...t-their-shapes

I was a political sciernce major witha minor in history, although ny emphasis was more on international relations. So I found this fascinating and humbling.

Old 08-03-2019, 09:56 PM

839 posts, read 735,749 times
Because the Northeast is bound by Canada?

Old 08-04-2019, 04:22 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,546,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I haven't watched it in while but several years ago I loved the documentary series "How the States Got their Shapes" which seems pertinents here. Link: https://www.history.com/shows/how-th...t-their-shapes

I was a political sciernce major witha minor in history, although ny emphasis was more on international relations. So I found this fascinating and humbling.
This is a great link! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.