Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Midwestern state feels the most Southern?
Kansas 2 1.23%
Missouri 125 76.69%
Illinois 4 2.45%
Indiana 26 15.95%
Ohio 6 3.68%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 12:46 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Ohio. The southern part of Ohio has more in common with the south than the northern states. It's basically Appalachia.
The Ohio counties that border the Ohio river from Clermont county to Huntington, WV (plus probably more) are classified as being in the Appalachian region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 10:12 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Missouri.

Then Indiana.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 PM

8,480 posts, read 4,724,709 times
I gotta say Indiana is most recognizably Southern, Missouri follows. They could even swap places and I’d not protest. Indiana feels more religious fundie, Missouri more culturally Southern.

Southern Ohio is a bit of the same, but it’s overall not a Southern state, and I’d in fact say it’s a nice blend of Midwest, Northeast, and South. It’s a sneaky upcoming fav place of mine that I have warmed up to a lot. ‘Cept for the snow, cold, and road salt.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:30 PM

72,979 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I voted Missouri. I base this on its history. The thing is, the South's history is based on alot of bad stuff, and Missouri just so happens to share those things. Missouri was the only Midwestern state that was admitted to the Union as a slave state. Missouri was disputed during the Civil War. It had two state governments, one loyal to the Union, and a Confederate government. Missouri, like the South, had some Jim Crow laws. School segregation was the law of the land.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:52 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Kansas is an option? Seriously? I would call Michigan southern before Kansas.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Kansas is an option? Seriously? I would call Michigan southern before Kansas.
It’s very traditional, so I can see a link, though I wouldn’t say it’s all that southern.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:59 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
It’s very traditional, so I can see a link, though I wouldn’t say it’s all that southern.
The far eastern part of the state, I could see. But the rest, no way. Although I'm in the crowd that's not 100% in agreement that Oklahoma and Texas are southern. At least, not entirely southern. The plains just aren't a trait of the south. And I associate cowboy boots more with the west, not the south.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
The far eastern part of the state, I could see. But the rest, no way. Although I'm in the crowd that's not 100% in agreement that Oklahoma and Texas are southern. At least, not entirely southern. The plains just aren't a trait of the south. And I associate cowboy boots more with the west, not the south.
My part of Texas is pretty darn Southern, but yeah, it’s majority a Southwest place. And its own niche of that.

Oklahoma actually has started to just feel more and more Southern as time goes on. Country stars, trucks, livestock, etc. Even OKC still shows a bit of Southern twang, though west of there it finally shifts to Midwest, IMHO.

I’m not going to say Kansas is Southern, but I can feel a few connections which also make that notion not crazy.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 AM

7,826 posts, read 2,724,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I voted Missouri. I base this on its history. The thing is, the South's history is based on alot of bad stuff, and Missouri just so happens to share those things. Missouri was the only Midwestern state that was admitted to the Union as a slave state. Missouri was disputed during the Civil War. It had two state governments, one loyal to the Union, and a Confederate government. Missouri, like the South, had some Jim Crow laws. School segregation was the law of the land.
Those are my views exactly...don't forget Missouri is one of the 13 stars in the Confederate Stars and Bars. The very southern portion of Missouri is actually in the south...it doesn't just feel like it...it is southern. And you nailed it....it's history is that of the south. It's unfortunate but the most defining historical characteristic of the south is the institution of slavery....not which states "officially" seceded and did not during the civil war. With that said...due to migration patterns...north of that very southern portion is what I would call midwestern in the truest since...although there is a pretty big transition area. The whole southern third of the state is either southern (mainly the counties along the s. border) or transitioning from southern to midwestern. Here is a youtube clip showcasing the dialect in Stockton MO which is about 60 miles north of Springfield (where this dialect is absent). I would consider these people southern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Ukm7e06VU

Last edited by JohnBoy64; 08-14-2019 at 10:36 AM..

Old 08-14-2019, 11:13 AM

17,778 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoy64 View Post
I would consider these people southern.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6Ukm7e06VU
Interesting video. I call that type of accent "southern light". That type of accent is pretty typical of Oklahoma, a lot of Oklahoma and southern Kansas.

Where I live that is really typical. However one thing about central and NW Oklahoma and probably that part of Missouri. If you hear a really steeped southern accent, it is very noticeable because it's not that common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.