Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 06:41 PM

597 posts, read 449,694 times

Advertisements

North Carolina. 4 distinct seasons, beautiful mountains, great coastline, good mix of cities, small towns, diverse populace.... proximity to places like Atlanta, DC.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:43 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Somebody please explain - Why does it matter that much where you live if you have the means to travel just about anywhere you want?
For me this had weight in my decision to move to Vermont. This place fits me well in what it offers for outdoor recreation, politically (rare combination of blue state and rural), lots of unique small towns with plenty of good food and attractions to offer, and nice scenery throughout the state. I'm a locavore and I love shopping farmers markets and co-ops and consuming as much locally produced food as possible. This state does very well with that. Burlington is big enough to take care of most weekly errands and shopping needs. I really can't be in a rat race environment on the daily and this state is far enough removed from that.

However I really do have to break away from this mold once in a while (at least once a season). I need to venture into a big city to recharge my batteries, take in the diversity and amenities, and do it enough to be stimulated but not too much to where it becomes a drain. This place is unique in that two of North America's finest metro areas are within arms reach with Montreal just over an hour away and Boston being 3-4 hours away. Also being near family in the Boston area makes this an easy to place to live for me. Sometimes I'll drive up to Montreal for a spontaneous day trip or just go shopping. If these two cities weren't as close (particularly Montreal being very close) then I'm not sure if this is where I'd want to be, but it's become a really nice option to have as it completes the whole picture.

After having lived out west twice and a good portion of my life in the Boston area, I think I've figured out what I really like at this point and could see myself putting down roots here. Perhaps for a permanent stay.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 08-14-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.