Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 06:16 PM

1,841 posts, read 1,489,523 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old guy, senior in college, living at home here in NJ, and working an $11 an hour part time job. My parents are toxic and my mom was freaking out and throwing tantrums, since my doctor still effed up on my lab results. He gave me the lab results from last year instead of this year. Every doctor (eyes, MD, or whatever) I go to here in NJ sucks and they always screw up my paperwork and then it sucks when I have to deal with my parents and their stupid tantrums. I am so fed up and tired of living under somebody else's bills and would like my own insurance. I am covered under my parents' Aetna health insurance. I Googled ways I can get free health insurance and I found Healthcare.gov (Thanks Obama). Is this illegal if I am covered under my parents' insurance while qualifying and receiving free healthcare? I don't want Aetna or the government contacting my parents saying I did something illegal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:12 AM

186 posts, read 283,017 times
Does the adult child have to purchase an individual policy?

No. Eligible adult children wishing to take advantage of the coverage up to age 26 will be included in the parents' family coverage.

Source:
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ebsa/ab...-adult-and-aca

Old 08-13-2019, 07:22 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Right but this doesn't mean adult children HAVE to be covered under their parents insurance. It is my understanding that it's optional.

OP, you will need to choose one way or the other though. You can't have or use both types of insurance. So if I were you I would check out healthcare.gov and see if you can truly qualify for no cost insurance on your own. If so, I'd give it a try, but you will have to tell your toxic parents that you have your own insurance and they need to remove you from theirs.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:58 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
It's perfectly legal for you to sign up for your own health insurance once you're over 18.

That said, while I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life and obviously I know nothing about the whole situation in your family, as an older 20-something, I merely advise that you think very carefully about this and not make any haste decisions.

In order to qualify for no-cost insurance, the government will want to verify your household income. If you're living at home and are dependent on your parents' income for much of your support (meaning shelter, utility bills, etc.), that will be taken into consideration and if they make too much money, you will not qualify.

Another thing to consider: I know you're thrilled to have your $11/hr part-time job for the independence you feel it gives you, but that money really doesn't go very far and the health insurance plans on the Obamacare marketplace are not cheap. Parents aren't perfect and I'm not excusing their behavior, but they obviously care enough about you to let you stay on their health insurance plan without having to come out of your own pocket for expenses. My suspicion is there's something much deeper going on with your health situation that you would prefer not to share with us (which is your prerogative, that's none of our business), because unless your parents are mentally unstable, they wouldn't "throw temper tantrums" over a seemingly intelligent young man that has a job and is going to school to try and make something of himself.

You're a senior in college and will soon be able to go out and find a job that pays well enough for you to support yourself without any assistance from your parents (and that company will likely offer you private health insurance coverage as part of the compensation package). You're only 21 and have at least a good half-century of life ahead of you. If I were in your position, I would suck it up just a little while longer, save as much money from the $11/hr part-time job as possible and then as soon as you find that full time salaried job after graduation within the next year, say "C'est La Vie" to your parents.

That's just my 2 cents.

Last edited by citidata18; 08-13-2019 at 08:08 AM..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:02 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
I am a 21 year old guy, senior in college, living at home here in NJ, and working an $11 an hour part time job. My parents are toxic and my mom was freaking out and throwing tantrums, since my doctor still effed up on my lab results. He gave me the lab results from last year instead of this year. Every doctor (eyes, MD, or whatever) I go to here in NJ sucks and they always screw up my paperwork and then it sucks when I have to deal with my parents and their stupid tantrums. I am so fed up and tired of living under somebody else's bills and would like my own insurance. I am covered under my parents' Aetna health insurance. I Googled ways I can get free health insurance and I found Healthcare.gov (Thanks Obama). Is this illegal if I am covered under my parents' insurance while qualifying and receiving free healthcare? I don't want Aetna or the government contacting my parents saying I did something illegal.
IMO stay under your parents. It's 'free' for you. Why would you want to pay for healthcare? It's not cheap.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
I deal with this a lot for work. The answer is yes, you can enroll. However, since you are offered insurance through another means (presumably through the employer of either your mother or father) presuming you don't file your own taxes and are claimed as a dependent you would get no premium subsidies and have to pay for the entire cost out of pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.