Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:58 AM

1,044 posts, read 688,004 times

Advertisements

Doh! I was wrong about Hartford. I didn't realize that Stamfort had surpassed it in population.

However, as far as metro areas, the Hartford area is number one as far as economy and jobs in CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 12:18 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,960,608 times
For South Carolina. Charleston recently passed Columbia in city population (it may go back and forth for years to come) due to strict annexation laws in the state. However, Columbia's metro area is larger than Charleston's and usually gets eclipsed outside of the state in popularity. Guess the same can be said about Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head Island.

Old 12-09-2019, 12:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,409,505 times
Cleveland and Columbus in terms of metro population, and those trends don't appear to be changing.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:20 PM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times
Not #1 and #2 but in CA I would not say #2 San Diego outshines # 4 San Francisco.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:22 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Cleveland or Cincy over Columbus, Miami over Jacksonville the obvious ones.

This will draw fire but sorry, plenty of history to back this up-Pittsburgh over Philadelphia.

There's also a sub-category to this.

Though absolutely no metrics support it, I"m sure you can find plenty of people to tell you that Tucson is a "better city" than Phoenix, same for Madison and Milwaukee.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:39 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,300,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Not #1 and #2 but in CA I would not say #2 San Diego outshines # 3 San Francisco.
I was going to do a thread about this but it would have gotten drowned out in a sea of "San Francisco is really a city of 9 million people lol ur crazy" creative citydata group-think.

Much of my SD posting is critical, but I would take the SD side in that poll. The crux of it being a point that never gets brought up-compare the ocean side of SD with the ocean side of SF. If north/central SF makes downtown/uptown SD look suburban, well the beach side of SD makes the beach side of SF look like a deserted ghost town. So that kind of stuff can go both ways.

I would also argue that Tijuana is as or more integrated into metro SD as Oakland is with metro SF with the volume of border crossings taken into account. So, to borrow a page from the SF-booster playbook, San Diego is really a bi-national metro of about 5.5 million. Not a slam dunk argument, but its there.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:21 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,949,114 times
Cleveland easily outshines Columbus in the pro sports category (3 teams vs 1 team) but Columbus has Ohio State.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:35 PM

264 posts, read 250,755 times
So from pulling up a list of city proper populations...

Connecticut: New Haven over Bridgeport

Florida: Miami over Jacksonville

Kansas: Overland Park over Wichita <<< I don't know about this one so I'm bringing it up for discussion. Overland Park is a booming suburb with a strong economy and generally regarded as a very desirable place to live nationally but is that enough for it to overshadow Wichita?

Missouri: St. Louis over KC

Ohio: Cleveland and also Cincy over Columbus. It's just national recognition but not necessarily economy based. Having pro sports teams contributes to that.

That's really it pulling up the wikipedia list.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:05 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post

This will draw fire but sorry, plenty of history to back this up-Pittsburgh over Philadelphia.
Sorry, but no. With Philadelphia's big revival in the 21st Century, this is especially not true. That doesn't mean Pittsburgh is weak though....

Old 12-09-2019, 04:10 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Dallas over Houston.

It has a larger GDP, and it’s safe to say it’s probably recognized more due to movies and TV set there, and the NFL’s Cowboys. Not to mention having all four pro sports teams vs three for Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.