Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 12:32 PM

216 posts, read 564,260 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are New Englanders (if their is such a term) through and through. We love the 4 seasons, the fall foliage, the winter snow, the history, and the small towns. We were both born and raised here, only leaving for a few years throughout our lifetime. What is unfortunate is that we feel we must move on because of the politics, policies, taxes, bad schools, of our state and our area. At one time, Northern New England was a safety net for Conservatives, but that is rapidly changing. It is so time to go!

We have lived briefly in the south, and have no plans to return. The people were nice, and more to our thinking and beliefs, but we couldn't take the heat and humidity. We realize the weather on the west coast is similar to the northeast, but I believe some of the residents there are experiencing the same things we are.

Any thoughts to a conservative 4 seasons area of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 12:37 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Many parts of upstate NY are conservative/moderate. Far more than people think.

Central Pennsylvania and bits of New Jersey would do as well.

If you are looking for more of a red state with most of the natural settings of the northeast, it's a tall order. However, you may find something at least similar in western Maryland/northern West Virginia/southern Ohio if you are willing to take a cut to economy.

I am no expert but I believe northern Michigan is a fairly conservative area as well, or at least it once was.

I am surprised that New Hampshire and interior Maine are swinging so far left now.

Addendum: The more I think about it, the more I believe you may enjoy my home region of the Twin Tiers (Appalachian country along the border of NY/PA). Ithaca tends blue but most of the region on both sides stands purple or red, and is highly rural/small town/micro city.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:38 PM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
The Great Lakes area? Northern/western Michigan is fairly conservative.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:48 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
I can't imagine moving for the reasons the OP mentioned "politics, policies, taxes, bad schools, of our state and our area". I have never cared about any of that. I have never been active in any of that. I just wanted a nice place to live. Just mind your own business and you can live anywhere.

If your taxes are too high, move to a smaller, cheaper house. If you don't like the schools, and can't afford to send the kids to private school, move to a better school district in your part of the state. All the schools can't be bad! Even bad schools have classes for top students. Moving locally will likely be cheaper and easier than moving across country to some place you know nothing about. When your kids go to college they will most likely be exposed to all the things you are trying to run away from now.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:52 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Jeez if you think New England has bad schools there is frankly nowhere in America you can go.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:03 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I can't imagine moving for the reasons the OP mentioned "politics, policies, taxes, bad schools, of our state and our area". I have never cared about any of that. I have never been active in any of that. I just wanted a nice place to live. If your taxes are too high, move to a smaller, cheaper house. If you don't like the schools, and can't afford to send the kids to private school, move to a better school district in your part of the state. All the schools can't be bad! Even bad schools have classes for top students. When your kids go to college they will most likely be exposed to all the things you are trying to run away from now.
That's all wonderful, but it's irrelevant as all of those things are concerns for the OP. We all have our priorities and if those things influence and impact the OP's life enough to influence a move, then they should move. Different strokes.

OP, mind telling us where in New England you have experience with? I think you may find that there are going to be some conflicts almost anywhere you go. Generally speaking, good public school districts are synonymous with higher taxes. You can skirt this by finding a private school, but that's also an added expense that probably more than negates the amount you saved on taxes.

Without leaving New England, you can do well on most of those fronts in Northern New Hampshire (North of Route 2 generally) and in Central and Northern Maine (though taxes here will be higher). Schools will likely be the tougher sell in both places, so it really depends on what you're looking for. I also agree with others on parts of Upstate NY, West Virginia, Central PA, Southeastern OH, etc. Places in Northern Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc. will probably work for you too, though stay away from the larger cities.

I have some very conservative Air Force friends who were relocated from MA to Montana for a bit and absolutely adored it. They're looking to move back there when he's done with the Air Force (currently in Colorado). They loved the weather, the political climate, the live and let live attitude, and the people. Cost of living is drastically lower than most of New England as well, though I'm not sure about taxes in particular.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:06 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Jeez if you think New England has bad schools there is frankly nowhere in America you can go.
In fairness, there's a big gap between places like Wellesley Public Schools and, say, Maine's more rural/remote School Administrative Districts (SADs - for real).

Old 12-19-2019, 01:08 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Sad but true. Public schools in the US as a whole have been horrible for decades, and worse with each (and don't even get me started on how colleges are rejecting education in favor of feelings now).

Old 12-19-2019, 01:14 PM

216 posts, read 564,260 times
Quote:
I appologize, I didn't mean to use the word "bad". The schools in our area are better than many areas of the country...I admit that. They are however rapidly changing. State govt is looking to regionalize districts, busing kids from multiple towns into more centralized schools. Curriculum has changed drastically over the years. My son is in the 4th grade and doesn't know who George Washington is. He did however manage to come home one day chanting "A.O.C".

Private school was an option at one time, except it seems they are dissappearing year by year. Religious schools especially. They are almost taboo.

Again, bad wasn't the right word to use.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:15 PM

14,008 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
In fairness, there's a big gap between places like Wellesley Public Schools and, say, Maine's more rural/remote School Administrative Districts (SADs - for real).
I think RI is probably the bigger outlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.