Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 10:12 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Unless we have examples, I'm officially lost at what you are trying to prove.

And I put coastal in quotes ("") since some don't consider it a coastal city. I always have, I'm not getting caught up on that item.
I think he’s trying to prove how expensive houston is but with narrow parameters everywhere will be pricey but also pricier than Houston. This philly thing is a distraction. Is it right on the coast? I guess not but neither is seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 10:16 AM

8,348 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
They median and mean prices don't count in a sense because they don't apply to my situation. I'm trying to show that statistics do not tell the whole story. I've done my homework as far as Houston vs Denver and I am pretty sure that for the category of housing I describe there is basically no price difference. It is irrelevant to me that the average housing price in Denver is nearly double that of Houston. The reality is I have to pay almost Denver prices for a comparable home in Houston in my category.

Am I saying that there's no difference between the 2 cities? No. You can more easily convert time/safety into money in Houston as far as housing is concerned. If you're someone who makes only 70k a year it is much easier to find your American Dream in Houston.

I thought Philadelphia doesn't count because it's not a coastal city.
Youre going to have to provide specific examples at least on a neighborhood level to prove your point.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:53 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yea idk. I don’t know any cities with great public schools. There may be a few but I think even most of Seattle’s public schools are undesirable

If you’re including sugar land, there are a lot of homes well under 500k. Not sure they meet the thirty minute in rush hour mark but every city has traffic
I think Lynnwood in the Seattle area would be comparable. It's about 30 min from downtown and 3br+ homes start at around 550k. The schools are nice enough by my standard.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:19 PM

8,348 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
I think Lynnwood in the Seattle area would be comparable. It's about 30 min from downtown and 3br+ homes start at around 550k. The schools are nice enough by my standard.
Moving the goal posts.

You said you were referring to the cities themselves with good schools and single story houses.

However, lets follow this through. Lynnwood is similar in distance to Seattle as Sugar Land is to Houston (Lynnwood is 18 miles and Sugar Land is 24 miles to their respective cores). Houses in Sugar Land are readily available from the low 200's. In the First Colony area, you have great schools and exceptional safety. Many houses in that area are over 2000 square feet and less than 260k. In Lynnwood, what you get for 260k is...you can buy a lot of land. For something equivalent to what 260k buys in Sugar Land, you need roughly 750k for in Lynnwood.

Not...comparable...at...all.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

It gets increasingly more expensive once you try to raise a family in NYC....
Correct. Single guy can do NYC on the cheap. Try to look up what a 3 br purchase in Manhattan costs. You can buy a lot of Land Rovers with the price delta.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Depends where in Lynwood, I think they have some great school districts, and some so-so ones. Not sure if their best would match up with Sugarland or the Woodland's best. Lynwood to downtown Seattle is an awful commute and often over thirty minutes.

Here's a 3/2 TH (not sfh like you had wanted) in Lynwood for 479K, 1800 sq feet, decent schools I think, not best, but nothing wrong with them, from right now, at 1pm, it'll take 26 minutes, not bad.:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Lynnwood/1...home/101603513

Here's a 3/3.5 SFH, at 3 pm Houston time, it says it'll take 31 minutes, so about a wash time wise, 464K, 3000+ sq feet. That is a lot more house. It's a cursory glance, we can look in different ways, but that's a lot of value, schools are a wash:

https://www.redfin.com/TX/Houston/65...310932#schools

And it's in Houston

Houston looks even better if we expand the variables (further out, smaller square footage) etc.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:09 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Depends where in Lynwood, I think they have some great school districts, and some so-so ones. Not sure if their best would match up with Sugarland or the Woodland's best. Lynwood to downtown Seattle is an awful commute and often over thirty minutes.

Here's a 3/2 TH (not sfh like you had wanted) in Lynwood for 479K, 1800 sq feet, decent schools I think, not best, but nothing wrong with them, from right now, at 1pm, it'll take 26 minutes, not bad.:

Here's a 3/3.5 SFH, at 3 pm Houston time, it says it'll take 31 minutes, so about a wash time wise, 464K, 3000+ sq feet. That is a lot more house. It's a cursory glance, we can look in different ways, but that's a lot of value, schools are a wash:

And it's in Houston

Houston looks even better if we expand the variables (further out, smaller square footage) etc.
The WA home is a townhouse with $200 HOA fees. But taxes are $4,700.

The Houston home is a single home. Taxes are $10,000 and probably higher after the sale assessment.

So still not the same comparability. Truth is both places keep getting pricier. Houston with property taxes especially and if a HOA fee is a part.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
The WA home is a townhouse with $200 HOA fees. But taxes are $4,700.

The Houston home is a single home. Taxes are $10,000 and probably higher after the sale assessment.

So still not the same comparability. Truth is both places keep getting pricier. Houston with property taxes especially and if a HOA fee is a part.
The Houston place is quite a bit larger and newer. Both states don't have state income tax, so that's unique to Seattle, but I'm sure if we did this with Portland the results are similar. Everywhere is getting more expensive. He's narrowing his focus to being thirty minutes from downtown, if you expand it some, it becomes more lopsided in Houston''s favor. Since when is it such a bad thing to be affordable?

This is an older home in Sugar Land, 1900 sq feet, about 22 miles from downtown Houston, for 229k:

2131 Highland Hls
Sugar Land, TX 77478

Old 01-31-2020, 02:21 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
69k in NYC is just not a good idea. You can buy a house in Alief for 200k, which means your mortgage is around 1200.00. Where in NYC can you buy a 3br house for 200k?

yeah, I know you need a car in Houston, but comfort is important as well. Not even close, this is a humble brag by a Texas based magazine.
Nowhere. This article is a joke but it had its intended purpose of creating conversation

Old 01-31-2020, 02:31 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:

And it's in Houston

Ok, but wouldn't you admit that the cost differential isn't nearly as great as you would expect if you just know the average housing cost of the metros? If you look on zillow the median price of homes is 698,250 in Seattle and only around 190,000 for Houston. However houses clearly aren't three times more expensive in Seattle if you are only looking at central suburban homes zoned to good schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.