Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 11:41 PM

373 posts, read 253,060 times

Advertisements

What MSA's should have larger/smaller territories by annexation or secession of surrounding counties/suburbs/smaller MSA's?

I feel some time then census gets it wrong from not knowing enough about certain cities and using a formula that isnt the most representative of what a MSA or MD should be. Where do you guys think they made a mistake (if any)? List one of each please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:52 PM

I feel like NYC metro is way too extensive. It covers multiple states and it doesnt seen like a fair comparison against LA. I feel LA should include inland empire in its MSA and NYC should trim some of its MSA. LA would be 18 million people in MSA and it'll all be in same state in a continuous development. NYC should trim at least a few million people who are unfairly swallowed up in the NYC MSA. It's like they dont want to see a California MSA have the largest population in the country because LA is a newer city built mostly in 20th century. It's like the guys in DC want the east coast to maintain the largest MSA title for population status reasons. Idk

Old 03-17-2020, 01:02 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,002,937 times
I always thought Reno's MSA was too small. Carson City is like 25 minutes from downtown Reno, and has plenty of people who commute both ways, but is actually its own (small) MSA. However it is in Reno's CSA.

Douglas County, NV, forms a more-or-less contiguous chain of suburbs (Minden, Gardnerville) with Carson City, and also has people who commute to and from Reno, and it's not even in Reno's CSA.

------------------------------------

DC's MSA, on the other hand, includes some very rural, low-population counties in Virginia that are a long distance from the District and I've never understood that.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I always thought Reno's MSA was too small. Carson City is like 25 minutes from downtown Reno, and has plenty of people who commute both ways, but is actually its own (small) MSA. However it is in Reno's CSA.

Douglas County, NV, forms a more-or-less contiguous chain of suburbs (Minden, Gardnerville) with Carson City, and also has people who commute to and from Reno, and it's not even in Reno's CSA.

DC's MSA, on the other hand, includes some very rural, low-population counties in Virginia that are a long distance from the District and I've never understood that.
I agree with Carson city being part of Reno. It should be... and I absolutely agree about DC too. They're forcing other MSA's to not surpass America's most historically famous cities in population for whatever reasons.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:08 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

There's not much to be understood. Your county is brought into an MSA when it meets the 25% commuter threshold to either the core city or "core counties" of a metropolitan area. DC MSA is actually quite small compared to Dallas, Houston, Atlanta in sq mileage. Due to super commuting in the DC region, and being one of the most multi nodal metropolises in America, you will have some lower population counties on the edges that make the MSA standard because out in those parts of VA there is nothing to pull them into another metro in that direction. It's core population is along the I-95 corridor. There are heavily populated micropolitan areas like Fredericksburg/Spotsylvania 50 miles away from DC, so an exurban county only has to commute to there rather then go into the core in order to make it into the MSA. DC also has 2 plus million people outside it's MSA within 30 miles or less to it's immediate North and East, but that is cut off because it's Baltimore's MSA, which is exactly why CSA is often brought up in contrast here.

Last edited by the resident09; 03-17-2020 at 06:44 AM..

Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
I feel like NYC metro is way too extensive. It covers multiple states and it doesnt seen like a fair comparison against LA. I feel LA should include inland empire in its MSA and NYC should trim some of its MSA. LA would be 18 million people in MSA and it'll all be in same state in a continuous development. NYC should trim at least a few million people who are unfairly swallowed up in the NYC MSA. It's like they dont want to see a California MSA have the largest population in the country because LA is a newer city built mostly in 20th century. It's like the guys in DC want the east coast to maintain the largest MSA title for population status reasons. Idk
It might be more of a CSA thing, the Mercer County, NJ is an example of reaching for New York.

I remember one census the NYC CSA reached as far as Allentown, PA. I think it may have since been removed, that to me was ridiculous because Allentown is 90 miles from New York, yet Mercer County is like 20 miles from the Philadelphia border.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:57 AM

235 posts, read 331,587 times
Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill being two separate MSAs is crazy to me. Hopefully that changes back after the 2020 Census.

It'll also be interesting to see if Brunswick County NC returns to the Wilmington NC MSA after switching to Myrtle Beach recently.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:40 AM

93,334 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps the Buffalo area including Cattaraugus(already in CSA) and Chautauqua counties, given that it is the 3rd smallest metro in land area with at least 1 million people. I dare say that it is possible that the Buffalo and Rochester metros form a CSA, as the metros combined in land area are smaller than metros with a similar population of one of those metros. Together, those 2 adjacent metros have about 2.2 million people or so.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:02 AM

6,379 posts, read 5,495,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill being two separate MSAs is crazy to me. Hopefully that changes back after the 2020 Census.

It'll also be interesting to see if Brunswick County NC returns to the Wilmington NC MSA after switching to Myrtle Beach recently.
By far this is the most ridiculous MSA fluke in the country.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tion91 View Post
NYC’s MSA covers far too big an area. My wife is from there and has family hours from the city in both upstate NY and Connecticut that are part of it.

As for the IE being in LA’s I agree to a point. Because an MSA includes entire counties, the IE runs all the way to the Nevada and Arizona borders. Besides that, population centers like the Coachella Valley, and Victor Valley aren’t part of greater LA. The same can be said for the southern region that is more connected to San Diego. You’d need to shave about 1M off the IE’s population if you wanted to include it with LA’s MSA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.