Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 02:52 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,967,735 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Southern California. People visiting from out of state will joke about how people in Southern California drive slower when it rains while back in North Carolina or Pennsylvania or wherever they came from that was far Rainier than California, rain was much more frequent and so people would drive their normal speed on the rain because they were used to it.

But when I drove through Atlanta and rural South Carolina in rain, people definitely slowed down, because of low visibility, and even just because the road was slick.

On the other hand, driving through rural Oklahoma, I've noticed that even during a heavy thunderstorm drivers will still drive at eighty miles per hour and tailgate you, pretty aggressive driving if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 03:03 PM

21,650 posts, read 12,800,939 times
In Baltimore, yes.

In Boston, no.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
No, here in the Seattle area, people slow down when there is sun. Seriously, in the morning and evening when it's low in the sky and it's been raining the glare is nasty.

Even in summer, with our clear sky it's really bright when in your eyes.

Old 08-03-2020, 04:24 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,012,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, here in the Seattle area, people slow down when there is sun. Seriously, in the morning and evening when it's low in the sky and it's been raining the glare is nasty.

Even in summer, with our clear sky it's really bright when in your eyes.
Yeah I've noticed this too. I'm not from Seattle, and I notice that when it's raining I'm always one of the slowest people on the road, but when it isn't I'm one of the faster ones.

Old 08-03-2020, 05:41 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,090,757 times
On the Jersey Turnpike, no.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:15 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,706,332 times
Yes, in both Atlanta and the twin cities.

This is a somewhat normal phenomenon....wherein every city thinks their drivers are: the worst, most aggressive, passive aggressive, slowest, rudest, etc.

Obviously they can't all be

Old 08-03-2020, 06:30 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,988,215 times
Oil builds up on the road after months with no rain and the roads get really slick after the first rain. So it may be raining just a little and we slow down in Southern California. Also people are more likely to describe it as "pouring" when most other places would consider it normal rain. People will put their wipers on the fastest setting when it could be on normal or even delayed.

I have been in places all over the country and when it really is pouring many people will pull over. I've seen that in the NE, SE, and Midwest. Sometimes drive less than 25 mph on a freeway with flashers on. Don't think that I've ever seen that in California.

Old 08-03-2020, 06:30 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I am originally from Southern California. People visiting from out of state will joke about how people in Southern California drive slower when it rains while back in North Carolina or Pennsylvania or wherever they came from that was far Rainier than California, rain was much more frequent and so people would drive their normal speed on the rain because they were used to it.

But when I drove through Atlanta and rural South Carolina in rain, people definitely slowed down, because of low visibility, and even just because the road was slick.

On the other hand, driving through rural Oklahoma, I've noticed that even during a heavy thunderstorm drivers will still drive at eighty miles per hour and tailgate you, pretty aggressive driving if you ask me.
I fit the category and I definitely slow down, especially When the rain has just started. At that point the road is very slick.

Old 08-03-2020, 07:04 PM

16,097 posts, read 10,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
In Oklahoma they are trying to outrun a tornado so, yes, they do floor it. There might be a house chasing them. In Kansas you have to pause a bit to see which tornado is closest.

Here in New Mexico drivers slow down but not enough. During a storm the wind blows dust as it is raining and you get mud on the windshield smeared by the wipers. You can't see at all then. It rains so seldom that no one knows how to drive in it and the road dust gets slick. Out of state drivers don't realize what is happening. Sometimes during monsoon season it will dump a couple inches in just a few minutes.

Old 08-03-2020, 11:34 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
In Louisiana? No.

In Denver? My god they can't drive in snow or rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.